Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

The old goats have money. The kids/grandkids they hand the tickets to may not

Yeah I don't get that thought. Old people have the means to afford this stuff. If anything I think more $$ could help push young people out too. You ever see how much it costs to take a young family to a game now?

• Like 1

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Yeah I don't get that thought. Old people have the means to afford this stuff. If anything I think more $$ could help push young people out too. You ever see how much it costs to take a young family to a game now?

Couldnt tell ya what it costs in Green Bay, but in the overall its becoming "crushing" for your run of the mill middle-class fan to take his kids to a even a handful of games.

Aaron Nagler -   Hard for Packers fans not to feel some kind of PTSD at the thought of yet another free agent tight end, but that said, at least Hooper would fit the mold of the kind of guy Gutekunst was successful with last offseason: Young and ascending rather than at the end of his career.

• Zach Kruse -   This TE class in the draft looks really bad, but it's really strong at OT and WR. Makes some sense for the Packers to solve TE by adding Hooper and then address OT/WR in the draft.
Edited by Leader

38 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

The old goats have money.

The guy I buy tix from is selling them on behalf of his grandpa ( old goat)
The prices will bump up slightly, but there's plenty of margin for both the Packers and the ticket-selling public

Decent tix go for $250 - 300 per seat on the secondary market and the Packers keep raising prices to get a slice of that pie.
The other part of the tix increase that is a sore spot is the Packers opponents are griping that their share of Packer game tix sales should be higher

Murphy commented on it in a recent presser.

Other teams: " You have a waiting list of 135k fans, increase the prices so our share grows"
Dear Other Teams: Eat ****

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler -   Hard for Packers fans not to feel some kind of PTSD at the thought of yet another free agent tight end, but that said, at least Hooper would fit the mold of the kind of guy Gutekunst was successful with last offseason: Young and ascending rather than at the end of his career.

• Zach Kruse -   This TE class in the draft looks really bad, but it's really strong at OT and WR. Makes some sense for the Packers to solve TE by adding Hooper and then address OT/WR in the draft.

If the Packers let Bulaga walk and think they're going to patch that mammoth hole with a first year rookie OT, while we're in the midst of trying to make a Super Bowl run, I'm going to break some sh*t. 

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If the Packers let Bulaga walk and think they're going to patch that mammoth hole with a first year rookie OT, while we're in the midst of trying to make a Super Bowl run, I'm going to break some sh*t. 

Make sure its just your sh*t that you break :)

42 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm with you.  Especially if we sign ANOTHER FA TE to a big 3rd contract in favor of Bulaga.

Woo! finally some meaningful Packers news!

Generally I don't have a problem with Hooper as a FA target for the Packers.  I have watched him play a few times I've come away each time thinking "he's pretty good".  A player like that is always welcome on the Packers.

However my problem is this....we will be paying a lot of coin to acquire Hooper's services and Rodgers has a long history of inconsistently throwing to TEs. He doesn't lean on them as much as does with his wide receivers. The highest Finley ever caught in a season was 61 catches which is mediocre compared to top TEs around the NFL, Graham this year had only 38 catches despite the sh*tshow at #2 WR and being one of the highest paid TE in the NFL. These two facts seems at odds with each other.

I think we would be better off investing the money at WR if we're serious about putting weapons around Rodgers such as Amari Cooper or Robby Anderson. Cut Graham and go big in FA for a WR? The downside of this is that by having two highly paid receivers it can hamstrung us in our ability to upgrade in other positions, it happened to us very recently paying both Nelson and Cobb big coin.

However if the Packers brass are playing the long game then getting a TE like Hooper would be better for the franchise QB of the future as generally speaking rookie QBs tend to lean on TEs more. Not only that, getting another TE would fit with LaFleur's offensive system better especially with Hooper as he is a decent blocker which in turn helps the run game and generate elements of unpredictability for opposing defences - is it a run, is it a pass? Rodgers will just have to adapt and go with it. In theory Rodgers should benefit from it especially with the play action passes.

There's no right or wrong answer. Its simply a matter of preference.

I've always felt Rodgers needed receivers who can turn quickly on a dime. Rodgers is a timing based QB who throws to receivers who can get that initial separation - see Driver, Cobb, Jennings, Adams. Receivers who are not as agile simply don't get thrown to as much as they're too slow to turn around in time to be in position to receive Rodger's passes. It never made sense to me why the Packers brass went big and fast at WR in recent years when they simply don't have the agility of smaller receivers that Rodgers had so much success with. Nelson was just simply an outlier.

Same reason for play action and broken down plays, he needs his WRs to adjust quickly to change direction in order to facilitate Rodgers passes. Bigger guys can't quite do that and it partly explains why Rodgers has been so inconsistent throwing to TEs.

He has never been a chuck it up to big receiver and hope for the best sort of QB. That's only for hail marys. He's all about precision and timing.

Edited by Chili

PackersWire -  Teams wanting to sign free agent linebacker Blake Martinez may have to pay at least eight figures per year to get a deal done. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Martinez – an unrestricted free agent coming off three-straight 140-tackle seasons – is seeking “at least $10 million per year” on a new deal. The Packers aren’t currently willing to meet those demands, which likely means Martinez is headed for the open market.

If Martinez leaves, the Packers will have to rebuild the position from the ground up, with only Oren Burks, Ty Summers and Curtis Bolton leftover at linebacker. It’s possible a mix of free agency and the draft could provide answers.

Edited by Leader

55 minutes ago, Leader said:

PackersWire -  Teams wanting to sign free agent linebacker Blake Martinez may have to pay at least eight figures per year to get a deal done. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Martinez – an unrestricted free agent coming off three-straight 140-tackle seasons – is seeking “at least $10 million per year” on a new deal. The Packers aren’t currently willing to meet those demands, which likely means Martinez is headed for the open market.

If Martinez leaves, the Packers will have to rebuild the position from the ground up, with only Oren Burks, Ty Summers and Curtis Bolton leftover at linebacker. It’s possible a mix of free agency and the draft could provide answers.

I like Blake but hell no @ $10m per.

24 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I like Blake but hell no @ $10m per.

PackerNews -  According to the agents, Martinez is seeking a deal of at least $10 million per year, which would put him just inside the top 10 of inside linebacker salaries. The Packers want to pay less, potentially in the $8 million per year range, depending on the structure of the deal.

Add on:

According to multiple agents who have been tracking the free-agent market, the Packers are exploring what it would take to sign former Wisconsin inside linebacker Joe Schobert of the Cleveland Browns.

It doesn’t mean the Packers aren’t interested in re-signing Martinez, the team’s leading tackler each of the three past seasons, but they are apparently covering all their bases before free agency begins March 18.

The 6-1, 245-pound Schobert is considered one of the top inside linebackers in a thin class of free agents that includes Martinez and the Los Angeles Rams’ Cory Littleton. Schobert and Littleton haven’t accumulated the tackles Martinez has, but they are both considered better in coverage.

Schobert, a Waukesha native, made more big plays in 2019 than any of the three, totaling two sacks, four interceptions, 13 passes broken up and two forced fumbles. In 2017, Schobert tied with Martinez and Buffalo’s Preston Brown for the league lead in tackles with 144.

<All three (Littleton, Schobert and Martinez) are 26 years old. It'll be interesting to see how the market defines them>

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1