Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I do think there are some strong arguments for NOT paying Adams huge money to stay here. 

I think MLF's offense is less dependent on having an elite WR than McCarthy's was. I think there are 2 reasons for this. One is that MLF relies more on his TE's. The other is that MLF does much more scheming to get guys open.

The Packers offense has not really suffered the last 2 years when Adams is out. Last year Rodgers threw for over 600 yards and 7 TD's in the 2 games Adams missed. When Adams is out, Rodgers has to spread the ball around more and other guys step up. Big time. Packers are 6-0 the last 2 years when Adams is out.

It's going to cost a lot of money to keep guys like Jaire, Jenkins and Amos here the next couple of years. I think those kind of guys are harder to replace than a wide receiver. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ryan Wood -   Packers QB Aaron Rodgers says Randall Cobb has been staying with him since arriving in Green Bay as he searches for a new home: "We've had a good time catching up on life the last week or so."

e07d2fddbe148fcf2f2d1915bc80e3ab.jpg

If I could PS I'd put their faces on this picture because this is how I imagined then living together

• Like 5

Paul Bretl -   Rodgers mentions that the defense is playing “more free” in various spots in the new Joe Barry defense.

• Ross Uglem -    This is promising. Ultimately Mike Pettine’s defense looked too much like Dom Capers’ defense with a few minor tweaks. Believe Rodgers also said it was “unlike any defense he’s practiced against.”

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

I found it somewhat interesting we brought in TE Daniel Crawford to cover for the sidelined Deguara and Dafney.

Last year we claimed John Lovett off waivers after he was cut from the Chiefs. He failed to make the final 53 but stuck around the PS but it didn't take long for him to be promoted to the 53 thanks to Deguara's injury. He ended up playing 8 games playing both FB and ST before he too got knocked out for the season. He suffered his ACL injury in the middle of Nov and was released after the season. It will have been almost 9 months since the injury. It was his injury which gave Dafney the chance to shine.

Well....Lovett is currently a FA and I thought by now it would be a good opportunity to pick him up again but I guess he isn't all the way back from his injury quite yet.

Daniel Crawford is someone the Packers have definitely scouted. A Packers scout was there at his pro day:

Looking at his numbers he is nowhere near athletically to Deguara, Dafney and Lovett. He has good receiving chops but did not see any blocking in his lone highlight video. Right now I think it's very safe to say he's just a camp body.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -   Rodgers mentions that the defense is playing “more free” in various spots in the new Joe Barry defense.

• Ross Uglem -    This is promising. Ultimately Mike Pettine’s defense looked too much like Dom Capers’ defense with a few minor tweaks. Believe Rodgers also said it was “unlike any defense he’s practiced against.”

Barry paying all our players to say nice stuff about him in the media

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I found it somewhat interesting we brought in TE Daniel Crawford to cover for the sidelined Deguara and Dafney.

Last year we claimed John Lovett off waivers after he was cut from the Chiefs. He failed to make the final 53 but stuck around the PS but it didn't take long for him to be promoted to the 53 thanks to Deguara's injury. He ended up playing 8 games playing both FB and ST before he too got knocked out for the season. He suffered his ACL injury in the middle of Nov and was released after the season. It will have been almost 9 months since the injury. It was his injury which gave Dafney the chance to shine.

Well....Lovett is currently a FA and I thought by now it would be a good opportunity to pick him up again but I guess he isn't all the way back from his injury quite yet.

Daniel Crawford is someone the Packers have definitely scouted. A Packers scout was there at his pro day:

Looking at his numbers he is nowhere near athletically to Deguara, Dafney and Lovett. He has good receiving chops but did not see any blocking in his lone highlight video. Right now I think it's very safe to say he's just a camp body.

I wouldn't like bringing John back if he gets healthy, I would Lovett. He was one of my player crushes that I had for no real logical reason.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:12 PM, Arthur Penske said:

How does Elgton compare to Lang/Sitton?

Armchair evaluation?  Jenkins was much more polished coming out that either Sitton or Lang.  Jenkins is the better athlete.  Sitton and Lang have "nasty" over him and maybe more power to go along with a better anchor.  Jenkins has the better technical game.  Also...Sitton especially knew how to hold really, really well.  He was sneaky, in a good way!

12 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Nice

If Bak is on the same time schedule (I have no idea one way or the other) that would put him back by October 1st. That would mean he'd only miss the first three games in theory. One could surmise he'd need a few weeks to get into football shape after that. 

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -     Packers 2022 Salary Cap:

Assume: Max cap $208.2M ($25.7M increase)
$0 Rollover
No Free Agents

Cap Trending:
Current: $50.5M over
By Training Camp: $57.7M over
By Start of Season: $67.9M over

Need to clear $53M before start of 2022 - trades cannot occur until after.
Again - this includes no free agents:
No Adams, MVS, Lazard, Tonyan, King, Sullivan, etc.
Any free agents (UFAs, RFAs, ERFAs, SFAs) will further add to cap deficit
The team cannot get savings from trading Aaron Rodgers until AFTER they need to be under the 2022 salary cap.