Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lot of folks not remembering what Collins looked like as a baby

We always hear about how he struggled early but he really didn't. I think he got bashed because he got his hands on so many balls but didn't hang on to all of them.

Collins first two seasons:

4 INTs 

22 PDs 

4 FFs 

128 Solo Tackles

5 TFLs

Harrison Smith's first 2 PROBOWL seasons:

2 INTs

5 PDs 

1 FF

118 Solo Tackles

7 TFLs

Earl Thomas' first two PROBOWL seasons:

5 INTs

15 PDs

2 FFs 

111 Solo Tackles

8 TFLs

Edited by wgbeethree
Added ET
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

We always hear about how he struggled early but he really didn't. I think he got bashed because he got his hands on so many balls but didn't hang on to all of them.

4 INTs 

22 PDs 

4 FFs 

128 Solo Tackles

5 TFLs

2 INTs

5 PDs 

1 FF

118 Solo Tackles

7 TFLs

I don't have anything concrete to dispute this, but I remember everyone being fairly disappointed with his play in his first couple seasons.

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I don't have anything concrete to dispute this, but I remember everyone being fairly disappointed with his play in his first couple seasons.

People being disappointed in a players play is not equivalent to the players play being disappointing.

Fans in general....and GB Packer fans certainly have a claim to a high ranking....are consistent in being disappointed in play that is less than all pro level.  

I'm more than pleased we're done with:

Brice - he of the lousy coverage skills and guided missile tackling techniques.

HHCD - he of the "Get my Agent on the line cause I might have to make a tackle next time I go on the field and need to know my market value" skill set.

and yes.....everybody's fav from the past.....

DR - he of so many things already dissected that theres no bodily tissue left to cut in to......

I see a beautiful sunrise on the horizon before us - and eagerly want to drive towards it - leaving these dark clouds to disappear in the past.

And no - I dont need to drag an entirely new body (Collins) into this "post draft overly analytical psychosis" thats befallen us.

Edited by Leader

10 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I think there were two real reaaons for this. Like I said before he got his hands on so many balls and dropped quite a few. People remember your failures much more than your success when you're unproven (vice versa when you are).

Secondly, people thought TT was a complete idiot. They absolutely HATED him for selecting Rodgers and then he drafted some guy they never heard of from some school they never heard of. They wanted him to fail so they could be right. He had an uphill battle simply because people didn't want to like him. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

4 INTs 

22 PDs 

4 FFs 

128 Solo Tackles

5 TFLs

2 INTs

5 PDs 

1 FF

118 Solo Tackles

7 TFLs

Earl Thomas' first two PROBOWL seasons:

5 INTs

15 PDs

2 FFs 

111 Solo Tackles

8 TFLs

Safety has never been about the stats in a case like this. Talented rookies with wheels will always get to a few of them. 

The issue is what they give up, which is much harder to quantify especially a decade later.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

What do you remember from year oneish?

I remember a kid that absolutely excelled at coming up fast and tackling.  Looked kind of lost as a centerfielder.  Hands were pretty poor back there, too.  But the one thing I remember was his speed coming forward and his ability to flat out stick a guy after coming up fast.

If that is all Savage does in year one, I'll be happy.  But I think he has more man cover ability and probably better hands right away.

I thought that the tipping point for Collins was Woodson.  Once Woody came over, things got easier for Nick.  Maybe it was leadership, maybe he mentored Nick, maybe having a stud corner makes a safeties life easier...or all the above.  I choose to believe that Woodson really helped him develop.  Miss that guy very much.

At no point in his career was Collins ever more than slightly above average at coming up and hitting. Certainly not as a rookie.

CHTV:

Earlier today, Mark Murphy renewed the Packers public interest in hosting the NFL draft:

"We've applied to host in 2022 and later.

Each city is putting its own mark, its own stamp. For us, Lambeau Field would be the center of it, and our history and tradition, and with Titletown. The Resch Center would be a big part of it, and the Expo Hall as well.

The reason we have put it off until then is the new Expo Hall. They're just about to start construction of that. That will be an integral part of our bid.

It's going to be difficult to get 600,000 people in this area. The league is kind of treating this like the Super Bowl. It's going to go from NFL city to NFL city. They're really focusing on communities that will probably never host a Super Bowl"

I don't know if the draft needs to be the same kind of event every year.  Like Vegas and Nashville can swing the "enormous outdoor party" concept, but the draft is first and foremost a tv event so it doesn't really matter how many people show up if enough people watch on tv.

22 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't know if the draft needs to be the same kind of event every year.  Like Vegas and Nashville can swing the "enormous outdoor party" concept, but the draft is first and foremost a tv event so it doesn't really matter how many people show up if enough people watch on tv.

Understood - but the trend - once the spectacle goes LARGE (as it has) - isnt to downsize it.

People will watch it on TV - and the NFL is keenly interested in how that image goes over.

Regardless - my point of interest has been and remains - infrastructure. You've got to get 600,000 people in and out - quick and easy - and - accommodate them for the three days they're in Green Bay with food, lodging, recreational activities etc.

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

At no point in his career was Collins ever more than slightly above average at coming up and hitting. Certainly not as a rookie.

You and I remember things differently.  I remember, rookie year, we played someone early, could have been the Rams, but I"m not sure (going from memory here), offense throws a pass to the left flat.  RB is wide open.  Turns, catches the ball and there is a blur on the screen.  Collins comes up, sticks him dead in his tracks for a loss of yardage.  I saw pretty much that same play 5-6 times that year.  About as many times as I saw balls clank off of his hands.  That was my memory of him as a young player.  Give him a target and he will get there, fast.  Make him read to where a target is, and he will struggle some.  Thought Woody taught him more of how to read an offense.