Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I get what you are saying.  For me, all he has to do is catch more third downs, if that TD ratio is going to go down.

I think he's gonna be gone next year and I'm not sure I see his replacement on the roster.

10 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Has anyone heard anything about Ramsey's injury?  If he out for awhile, who steps up or do you look outside for a vet on a one year deal?   Trent Murphy and Everson Griffen are still available?

I posted MLF comments in the TC thread.
Basically, its a left ankle injury and he's gonna be out for a good while.

33 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think he's gonna be gone next year and I'm not sure I see his replacement on the roster.

Deguara is going to open some eyes.

And I agree with you.  Not sure how you afford Tonyan, even on a Logan Thomas kind of deal.  I'll miss Bobby.  Always rooted for him.  It really is a shame when you draft so well that you run out of cap space.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Deguara is going to open some eyes.

And I agree with you.  Not sure how you afford Tonyan, even on a Logan Thomas kind of deal.  I'll miss Bobby.  Always rooted for him.  It really is a shame when you draft so well that you run out of cap space.

I feel like Tonyan is going to stay here.

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -   An under the radar change with Aaron Rodgers’ new contract is they agreed to tie his previous $1M of incentives to the team increasing the number of touchdowns on returns & recoveries in 2021 (2 in 2020) As such these incentives are now NLTBE and frees up $850K of 2021 cap space

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

How does Elgton compare to Lang/Sitton?

IMO just a better player but it's about longevity and consistency at this point.  Especially in pass pro.  Lang was the better run blocker of the lang/sitton combo for sure; not sure if Jenkins is at that level yet but he's already more reliable vs more types of rushers than Lang.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

IMO just a better player but it's about longevity and consistency at this point.  Especially in pass pro.  Lang was the better run blocker of the lang/sitton combo for sure; not sure if Jenkins is at that level yet but he's already more reliable vs more types of rushers than Lang.

agreed and the positional versatility to play all 5 spots quite well

• Like 1

AcmePacking -  Davante Adams’ next contract and the cost of doing business.

Understanding the NFL salary cap is somewhat like understanding America’s tax code. People understand it’s important, but at the end of the day, most people value what they’re getting in return more so than understanding the ins and outs of what matters or why it matters. That’s perfectly understandable, but the nuances in the NFL’s cap system, especially with a deal like Hopkins’ now on the books as a point of reference, is why both Gutekunst and Adams have understandable perspectives as to what “highest-paid” means for the receiver position.

Last September, fresh off of being traded from the Houston Texans, Hopkins signed a two-year, $54.5 million contract extension with the Cardinals, despite already having three years left on his deal. Functionally, this added years to his contract, but was not a new contract on its own, in that it wouldn’t have been structured the way it was without those existing three years.

While Hopkins’ contract extension could be reported as a $27.5 million per year deal, that doesn’t change the fact that Hopkins is functionally playing on a deal that will pay him out an average of $18.8 million per year over the course of five years. This is where Gutekunst’s “it’s how you interpret what the highest wide receiver in the National Football League is getting paid” comment gains some traction.

If Adams were looking to tack on two years to the end of a three-year deal, using Hopkins’ $27.5 million per year extension would have more legs, but looking at what Hopkins is going to make over his five-year agreement with the Cardinals drops his per year number significantly below $25 million, which Adams has conveniently ignored when talking about Hopkins as a market-setter.

Again, more important than average dollars per year is how a contract is functionally guaranteed.

The cost of doing business, if you want to sign a high-tier NFL receiver, is clear: About $60 million over the first three years of a contract. After that, it’s all funny money that will lead to an extension, restructure, trade, or release in Year 4, the nearly-negotiated window for a player’s agent and a team to come back to the table.

If Adams is able to net $75 million over the first three years of his next contract ($25 million per year), he will be the true market-setter at the position, not Hopkins, who functionally is playing on a similar deal ($60.1 million over three years) to Cooper ($60 million over three years.) If the Packers somehow sign Adams to a deal that will pay him $25 million per year, at least in the headlines written and tweets sent the day Adams signs, but in a way that allows them to pay Adams less than $60 million over the course over the first three years of his new deal, then the front office will come away very, very happy, no matter the sticker price.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 2

Pack signs a D-Lineman, just not the vet FA I was hoping for.  That yet to come.

Josh Avery an unknown to at least me, but a big body and very athletic according to workouts and his RAS.  The tool box is there, can he put the rest together and that starts with work load...

31 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the Packers will sign him.  He's simply too talented to let walk after this season.  As mentioned above .. a deal that in essence is a three year deal would be perfect.

Cant say what's gonna happen, but that article put things into a better perspective for me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Pack signs a D-Lineman, just not the vet FA I was hoping for.  That yet to come.

Josh Avery an unknown to at least me, but a big body and very athletic according to workouts and his RAS.  The tool box is there, can he put the rest together and that starts with work load...

Definitely strong and seems like he can move for his size. Was with SEA as an undrafted last year but missed the final cut with a NFI. I hope he takes his chance and runs with it. We might go light on DL numbers with the type of system we run but we need at least some insurance on the PS. Let’s see what he can bring to the party.