Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Heard a couple of things that are somewhat interesting......

Green Bay has the least amount of cap (at this point) of any NFL team.....
Green Bay's 33M over next years cap already.
AR has the highest cap hit of any player.

Guess this is why Russ Ball gets paid the big bucks. He can untie this knot without putting the team into cap hell.

It’s going to be tough. That bill eventually comes due, so I’m guessing we’ll be cutting a few guys next year. I’m talking about other less educated fans when I say this, but you see a lot of folks on social media being simultaneously upset that GB doesn’t sign more free agents and also being upset at our cap situation right now. It’s hilarious. Those 4 FA signings from a couple years ago all worked out to varying degrees. If PSmith was the worst one, that’s pretty damn good. But now that’s why we’re in the situation we’re in. Well, that plus Rodgers and a few of our homegrown “free agents” 

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

Heard a couple of things that are somewhat interesting......

Green Bay has the least amount of cap (at this point) of any NFL team.....
Green Bay's 33M over next years cap already.
AR has the highest cap hit of any player.

Guess this is why Russ Ball gets paid the big bucks. He can untie this knot without putting the team into cap hell.

We are in cap hell. There's a reason why we restructured Dean ****in' Lowry's contract.

43 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

We are in cap hell. There's a reason why we restructured Dean ****in' Lowry's contract.

I'm surprised next years cap isnt already projected to be higher than it is. The NFL should just say **** it and allow full stadium. Let the unvaccinated come - spend their money for a good cause while weeding themselves out of the gene pool - while the vaccinated get the machine running again and the cap can return to its "normal" increasing arc and teams can get some cap relief.

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm surprised next years cap isnt already projected to be higher than it is. The NFL should just say **** it and allow full stadium. Let the unvaccinated come - spend their money for a good cause while weeding themselves out of the gene pool - while the vaccinated get the machine running again and the cap can return to its "normal" increasing arc and teams can get some cap relief.

30 of the 32 teams have already announced they would be at full capacity for the 2021 season. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

They've already decided on a 208M cap ceiling for 2022. Cap will be like 300M in 6-7 years though.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:
Does performance count if they weren’t drafted in the first round?

Assuming 12 plays, it'll be an interesting season for Tonyan. Is he a one-hit wonder or a legit TE for years to come? Either way I expect him to be wearing another uniform in 2022, but hopefully we net a good comp pick for him. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Assuming 12 plays, it'll be an interesting season for Tonyan. Is he a one-hit wonder or a legit TE for years to come? Either way I expect him to be wearing another uniform in 2022, but hopefully we net a good comp pick for him. 

If he tore it up in 2021, regardless of the QB. It would be pretty disappointing to see a good TE walk considering the resources GB has put towards that position in the draft and FA and not solved it.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, vegas492 said:

Two things there...

#1, Let's ink a long term deal with Tonyan NOW based on that comment!  :)

#2, If AR comes back, get Tonyan off of your fantasy team, he ain't sniffing half the passes he did last year.

Oh, if you have Tonyan, trade him right now. His metrics as far as catch rate and td % were OFF THE CHARTS last year; in any sane year, he'd have been like a 40-500-6 guy. And don't get me wrong, I love him, and I'm sure he will be even better this year, but still that translates to lower catch/td #s. He's one of those "better at real football than fantasy" players. 

15 hours ago, packfanfb said:

If he turns in an awesome season you tag the guy and try to get something worked out.

Peter Bukowski -   We talk a lot about fixing the CB position opposite Jaire Alexander for the #Packers, but in 2019, GB was 9th in passing DVOA with Kevin King getting plenty of reps.

The big reason they fell to 15th in 2020 was the pass rush. Went from 9th in Pass Rush Win Rate to 20th.

59 minutes ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski -   We talk a lot about fixing the CB position opposite Jaire Alexander for the #Packers, but in 2019, GB was 9th in passing DVOA with Kevin King getting plenty of reps.

The big reason they fell to 15th in 2020 was the pass rush. Went from 9th in Pass Rush Win Rate to 20th.

The only variable Bukowski is missing here is that King also played better in 2019. So it's a mixture of both. Of course, a better pass rush win rate is going to help your CBs, across the board. It also would have helped if King was healthy and played the way he did in 2019. 

It's of course Packer luck that our defense was better in key areas in 2019 when our offense was new and not as efficient and then the next year, when our offense explodes, our defense regresses...

• Like 1