GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

I mean really, it was a combination of numerous things. I have no idea what defense the Saints were in but it essentially left Ken Crawley covering two WRs on the sideline, and only having one safety deep on that side.

It wasn't really a spectacular catch by Diggs, he went up with zero resistance and caught an easy catch and Williams completely and totally whiffed on the tackle because he was likely nervous to hit him early and also didn't want to tackle him out of bounds. Really, the missed tackle doesn't matter. The chances that Diggs can get out of bounds are pretty high and at that point it's a what? 35 yard FG for the win either?

Thats why I don't like teams playing an awful "defend the sideline" defense. Blitz 6, use that Vonn Bell blitz that I've never seen fail tbh, and make Keenum throw it quick. When you only rush 4 you let those long corner routes develop, and they usually have something open up.

11 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

I mean really, it was a combination of numerous things. I have no idea what defense the Saints were in but it essentially left Ken Crawley covering two WRs on the sideline, and only having one safety deep on that side.

Was a Cover 2. Crawley and Williams were on the left defending the sideline with Marcus over top. The Vikings ran a pretty routine flood. 

The Saints were in position to stop it. 

11 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Thats why I don't like teams playing an awful "defend the sideline" defense. Blitz 6, use that Vonn Bell blitz that I've never seen fail tbh, and make Keenum throw it quick. When you only rush 4 you let those long corner routes develop, and they usually have something open up.

Might be hindsight bias. If Williams gets there on time and jars the ball loose or gets there even earlier and is able to deflect the ball out of Diggs’ hands, I bet nobody would be questioning the defense they were in. 

It wasn’t really a bad defensive call or a particularly conservative one. Marcus Williams just didn’t make the play. 

It was pretty conservative. With Diggs high pointing the ball well and the way Williams had to come in, I don't see anyway he jars the ball out. Most likely he wraps up his legs and Diggs falls out of bounds. I know Williams should've made the tackle and its a much more likely win scenario, but really that was a poor defense to call. Crawley ends up covering two WRs and Williams is the only man deep on that side.

I think every team in that situation should bring out there best blitz package and force the QB to get rid of the ball quickly. A quick pass to the sideline likely only gets them 5-10 yards and leaves them with 6-7 seconds left, basically a hail mary attempt OR they get a pass to the middle of the field and the game clock runs out once the Saints can close for a tackle (or not lol)

10 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I wasn't online for the games yesterday, so I'm kind of curious whether the last play is being viewed more as a great play by Diggs, or a botched play by the Saints DB?  I'm really not trying to take anything away from Diggs, but it seems like the most significant part of what he did on the play was recognize the situation immediately, and not go out of bounds as I am sure he was 100% planning to do.  That immediate recognition is easier said than done in that situation.  But man... that Saints DB really f'd up.

Both.

Diggs would have caught it regardless and if he gets tackled we are still within field goal range and if we had made that we win the game. 

So I guess it was a great play made by Diggs in addition to a terrible one by the Saints, if that makes sense.

15 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Both.

Diggs would have caught it regardless and if he gets tackled we are still within field goal range and if we had made that we win the game. 

So I guess it was a great play made by Diggs in addition to a terrible one by the Saints, if that makes sense.

Diggs gets tackled in bounds, time would run out and Saints win.  Diggs would have had to get out of bounds if he didn't have a clear shot at the end zone.  Really, Saints make that routine tackle and it's game.  Good catch by Diggs, but Saints whiff on a routine tackle allowed the victory.  Had Diggs made him miss, or got out of bounds before the tackle, it would have been more incredible, but as it is, it's more a whiff than anything IMO.

Archived