Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

16 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Was Derek Barnett not fined for his running start headshot on Jamaal Williams? I thought a one game suspension was in order, but I’m not seeing even a fine. 

I don't think he was fined .. or it hasn't been announced yet.  This pissed me off .. we lose a key offensive player for basically two games to an illegal hit from Barnett.  He gets a 15 yard penalty and gets to keep playing and impacting games.  The NFL is a joke .. players that illegally concuss another player should not be allowed to play until the other guy returns to action.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't think he was fined .. or it hasn't been announced yet.  This pissed me off .. we lose a key offensive player for basically two games to an illegal hit from Barnett.  He gets a 15 yard penalty and gets to keep playing and impacting games.  The NFL is a joke .. players that illegally concuss another player should not be allowed to play until the other guy returns to action.

There was a good answer to that on another site. If Mack hit Lazard and he (Lazard) was concussed, the Packers could just leave him on IR all year so Mack couldn't play either. There does need to be a fine,an  ejection if warranted and possibly game suspensions that increase if caught multiple times (like Burfict). I would also say that if any team shows a pattern of illegal hits, the relevant coordinator of that team is also open to fines and a possible ban.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

There was a good answer to that on another site. If Mack hit Lazard and he (Lazard) was concussed, the Packers could just leave him on IR all year so Mack couldn't play either.......

Any such rule would be crafted so exactly that action would be impossible.

6 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

There was a lot in that play to suggest that the hit was unnecessary and deliberate. Two of his players already had JW in the grasp and moving away from positive yardage. He accelerated just at the point that he probably realized JW was not going anywhere. And he hit him helmet to helmet way up high.

I thought the NFL had a specific day that they announced fines and suspensions for the prior week, but I certainly hope the delay is due to considering the consequence's for Barnett's carefully. It would be absolute garbage for him not to pick up at minimum the typical fines for late hit/head shot.

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

There was a lot in that play to suggest that the hit was unnecessary and deliberate. Two of his players already had JW in the grasp and moving away from positive yardage. He accelerated just at the point that he probably realized JW was not going anywhere. And he hit him helmet to helmet way up high.

I thought the NFL had a specific day that they announced fines and suspensions for the prior week, but I certainly hope the delay is due to considering the consequence's for Barnett's carefully. It would be absolute garbage for him not to pick up at minimum the typical fines for late hit/head shot.

He was fined $28,000 and did not receive a suspension:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-derek-barnett-avoids-suspension-for-helmet-to-helmet-hit-on-packers-jamaal-williams/

I agree with others that he should've been suspended. 

9 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

He was fined $28,000 and did not receive a suspension:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-derek-barnett-avoids-suspension-for-helmet-to-helmet-hit-on-packers-jamaal-williams/

I agree with others that he should've been suspended. 

The last time I was as incensed about a dirty hit, as I was the Barnett hit, was when Barr took out Rodgers.  I can’t believe the league would give that booger-eating moron a fine only.  I hate this league.

16 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

The last time I was as incensed about a dirty hit, as I was the Barnett hit, was when Barr took out Rodgers.  I can’t believe the league would give that booger-eating moron a fine only.  I hate this league.

We need to get over Barr. That was questionable if it was even roughing. Those hits aren't even comparable

• Like 2

Barnett wasn't suspended from that game because when they reviewed the tape it wasn't viewed as malicious intent. That hit on Devante looked way worse and dirty by Danny T and it was done out of malice due to frustration.  The Barnett fine was justified but I don't think he should have been suspended because I don't think he really tried to maliciously hurt Williams, looked like he was trying to get in on the play.

Edited by St Vince

11 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Barnett wasn't suspended from that game because when they reviewed the tape it wasn't viewed as malicious intent. That hit on Devante looked way worse and dirty by Danny T and it was done out of malice due to frustration.  The Barnett fine was justified but I don't think he should have been suspended because I don't think he really tried to maliciously hurt Williams, looked like he was trying to get in on the play.

Nobody knows but Williams himself but anybody that takes that kind of dangerous head hunting shot should be ejected.  Taking Williams out on the 1st drive of the day directly affected the Packers running game.  Big deal .. 15 yards and for Philly, it was well worth it to put him out of the game.  A suspension maybe not be warranted but ejection ... yes. 

4 hours ago, St Vince said:

The Barnett fine was justified but I don't think he should have been suspended because I don't think he really tried to maliciously hurt Williams, looked like he was trying to get in on the play.

I just don't know what you were looking at on that hit. Williams was effectively immobile, he had already tried to sag his knees to sink down to end the play but was held up by the d lineman. Barnett hit him in the second worse place (second only to coming up under the chin), on the side of Williams helmet with the front of his. the hit was so hard you can see Williams helmet deform with the impact. This was not an attempt to knock out the ball (which was held down at Williams waist, at the time). It was a premeditated helmet to helmet by Barnett, possibly with the collusion of the D lineman, against a helpless target.

If there was any doubt about the early intent of the Eagles, witness another head to head just before the play on the kickoff against Shepherd, the kick returner.  What Barnett's hit absolutely wasn't, was 'just trying to get in on the play'. That was what I saw on that hit. I think the Eagles cynically went for a couple of head to head collisions early, before the refs were into the flow of the game.