The Apple Thread 

17 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I think it needs to go away regardless. I like the concept but as someone who's relatively OCD, it's very annoying. Even Essential's is annoying and there's barely anything there. Make it clean or don't make it at all lol. 

I'm still on my 6S and my MB Pro Mid-2012.  Haven't seen a need to move off of either of those yet.xD

Paying up for a 16GB, 500GB SSD MacBook Pro w/ Retina back in 2012 was honestly the best purchase I have ever made...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'm still on my 6S and my MB Pro Mid-2012.  Haven't seen a need to move off of either of those yet

I just upgraded from an iPhone 6 (to a V20) about 3 months ago and still use my Mid-2010 MBP daily, without any issues, and it has no signs of slowing down yet. Truly amazing the longevity you can get out of these machines. 

I actually really like Mac computers, but I have really fallen out of favor with the iPhone.  It's just so behind in so many ways that I just don't enjoy using it anymore.  With that said, the iPhone is still a quality product that receives long lasting support.

23 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'm still on my 6S and my MB Pro Mid-2012.  Haven't seen a need to move off of either of those yet.xD

Paying up for a 16GB, 500GB SSD MacBook Pro w/ Retina back in 2012 was honestly the best purchase I have ever made...

I still have the exact same thing you have except 256 GB SSD.

I keep wanting to get the shiny new stuff, but I can't justify spending the money just because I want them.

I probably will get the iPhone Xs (or whatever it's going to be called) though

• Like 1

So Apple will make the battery slowdown thing an option in the coming iOS update. Should have been this way from the beginning, pretty unacceptable and they deserve all the heat they got. Props to the smart people who figured this out and forced the change.

41 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

So Apple will make the battery slowdown thing an option in the coming iOS update. Should have been this way from the beginning, pretty unacceptable and they deserve all the heat they got. Props to the smart people who figured this out and forced the change.

Hopefully this forces them to come up with features worth upgrading for.  I'm not dropping $1,000 for facial recognition, animojis, and pretty much the same battery life as I have now... 

Also from a repairability standpoint, iPhones are definitely the best and easiest to work on.  I do this for a living, and while I enjoy the challenge of a Samsung or Motorola phone, iPhone's are a snooze and I can get most repairs done in under 30 minutes.

I wish their newer macbook pros were repairable and you were able to add and change components like you could in the older versions.  In my mid 2010 macbook i took out the disc drive, moved my old hard drive to that spot with a caddy, and then put in an ssd to boot off of.  It was great and it booted up in about 10 seconds.  

12 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Just realized my contacts list is filled with hundreds of contacts that I didn't put there. Anyone know how that happened and how i can get rid of it?

I've seen contacts get sync'd from facebook and emails automatically.  Haven't looked up how to stop it, I like having the additional contacts...

On 1/17/2018 at 6:47 AM, JTagg7754 said:

I think it needs to go away regardless. I like the concept but as someone who's relatively OCD, it's very annoying. Even Essential's is annoying and there's barely anything there. Make it clean or don't make it at all lol. 

I've had my iPhone X about a month.  As a former Android guy and recent iPhone guy, here are my thoughts:

I think they could have done with a small visor/forehead.  Possibly could be a bit slimmer than the notch with sensor placement depending on the architecture under the hood.  The notch honestly doesn't bother me in everyday use.  Going with something like that as sort of an inverse of the Xioami Mi Mix phones ( they're the phone equivalent to Dell XPS Laptops -- no  bezel on top but small chin on the bottom to house the front camera) would have been better functionally and aesthetically for me.

What's more annoying to me is how they designed the gestures around it.  The swipe up from bottom isn't that bad, but I still try to swipe up sometimes to disable wifi/go into do not disturb /do Control Center stuff.  Its a minor annoyance.  And as a right hander, the reach to the top left just for notifications gets bothersome now and then.  The biggest thing that's uncomfortable to me is how they implemented their app switcher interface.  Its a pain every time to either swipe exactly correctly or pause as needed.

If it were up to me, I would have gone similar to the Samsung route: add another button.  Where? On top.  Like old iOS devices. Left side though.  Volume buttons stay the same.  Top left button is now power button and double tap for Siri (again similar to Bixby button).  Basically has the functionality of the current home button on the right.  You rarely turn off your phone to begin with. Resetting would be done by holding the top and right buttons.  If you want to activate Siri, chances are you're already in a scenario when you can talk to your phone anyways.  So you could use your voice instead of the double tap. Both use cases are minimal for iOS users.  Or me at least.  So what comes of the right button then?  Home.  Double tap for app switcher. Triple tap would be left as is: actually customizable to an extent in current iOS (believe it or not). Hold for Apple Pay. Volume up and right buttons for screen cap still.  They could also embed a finger print sensor for Touch ID on the right side home button like Sony or Razer and still encourage Face ID.  This, to me, would be a zero compromise phone for today's technology.

Maybe they do embed that Synaptics finger print sensor in the screen eventually as Vivo has done at CES, but I'm keeping the timeline they had.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:27 AM, Mossburg said:

If they were smart, they would have simply announced the problem publicly to get ahead of the outcry.  And announce this option along side it. There's some element to taking it on the chin still.  But then they don't look dishonest.  Perhaps even shave the cost of the replacement to only $49 instead of $29 if they did it this way too.

I agree this is good heat for them -- and tech companies in general.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 9:17 AM, malak1 said:

I’ve never really been a watch person, but my wife recently bought me an Apple Watch 3. I must say, I’m not hating it. 

I've had a Pebble Steel for a couple years and was thinking of going to an Apple watch. Walked into Best Buy thinking I'd get a real good look at one, turns out they don't have them on display. Really boggled my mind that they wouldn't have them on display but have all the other smartwatches on display.