Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

23 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Brent wasn't talking that ish when Sterling Sharpe was doing it tho...

I definitely understand how we would all have a pavlovian response to ripping on Favre after he opens his mouth, but is he really wrong here?

Osaka is taking the same position that Rodgers has, "I don't like the contract I signed, consequently I am not going to live up to it."

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I definitely understand how we would all have a pavlovian response to ripping on Favre after he opens his mouth, but is he really wrong here?

Osaka is taking the same position that Rodgers has, "I don't like the contract I signed, consequently I am not going to live up to it."

Should she also have been allowed to withdraw from the French Open for mental health reasons?  Or is she not living up to her contract there too?  Should they fine her for doing so?  The media is a part of the machine and professional athletes understand this.  But the mental health of these athletes supersedes some inane post match presser.  

I'm sure Brad from Bleacher Report or whoever it was that asked Brent for his take on Osaka's experience with women's tennis and the media was anticipating some real insight lol.  And again... Brent didn't say **** when Sharpe refused to talk to the media.  So if ever it were applicable for him to talk about athletes refusing to do so, it was then.  

8 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Should she also have been allowed to withdraw from the French Open for mental health reasons?  Or is she not living up to her contract there too?  Should they fine her for doing so?  The media is a part of the machine and professional athletes understand this.  But the mental health of these athletes supersedes some inane post match presser.  

I'm sure Brad from Bleacher Report or whoever it was that asked Brent for his take on Osaka's experience with women's tennis and the media was anticipating some real insight lol.  And again... Brent didn't say **** when Sharpe refused to talk to the media.  So if ever it were applicable for him to talk about athletes refusing to do so, it was then.  

Osaka can do whatever the hell she wants. It's a free country. If she's happier and healthier not doing any media appearances, that's fine. But it likely comes with the price tag of never playing in another Major. She's going to need to figure something out if she's going to continue in her chosen career path. 

As far as Brett not saying anything when Sharpe was refusing to talk to the media, that was what? 25 years ago? The world and the media have changed so drastically since then, it's a moot comparison. Plus, he was Sharpe's teammate, it's not a teammate's job to put a guy on blast for that.  

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Osaka can do whatever the hell she wants. It's a free country. If she's happier and healthier not doing any media appearances, that's fine. But it likely comes with the price tag of never playing in another Major. She's going to need to figure something out if she's going to continue in her chosen career path. 

As far as Brett not saying anything when Sharpe was refusing to talk to the media, that was what? 25 years ago? The world and the media have changed so drastically since then, it's a moot comparison. Plus, he was Sharpe's teammate, it's not a teammate's job to put a guy on blast for that.  

Have the contract obligations related to speaking with /to the media changed over those 25 years?

Quite the hypocrisy to have different standards of honoring a contract for different people.   If you believe in the principle, don't half *** it.

Just now, squire12 said:

Have the contract obligations related to speaking with /to the media changed over those 25 years?

Quite the hypocrisy to have different standards of honoring a contract for different people.   If you believe in the principle, don't half *** it.

I would have to check the timelines, but I believe the contractual obligations HAVE changed in the last 25 years. If you read the article, Favre talks about how the first time he got frustrated and don't speak to the media, it wasn't even a codified rule, and only after he skipped did the team/league make the press conferences mandatory on paper rather than as an unwritten rule.

As far as ragging on teammate's for contract situations and minor misconduct infractions, that has never been the standard for professional athlete's. Ever. That's a ridiculous standard. 

It can both be true that Osaka signed a contract to have media appearances and that there is room to grow in regards to media obligations and mental health. I don’t think it should fall on the athlete to ‘get over it’ if they want to compete in these events. I hope moving forward we see some progress in this regard.

• Like 1

I personally find this "new" mental health aspect of any athlete quite fascinating.  What has changed over the years?  Winning or losing any type of event whether as a team or individual makes one stronger and is a learning experience.  One can't win every event they play in and losing is just as much as an experience as winning.  If a person can't handle losing an event mentally maybe it's time for a occupation change where it doesn't affect them where they can't even discuss it.  Amazing how the winning and losing in life is now being looked at. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

I personally find this "new" mental health aspect of any athlete quite fascinating.  What has changed over the years?  Winning or losing any type of event whether as a team or individual makes one stronger and is a learning experience.  One can't win every event they play in and losing is just as much as an experience as winning.  If a person can't handle losing an event mentally maybe it's time for a occupation change where it doesn't affect them where they can't even discuss it.  Amazing how the winning and losing in life is now being looked at. 

Who are you seeing not being able to handle losing?

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

I understand what you’re saying I think, but the one thing I’ll add is that our understanding of mental health and the willingness of people to talk about it is what’s changing over the years. Especially with athletes, where I think there has been definitely more of a stigma or a need to be “mentally tough” in a classical sense. I think what you’re saying is true: athletes DO have to be more mentally tough, but it is the awareness of the issue that is changing, not necessarily the issue itself.

As for Osaka, I do think to a certain extent that a contract is a contract, but now I think that in the future these contracts should be able to be negotiated a little more. Maybe they already are, but I don’t know that. I think if an athlete wants to limit their media time, they should be able to negotiate that. The tournament can decide whether the publicity of having that athlete there or not because they didn’t want to allow them to give up an interview is worth it to them. I don’t think it should be a one size fits all thing. 

39 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

The lady tennis player Osaka in question.  Is there something I'm missing on her withdrawl for mental health reasons?

In hopes that this is a genuine misunderstanding, here is her own statement:

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I would have to check the timelines, but I believe the contractual obligations HAVE changed in the last 25 years. If you read the article, Favre talks about how the first time he got frustrated and don't speak to the media, it wasn't even a codified rule, and only after he skipped did the team/league make the press conferences mandatory on paper rather than as an unwritten rule.

Not sure on the obligations for media availability over the Favre era to now.

As far as ragging on teammate's for contract situations and minor misconduct infractions, that has never been the standard for professional athlete's. Ever. That's a ridiculous standard. 

It's not about a players contract.  But the obligation of the player to speak to the media.  You either have that standard for all athletes or not.  

Not to be a jerk but...  [comment redacted] I will share my mental health takes at a different time.  It is something that I have struggled with for most of my life.

If it is part of your contract, you should negotiate that part of the contract.  As for Favre not calling out Sterling Sharpe, at that point, Brett Favre wasn't BRETT FAVRE, he was just the young enigma QB.  Recall when Mike McKenzie was holding out.  Favre said something to the tune of:  When you sign a contract, you set the market.  There will be guys that sign for more money, after you sign, that you know you are better than but you signed you deal already.  I think 3 time MVP Brett Favre absolutely would have called out Sterling Sharpe for not talking to the media.  But at that time he didn't really have the clout to do so.

Edited by ThatJerkDave

14 minutes ago, deathstar said:

In hopes that this is a genuine misunderstanding, here is her own statement:

This is the first time that I saw her statement.  It seems pretty rational.  Probably much ado about nothing, tbh.  Let her interview after she cools down a bit.  

The missing link for me.......with specific focus on Osaka (not Favre) - couldn't care less about his thoughts.

Has anybody fully explained how these press conferences have a bearing on depression?

Cant say I take in a whole bunch of tennis player pressers......but what I remember seeing wasnt some rough and tumble assault on the player. Perhaps they've changed?

As for the "social anxiety" side of things - I find it hard to connect the dots on the pressers exacerbating social anxiety issues - when her career depends solely on her performing - alone - in pressure situations - front of thousands of people.

In short form......I'm not getting the issue.

Short form #2 - I think the players should talk to the media - unless - some concrete cause & effect can be discerned between doing so and that person's mental health.

"I'd rather not cause it bums me out" doesnt work for me.