GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Saints @ Vikings  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

I wasn't online for the games yesterday, so I'm kind of curious whether the last play is being viewed more as a great play by Diggs, or a botched play by the Saints DB?  I'm really not trying to take anything away from Diggs, but it seems like the most significant part of what he did on the play was recognize the situation immediately, and not go out of bounds as I am sure he was 100% planning to do.  That immediate recognition is easier said than done in that situation.  But man... that Saints DB really f'd up.

For me it's a both sort of play. Diggs did a great job high pointing a ball that wasn't thrown extremely well. Then it was a bad play by the Saints DB. Then it was a good play by Diggs to realize that there wasn't anyone in front of him or who could catch him and he went for the TD instead of stepping out for a 50-51 yard field goal attempt.

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I wasn't online for the games yesterday, so I'm kind of curious whether the last play is being viewed more as a great play by Diggs, or a botched play by the Saints DB?  I'm really not trying to take anything away from Diggs, but it seems like the most significant part of what he did on the play was recognize the situation immediately, and not go out of bounds as I am sure he was 100% planning to do.  That immediate recognition is easier said than done in that situation.  But man... that Saints DB really f'd up.

It was definitely a combination of both. Marcus Williams will take the blame and the focus for a horrible whiff. Although he is a 21 year old kid who had a very solid rookie season and made an INT in the third quarter to help get them back in the game. Coaches preached in the dbs ear holes not to interfere. Being a young player in that big moment he listened a bit too closely and didn't trust his instinct. Having scouted him extensively and watching plenty of him this year he hasn't done that when the ball is in the air. The coaches words and the pressure got to him and he choked. But it isn't all on him that team left other plays out on that field all game long. 

Diggs had the awareness to remain in bounds and go for the kill. As I was watching it I thought get out of bounds! But again the camera angle didn't show how wide open the field was after Marcus missed and took out Crawley who stood there looking shell shocked. 

31 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It was all to avoid DPI - which was unfortunate, because even if Williams just pushes him backwards and he goes out of bounds, it's likely called forward progress and the clock still runs...and it's game over.   He tackles him inbounds, it's over.  It wasn't like Diggs was right on the sideline, the chances that Diggs being so vulnerable in the air would have on his own gotten to the sidelines was incredibly small with any hit/wrap.  So it's a lot on Williams.   Diggs gets credit for not just blindly turning to the sidelines, and the catch, but the catch alone is still game over if Williams doesn't whiff completely but wraps up.

It's too bad, because Williams had a great rookie season, and if this doesn't crush him, he's a good player who can get better.  He's already pretty good (great for a rookie).   Hopefully this play doesn't define his career.

33 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

For me it's a both sort of play. Diggs did a great job high pointing a ball that wasn't thrown extremely well. Then it was a bad play by the Saints DB. Then it was a good play by Diggs to realize that there wasn't anyone in front of him or who could catch him and he went for the TD instead of stepping out for a 50-51 yard field goal attempt.

2pobcip.jpg

Vikings defense getting no respect from some - despite being the best in the NFL, I see. Sorry, kids, let's not forget Drew Brees is a future first ballot HOF'er. Was a matter of time before the Saints began moving the ball. 

Categorizing New Orleans' first three quarters on offense as "unlucky" is hilarious.

3 minutes ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

Vikings defense getting no respect from some - despite being the best in the NFL, I see. Sorry, kids, let's not forget Drew Brees is a future first ballot HOF'er. Was a matter of time before the Saints began moving the ball. 

Categorizing New Orleans' first three quarters on offense as "unlucky" is hilarious.

Vikings defense is great, but there were a few unlucky plays as well.  It happens in every game, but I give most of the credit that first half to Vikings defense.  Although Brees was in the zone in the second half, and not as accurate in the first.  His biggest mistake was the underthrow to Ted Ginn, that Sandejo made a great play on.  But a better throw and that could have been 7.  Saints also got a TD called back do to a dumb penalty by them.  And then the Willie Snead gadget play saw Kamara wide open and Snead missed the throw.  

But yes, Vikes defense deserves a ton of credit.  I don't think Foles and Bortles will move the ball like the Saints did.  Brady might, but they'll cross that bridge when they get to it.

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Vikings defense is great, but there were a few unlucky plays as well.  It happens in every game, but I give most of the credit that first half to Vikings defense.  Although Brees was in the zone in the second half, and not as accurate in the first.  His biggest mistake was the underthrow to Ted Ginn, that Sandejo made a great play on.  But a better throw and that could have been 7.  Saints also got a TD called back do to a dumb penalty by them.  And then the Willie Snead gadget play saw Kamara wide open and Snead missed the throw.  

But yes, Vikes defense deserves a ton of credit.  I don't think Foles and Bortles will move the ball like the Saints did.  Brady might, but they'll cross that bridge when they get to it.

It's a fair evaluation. Penalties certainly played a factor early on. The gadget with Willie Snead in particular was one of very few instances this season where I've seent he Vikings defense have its pants pulled down. Fortunate it didn't materialize.

Your final sentiment is my ultimate point. The Saints offense is lethal for innumerable reasons and to think the Vikings were going to pitch a shutout was nonsense. 

I think a majority of people are wrong on what it was because of.  In my opinion he caught the ball at the 30 something.  William's angle shows he was trying to preserve the sidelines and keep Diggs in bounds has nothing to do with pi. All to do with trying to keep diggs inbounds and he failed epically. They were afraid to let them attempt the fg.

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Yeah, but the playoffs are a whole new beast, as we saw.

On another note, I wanted the Vikings to go for 2 when the Saints left the field for the trolly lulz

Vikings ran up the score on Dallas a week before the last time they played the Saints.  If you believe history repeats itself, you should be thanking God the Vikings took a knee on that extra point. 

Archived