Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

On 6/15/2020 at 4:26 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I just lifted weights for the first time in roughly 5 months. I lost 20+ lbs on each lift and pulled a hammy. Good times.

Went back for the first time in like 3-4 months and I feel like I’ve lost a lot more than that. Never pushed for maxes or anything, but could just feel it wasn’t there. 

did some bw dips yesterday. Did like three sets of 15 and last set was a struggle. Prior to gym shutting down I could bang out 3 sets of 10 weighted with half my body weight added and then Finish with another set of 20 Just bw before triceps really started to tire. 

also May not walk tomorrow after today’s leg day. Haha

3 minutes ago, project T.O said:

Went back for the first time in like 3-4 months and I feel like I’ve lost a lot more than that. Never pushed for maxes or anything, but could just feel it wasn’t there. 

did some bw dips yesterday. Did like three sets of 15 and last set was a struggle. Prior to gym shutting down I could bang out 3 sets of 10 weighted with half my body weight added and then Finish with another set of 20 Just bw before triceps really started to tire. 

also May not walk tomorrow after today’s leg day. Haha

Time off is no joke. After that day one failure I decided to spend the rest of the summer/early fall cutting. I haven't done a real cut in years so hopefully I can shed some body fat % and get a little leaner. Plus I think it'll help me ease into lifting better so I can pick back up with gaining later in the year. I just hope gyms don't have to close down again.

On 5/25/2020 at 11:25 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

I need some help with where to go now that I am losing some weight.......some exercise tips from home, things I can do there or around the community.  Just to kind of help the weight loss I am getting from watching what I am eating now.  

Some background- I was always big for my age and hated running.  The emphasis put on running and conditioning in my early teens in park/rec baseball ended my desire to pursue it further, and I quickly learned that, despite my family's love of football, it wasn't going to be for me after going through a summer workout camp.  I ended up on the golf team and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Despite not liking the football summer camp, I did go to the gym intermittently during my teens.  My dad had me going with him when I was 11-13, I went back my senior year of high school and did well and then fell off that track.  I was still overweight but working on my feet in the restaurant.  Problems started when I turned 21 and started going out drinking- lots of calories from the alcohol, terrible diet with food (sometimes adding a fourth meal with being out so late) and my job started to become more sedentary, especially when I was 25 and moved to a new position in charge of one of our stores and I was in a lot more meetings and development settings and added more administrative work. 

Things hit a fever pitch when I got my own house and started eating a lot of junk food and sleep apnea hit which was my breaking point.  The machine doesn't work for me because of the full face mask and being a mouth breather.  I'm going to be the best man in my best friend's wedding this fall (might be later now) and everything about my eating habits was terrible (side effect of working in the restaurant industry and traveling around a lot for church meetings.). So with the pandemic, I decided it would be a good time to start dropping weight.  

With having most of my meals at home, I am closing in on dropping 50 pounds the past two months.  I have done a few projects around the house for myself and my grandmother during this time, but nothing too strenuous.  I've gotten myself onto a consistent eating schedule (for me) and am cooking and preparing just about everything at home.  I've cut out all soda and other beverages from my diet almost completely (I'll give myself a soda and some tea on Sundays) and just drink a glass of juice in the morning and water the rest of the day.  I've cut out the bad snacks and just have peanuts, fruits or veggies if I get hungry during the day.  I'm not doing any crazy diet or anything, just watching my caloric intake and trying not to consume anything "empty."  I've also returned to work part time, and have been able to manage there accordingly, which I am super happy about.  

My start weight during all of this was 385.  I am now down to 339.  I'm not looking to make this a quick thing, just continue this trend downward and I know I eventually need to add some form of exercise to this.  Maybe not the gym just yet, but what are some things you could recommend around the house to continue to help me drop calories?   I am absolutely ready to consider the gym once this pandemic passes, and I continue to get my energy back- I am sleeping much better, but I'm still not out of the apnea woods yet which would give me my final boost to get to the gym again I think.  

I hit a plateau since I posted the quoted text, but I am down six pounds over the past 10 days.  I also had a really bad week with eating, which reinforced the need to continue to stay disciplined  I've been walking almost 2 miles a day, and gradually able to pick up the pace.  This past week, I started leg and some core exercises at home every other day.  I wanted to do something else on those off days that I can do from home.  Any suggestions? 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I hit a plateau since I posted the quoted text, but I am down six pounds over the past 10 days.  I also had a really bad week with eating, which reinforced the need to continue to stay disciplined  I've been walking almost 2 miles a day, and gradually able to pick up the pace.  This past week, I started leg and some core exercises at home every other day.  I wanted to do something else on those off days that I can do from home.  Any suggestions? 

I highly recommend yoga and stretching in general. It’ll be hard but get easier the more you do it.

Also, don’t worry if you have a bad meal or day. Just make sure the next one isn’t and take it one meal or day at a time. 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2020 at 4:39 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I highly recommend yoga and stretching in general. It’ll be hard but get easier the more you do it.

Also, don’t worry if you have a bad meal or day. Just make sure the next one isn’t and take it one meal or day at a time. 

Oh man, this was a horrible day.  I had three meals, including eating a giant burger and fries for lunch, then some friends came from out of state and I had half a frozen pizza, a ton of onion rings and potstickers.  I felt horrible the next day, so that won't be happening again.  I don't stress over it right now, there's a difference between a cheat meal versus bombing the day.  The important thing for me are making the lifestyle changes.  I don't mind not having the horrible snacks and getting to eat again on a schedule, nor do I mind making the time for exercising any more.  

I will look into stretching.  Two weeks ago, I started core and leg exercises and I started doing some high interval cardio along with some springs this week as well, alternating days, to go with my walking.  

6 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

@naptownskinsfan being active is great and anything will help, but don't look at exercise as a way to burn calories.  The really important thing is to nail nutrition, especially during a pandemic.  You'll never be able to out run/walk/stretch/BW workout your diet.

What caused the giant burger and fries and half a pizza?

The burger is a bit of a misnomer because I knew we would be eating out, so I didn't have my normal breakfast to make up for it.  Like I said, I had friends come up that evening which prompted the pizza and other stuff.  I figured that I had done so well to this point, I could do one day cheating.  Like I said, that went beyond a cheat day, to the point where I felt terrible the next day, so that won't be happening again.  

I started the 16 hour fasting a few weeks ago and have been loving it. I always thought that I would have a problem skipping breakfast, but I'm at the point where I normally don't eat anything until lunch. If I'm really struggling, I have a protein bar at around 14 hours. Benefit it that I don't really feel that bad when I do cheat. I generally stick to a pretty healthy schedule anyway, but I feel a lot better and energized regardless. 

I thought about pushing it for longer, but I usually get pretty hungry around the 16-17th hour mark. I bumped my workouts up to 6 days/week, so I think my body needs that fuel around that point. 

18 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The burger is a bit of a misnomer because I knew we would be eating out, so I didn't have my normal breakfast to make up for it.  Like I said, I had friends come up that evening which prompted the pizza and other stuff.  I figured that I had done so well to this point, I could do one day cheating.  Like I said, that went beyond a cheat day, to the point where I felt terrible the next day, so that won't be happening again.  

That's good it's a learning experience...but I would never advocate someone who has serious weight loss goals to have a cheat DAY.  It needs to stick to cheat meal.

• Like 1

Lost 20 pounds during lock down. It feels great. Teaching and coaching really got in the way of my weight lifting and health. A lot of bad meals and skipped workouts killed my physique. This actually really helped me get back on track, cooking all my own meals and having way more time to lift. I was a pretty ripped 210 in college, ballooned up to almost 270 in 5 years. Back down to 249, hoping to get back to 220 by September/October.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Lost 20 pounds during lock down. It feels great. Teaching and coaching really got in the way of my weight lifting and health. A lot of bad meals and skipped workouts killed my physique. This actually really helped me get back on track, cooking all my own meals and having way more time to lift. I was a pretty ripped 210 in college, ballooned up to almost 270 in 5 years. Back down to 249, hoping to get back to 220 by September/October.

Hell yeah man- keep riding that momentum train. So many people probably trended the other way during this, so you should be proud.

• Like 1

Gaining weight has ALWAYS been harder for me than losing weight.  Swear I could lose 20 pounds faster than I could gain 10.

Probably mostly because I try to eat healthy, but also because I just don’t like eating.

Added a protein shake to my diet so I can slam that down.  I have one post-workout and then another one about 6 hours later after my first meal. 

Doing low carb, too.

Breakfast - Breakfast bar plus 2 cups of milk.
Post-workout around noon.
Lunch at 4.
Protein shake at 6.
Second lunch at 8.
Dinner at 11.
High protein snacks until I go to sleep at around 1. 

Workouts have definitely gotten better since I focused on getting more than enough protein I need. 

I've been doing this for about 4 weeks now since I noticed I had a bit more fat than I'd like and a bit less muscle. 

Just hitting weights harder, increasing them more and I switched back to a split rather than full body workouts. 

I know a lot of people are gonna question my split, but it works for me:

Monday - Chest/Shoulders
Tuesday - Biceps/Triceps/Forearms
Wednesday - Traps/Lats/Back
Thursday - Chest/Shoulders
Friday - Biceps/Triceps/Forearms
Saturday - Legs/Back
Sunday - Rest

Edited by Outpost31

On 7/1/2020 at 12:49 PM, MookieMonstah said:

My dad went through the same thing as both a teacher and football coach.  Glad you were able to make the change.  Even during coaching season when he got back into shape and weight under control, there were still some bad meals but the mindset change will help keep you on track the rest of the year.