Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 2/23/2024 at 1:46 PM, Mazrimiv said:

Bak has been named 1st team all-pro twice, with 3 more 2nd team.  I'd argue "future HOF left tackle" is a bit of a long shot.

Obviously you prefer to be a first team All-pro but in my own personal Hall of Fame calculations I've stopped sweating the difference between first team and second team.... In the case of offensive tackle second team, all pro works out to "oh, he was no worse than the 4th best out of 64 potential players at his position 5 times? HoFer"

Of course I'm not a voter... And I certainly lean towards first team being more impressive than second team, so Bakh's resume is more "really good resume, needs to be in the discussion" vs the slam dunk a 5x first team all pro would be

4 hours ago, Leader said:

He was a rookie kicker.  We all knew there would be ups and downs.  They'll give him some competition but don't be surprised if he's our kicker next year.  Expect him to have a good season.  Patience is a virtue. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Does this mean the current asst O line coach is leaving?

I don't think they had an assistant OLine coach after Connor Lewis was moved to assistant QB coach.  They hired Mannion to assists with QBs and WR's recently, but I think that's a new role. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

10 hours ago, Scoremore said:

He was a rookie kicker.  We all knew there would be ups and downs.  They'll give him some competition but don't be surprised if he's our kicker next year.  Expect him to have a good season.  Patience is a virtue. 

I'll hope for the best....which is the most I can do.  The reason I posted that comment was that it highlighted how many games he was a critical factor in on our winning/losing. I didnt realize it was that many and given our record and how tight it got to "get in or go home", it played an outsized role in our season.

11 hours ago, Scoremore said:

9 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't think they had an assistant OLine coach after Connor Lewis was moved to assistant QB coach.  They hired Mannion to assists with QBs and WR's recently, but I think that's a new role. 

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Ryan Mahaffey is/was the Asst. OL coach.

Yep

https://www.packers.com/team/coaches-roster/

Packers will be making a Bak decision before the start of the league year, which is fast approaching.  I'm guessing they have given Bak an option to return on a drastically reduced contract, and he's mulling his decision.  Bak posted the other day about something not making sense in his head, but that his heart was in GB.  I'm guessing he doesn't want to take drastic pay cut and will be released in the coming days.  We'll see.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/packers-hope-to-make-david-bakhtiari-decision-before-start-of-league-year

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Packers will be making a Bak decision before the start of the league year, which is fast approaching.  I'm guessing they have given Bak an option to return on a drastically reduced contract, and he's mulling his decision.  Bak posted the other day about something not making sense in his head, but that his heart was in GB.  I'm guessing he doesn't want to take drastic pay cut and will be released in the coming days.  We'll see.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/packers-hope-to-make-david-bakhtiari-decision-before-start-of-league-year

Reality is a *****.  No one is going to shell out for him.  

23 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I mean is anyone going to throw money at him without it being incentive heavy? It's the sad reality of the situation. I still think there is a slim chance he is back, but it's probably after seeing what's out there.