Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, 15412 said:
25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is Lane Taylor at 4 million dollars worth trading a draft pick for if you know his home team isn't going to keep him?

Did we keep him this year?  Can we keep him next year?  He has started a number of NFL games and in the right system this young player may prosper beyond what we have seen thus far.  A team would not be trading for a maybe, they would be trading for what they see is a young NFL starter.  Then again, perhaps he takes a pay cut to stay with us.  Or maybe the team as in this year sees him as valuable insurance.  That's how we sell him on draft day or later.  Nobody is saying he's going to bring a ton, but might bring a team in need a greater likelihood of a starter more so than a 5th round pick gives them.

Lane Taylor is 30 years old

I don't think it would take more than a 7th to trade for him, but none of us can see us keeping him at that price tag, so why would anyone else? 

44 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Did we keep him this year?  Can we keep him next year?  He has started a number of NFL games and in the right system this young player may prosper beyond what we have seen thus far.  A team would not be trading for a maybe, they would be trading for what they see is a young NFL starter.  Then again, perhaps he takes a pay cut to stay with us.  Or maybe the team as in this year sees him as valuable insurance.  That's how we sell him on draft day or later.  Nobody is saying he's going to bring a ton, but might bring a team in need a greater likelihood of a starter more so than a 5th round pick gives them.

I think you're struggling to realize how much DPs are valued in the NFL.  If you think a team is giving up a 5th round pick for him, I think you're mistaken.

• Like 1

I say we just keep Taylor and have a backup IOL who has had a really good season in the past because we've been spoiled with injuries this season and that 3 million dollars we save would be a lot nicer to not save if we get 8 weeks into the season and don't have a starting caliber IOL. 

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think you're struggling to realize how much DPs are valued in the NFL.  If you think a team is giving up a 5th round pick for him, I think you're mistaken.

For a man who can come in and start immediately, and might have real motivation to perform, I think potential value is being underestimated is all I am saying.   We don't know how the Packers value him, but enough to pay him this year even if he had been healthy possibly.  He may be back with us after a hair cut next year.  I'm not saying he'd bring a 5th, but even a swap from early to late in the 5th round is indeed value.   Maybe it's just me, I like to trade value and barter.  I'll gladly share my stolen ham sandwich and bowl of sauerkraut with you, as long as you can supply me with a nice cold pint of lager. 

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I say we just keep Taylor and have a backup IOL who has had a really good season in the past because we've been spoiled with injuries this season and that 3 million dollars we save would be a lot nicer to not save if we get 8 weeks into the season and don't have a starting caliber IOL. 

If we stack injuries it's obviously an issue, but if we are going to re-sign Bulaga and Bakh in the next 12 months I would probably rather shed the Taylor cap. We're also paying Linsley #8 center money, and starting next year Turner will be top 15 guard money. 

Taylor saves $4.1m

18 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

If we stack injuries it's obviously an issue, but if we are going to re-sign Bulaga and Bakh in the next 12 months I would probably rather shed the Taylor cap. We're also paying Linsley #8 center money, and starting next year Turner will be top 15 guard money. 

Taylor saves $4.1m

Yea, I think at some point you have to look at how much $ the team is sinking into the OL and try to trim it down. They already rank at #5 in OL spending for 2020 w/o Bulaga and probably #2 w/ Bulaga. 

It’s luxury-depth at a non-premium position.

Is the difference between [0.5yr of Jenkins + 0.5yr of Taylor] and [0.5yr of Jenkins + 0.5yr of replacement-level player] worth $4.5m?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

It’s luxury-depth at a non-premium position.

It comes down to a talent and depth evaluations. Relative to other positions, sure the OL will take a back seat, but when the OL was getting trampled and run over last year, nobody felt we'd overspent on it. No. We'd let talent walk, were into plug and play situations with lesser skilled players and it showed on the field. 

33 minutes ago, Leader said:

when the OL was getting trampled and run over last year, nobody felt we'd overspent on it.

They didn’t get trampled that much last year. Probably were a top-10 OL over the course of the season even with the injuries. 

And it’s not like the money saved on Taylor would just disappear. It’d be used in other ways, so there are tradeoffs. Maybe you can patch a hole in an actual starting position, or combine with other money to make a stronger patch (read ‘more-likely-to-succeed’).

On 12/26/2019 at 3:21 PM, FinneasGage said:

sullivan been playing high level despite some continuing to proclaim him jag

I love players like Sullivan and Lazard, its absolutely insulting to call the production theyve given us as "jag".  Sullivan has played better than Josh Jones or Josh Jackson, both second rounders

1 hour ago, HeresAGuy said:

I love players like Sullivan and Lazard, its absolutely insulting to call the production theyve given us as "jag".  Sullivan has played better than Josh Jones or Josh Jackson, both second rounders

what you are forgetting is that "jag" is actually just another way of saying "mid-tier starter"

3 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

what you are forgetting is that "jag" is actually just another way of saying "mid-tier starter"

Mid tier starter is more than JAG.  I'd consider them pretty good players.  JAG is a player easily replaced that shouldn't be a starter.  Maybe a guy like Lancaster.  Goodson would be another.  Allison JAG. Guys playing on vet minimum deals.  King and T-Will I'd consider mid level starters.  Good solid players.  How I see it anyway.  Too early to label Sullivan and Lazard.  Those guys are intriguing.  They may end up being JAG's or something more.  Sullivan has certainly flashed.  Lazard same deal.  Love his toughness.  See how they develop in time.