Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Because he doesn't want to dignify it and give it legs.

That's fairly typical from AR, especially after some of his earlier run- ins with PFT and " Aaron hates cancer patients"

Rodgers did express frustration about  off season moves.  Radio row at the Super Bowl, shortly after Jordy was released, might have been others as well.  Not denying it lets the story continue to have legs.   Rodgers track record is to shoot down stories that are fabrication.  His play on the #fakenews is far from a denial for me.  

Per some internet outlet:

"The Packers on Tuesday signed the nine players they tendered as exclusive rights free agents: WR Geronimo Allison, CB Donatello Brown, QB Joe Callahan, WR Michael Clark, FB Joe Kerridge, G Justin McCray, G/T Adam Pankey, G Lucas Patrick, S Jermaine Whitehead "

Allegedly AR is pissed off because he wanted input on the order in which they were listed in the press release

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Anyone see the HHCD interview on Packers.com ?

I was uncomfortable just watching it. He seemed very off-putting to me. Has he always interviewed like that ?

Rodgers did an excellent job all things considered

He's always talked like that IIRC.

edit: I do like that he said that even though he had 80 Tackles/3 picks, he said he expected more from himself.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Rodgers did an excellent job all things considered

Agreed. Its gotta be really tough to handle it because one missed word and Packer Nation pulls out the pitchforks and the HaraKiri swords. Meanwhile there are 23 mics in his face hoping for a juicy nugget or an angle to light up the twitterverse. Dude can't win, but he's pretty effing savvy. Watch all the pauses and the pursing of lips as he ponders his answers during the grill session. He misses his friends

Of course he's disappointed and he's super competitive, so he believes HE could have worked something out. That's why he says this about Jordy:

"Especially when he's playing for another team" meaning Nelson's not done in AR's view. Players don't buy into the "better a year too soon than a year too late" mantra, but personnel guys do. GB had to either move Jordy to slot and dump Cobb, or cut Jordy and keep Randall in the slot.

Keeping Jordy outside was a non-starter from the Packers view, so they went with the younger guy in Cobb ( also a close friend of AR)  

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

"Hard to imagine how basic that whole franchise must have been, that far back. Imagine (for example) a situation where very few players had cars, where football was a sport outside of a players normal job. Very different"

Indeed it was. I should write a book about my experiences some time :)

16 hours ago, squire12 said:

Rodgers did express frustration about  off season moves.  Radio row at the Super Bowl, shortly after Jordy was released, might have been others as well.  Not denying it lets the story continue to have legs.   Rodgers track record is to shoot down stories that are fabrication.  His play on the #fakenews is far from a denial for me.  

Report comes out in morning, he has availability to say all the right things in the afternoon. This has his agent written all of it. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Don't understand why GB never does this. This at least the 2nd or 3rd player whose contract the Eagles have reworked this offseason to gain cap space. They are probably gearing up for another FA move.

Because sooner or later you have to pay the piper. They are just delaying the pain and someday, they will have to shed players as they will have no choice. Ted always took the long view and it appears Gute feels the same.

45 minutes ago, GBPFan said:

Because sooner or later you have to pay the piper. They are just delaying the pain and someday, they will have to shed players as they will have no choice. Ted always took the long view and it appears Gute feels the same.

That day is already here. They had to let promising TE Trey Burton walk along with talented DL Vinny Curry. Ouch. They also lost DL Beau Allen and will soon be without the services of LB Mychal Kendricks in another cap clearing move. Those are players they would have preferred to keep, but the cap/contract situation puts them in a bind. So they'll just rely on cheap labor in the draft right ? Except they haven't got a 2nd or a 3rd this year because they traded them away.

No cash and a depleted draft quiver are probably not the model to emulate. 

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Don't understand why GB never does this. This at least the 2nd or 3rd player whose contract the Eagles have reworked this offseason to gain cap space. They are probably gearing up for another FA move.

It's not magic. These guys, in most cases.. Didn't look at this one, still get that money. You create space now that you lose later. You keep doing it and then what happens? Stay tuned the the eagles and find out.

As I understand, you're just flipping salary into guaranteed SB money. It's not a bad idea but it buys you space in the short term. Theoretically, you could sign whoever you were going to without moving his money but doing that with their guaranteed signing bonus money right?

Edited by NormSizedMidget

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

All they've done is bumped up his cap hit in other years, and also converted non guaranteed money into guaranteed money. Really the only person on this roster that would be smart to do this too is Rodgers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I'm guessing you have NO idea how contracts work.