Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Not sure on the obligations for media availability over the Favre era to now.

It's not about a players contract.  But the obligation of the player to speak to the media.  You either have that standard for all athletes or not.  

Even if Favre didn't like Sharpe not speaking to the media, it wasn't his place to say anything at that point in time. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20

15 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Funchess has already said he's attending. I expect all the others to, as well. Rodgers has the kind of money to skip as much as he wants. Most of the receivers do not.............and while Adams does earn big bucks, I doubt he sits out compulsory OTAs when the other receivers are attending (as I expect them to). They all stayed out together, so they will probably all attend together.

I also see them being there but haven’t heard anything apart from Funchess attending, we’ll soon see. It’s an interesting year for the WR corps.  Most are not signed for next season so this is a huge year for them whether or not they remain in GB.  12 being there is very important for these guys to showcase their best in a contract year, so they are going to cater to their QB, but I hope he is to them, as well.

Pretty sure this Ty Dunne interview of MVS has been posted but a big take away, and not breaking news, is you don’t just step into an AR led offense and click on day one.  There is the playbook and then there is the way he runs it and adds his adjustments to players he trusts.  The WRs have built up that trust and are poised to have a great year as long as 12 is under center.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/why-you-must-believe-in-marquez-valdes

Edited by Refugee

4 hours ago, deathstar said:

It can both be true that Osaka signed a contract to have media appearances and that there is room to grow in regards to media obligations and mental health. I don’t think it should fall on the athlete to ‘get over it’ if they want to compete in these events. I hope moving forward we see some progress in this regard.

She's got to answer "My opponent played very well today. It was a great match" 8 times and then the 7 digit check lands. I'm all for advancing mental health in any way that it can be done, but "I'm having a bad mental health day" can't be a get out of jail free card. 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It is difficult to explain.  My body and brain don't differentiate the negative "anxiety" and the positive "excited" responses.  So if you and I are planning to go to the all you can eat pizza buffet and try to clean them out, the normal response is: "this is going to be fun!" I get the same response from that as: "I almost got hit by that car!"   My guess is that she gets real amped up to play, and it doesn't necessarily feel good, but she also gets just as amped up to answer questions, and it is uncomfortable to a level where she CAN'T do it, not she doesn't want to.

There's a thousand interviews of her doing it previously. She obviously CAN do it. 

Just now, squire12 said:

if it wasn't his place then, why is it now?

People grow. Favre was in his early 20's when he came to GB and had close to zero life experiences to guide him at that point. There is a reason the POTUS is not a 20 something individual.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R T said:

People grow. Favre was in his early 20's when he came to GB and had close to zero life experiences to guide him at that point. There is a reason the POTUS is not a 20 something individual.  

if that is the growth that Favre has shown, that is a bit sad

Mark Murphy / SI -

"The situation we face with Aaron Rodgers has divided our fan base. The emails and letters that I've received reflect this fact. As I wrote here last month, we remain committed to resolving things with Aaron and want him to be our quarterback in 2021 and beyond. We are working to resolve the situation and realize that the less both sides say publicly, the better"

"It was a shame for Jordan that the pandemic impacted so much of his rookie year. Although it wasn't a completely wasted year, he had no in-person practices in the offseason program and no preseason game experience. Although it is hard to tell a lot in the offseason practices, both Matt LaFleur and offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett have said they like what they've seen from Jordan this offseason. Hackett said that the biggest difference this year is his confidence in the system, and that his decision-making, timing and accuracy have all improved. It's obviously helped him to get reps with the first-team offense this offseason. The preseason games this year will be crucial in his development"

Edited by Leader

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

so his stance changed because of his side of the equation changed?  deepening his hypocrisy it would seem

You're intentionally misunderstanding the answer at this point. A player doesn't have an obligation to speak up every time his teammate does something they disagree with. 

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

if that is the growth that Favre has shown, that is a bit sad

You asked a question and I answered it. Regardless of your personal bias against Favre, he is not completely off base here. Osaka didn't just become a tennis superstar in the last couple of weeks, she has been dealing with this setup of interviewing for a long time. She has decided now she is a big enough star to not have to do it. She has done it, she can do it, she just doesn't want to do it. Call it what it is. 

13 minutes ago, R T said:

You asked a question and I answered it. Regardless of your personal bias against Favre,

Nice inaccurate assumption 

13 minutes ago, R T said:

he is not completely off base here. Osaka didn't just become a tennis superstar in the last couple of weeks, she has been dealing with this setup of interviewing for a long time. She has decided now she is a big enough star to not have to do it. She has done it, she can do it, she just doesn't want to do it. Call it what it is. 

When have I said she did or didn't have the choice to decide if she wanted to speak to/with the media?