Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

With the Nixon re-signing, it seems our most pressing/obvious needs are now OG, LB, S, with OT, DL, CB as more nice-to-have/depth/future-proofing needs. RB should also be in one of those categories, but I'm not sure which one.

I do like the intangibles surrounding Nixon, I will say that. Added ST value, seems to be a candidate for a leadership role, locker room fit, rugged/hard nosed player. Still hope they draft a Jarrian Jones, Tykee Smith, or another "slot" guy with some added twitch for that position as well. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, I'm not getting the continuing discussion about whether Jones didn't want to accept a RB2 role behind Jacobs.  It was fun to think about a Jacobs/Jones backfield when the Jacobs deal was initially announced, but it's clear now that both of them in GB was never going to happen.

My first though when I saw they signed Jacobs was that the pay cut thing fell thru with Jones.  The wording of a tweet from Rapport then made it seem likely that Jones would be back.  That was never going to be the case once they agreed to terms with Jacobs.  Jacobs is a lead back, 100 percent.

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

And Jones being cut was fine? 🤣

I honestly figured last season was his final season with the Packers before week 1.  Like the Packers are always going to cut a guy a year too early instead of too late, and the track record for 30 year old RBs is bad.

Seems a big contract for Nixon.   Wonder if Pack were negotiating against themselves or Nixon was getting similar offers in FA from others as well.    I've given up being drafted, I might have to shift focus and try to get in the room where it happens

last year the reported number on the nixon deal was a lot higher than the actual number i remember. bet that's the case again. if not, whatever, i don't hate the number and love what nixon brings in terms of juice