2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

Mike Hughes still on our board after this sexual assault stuff? 

Apparently he has told teams that he wouldn't be surprised if his accuser speaks publicly or files a civil lawsuit after he is drafted. 

This doesn't seem like something I would want to deal with as a 1st year GM...

We already knew there were character concerns I don't think this really changes much. I never liked him though.

2 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

Apparently he has told teams that he wouldn't be surprised if his accuser speaks publicly or files a civil lawsuit after he is drafted. 

I don’t want the attention but man that situation wreaks of blackmail and extortion.

2 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

He says he has saved text messages and a female witness to corroborate his story. No charges were ever filed because of this, so I doubt anything would become of a lawsuit. Don't think this changes anything if you liked Hughes.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He says he has saved text messages and a female witness to corroborate his story. No charges were ever filed because of this, so I doubt anything would become of a lawsuit. Don't think this changes anything if you liked Hughes.

Hope it causes him to fall to us at #45.  Derwin James in the first and Mike Hughes in the second?  Gute Wins!!!!!

1 hour ago, ArthurPensky said:

I don’t want the attention but man that situation wreaks of blackmail and extortion.

Exactly what I thought when I looked into it. He has texts and witnesses but if she is going to sue him it's still going to be news. I guess it is similar to Conley and he still got drafted in the 1st. I just wonder if Gute in his first year would take that chance. 

22 hours ago, Redt said:

I just don't see an elite edge in this draft at all, would I take Chubb if he fell to #14, in a heartbeat, I think he will be a really good player, but not elite edge. I think the Packer's identify a cb they like and quite frankly need who could still be there later in Rd. #1 and see if they can accrue more picks in Rd. 2 to QB hungry team.

So,

1. worst case scenario, they identify a corner (Hughes, Alexander) who they feel fit well into the system and will contribute immediately at #14

2.  They receive a trade back offer where they can still grab one of the two identified cb's and pick up an additional #2.

3. At #14 someone falls that is elite at there position and we jump on it, for me James, Smith, Edmunds, Ward, Nelson, not a Fitz fan, but if Gute and the DC think he's elite, who am I to say.

I had myself convinced #14 is a horrible spot this year, but I guess my cup is half full one week away

Let's look at this objectively, if there was an elite EDGE in this year's draft we wouldn't be even close to being in a position to draft them.  Since 2010, only one year has the top pass rusher not gone in the top 3 picks.  All the elite EDGE guys are long gone by the time the Packers pick, so even a Chubb free-fall seems a fantasy at best.

Now looking at your examples, the first one seems like a real possibility.  On average, the 1st CB goes off the board no later than the 8th pick, which means we're probably not going to be in a position to draft Denzel Ward.  Since 2010, the latest the first CB has gone off the board was 11th, when Marshon Lattimore was selected by the Saints in 2017 and the Vikings selected Trae Waynes in 2015.  On average, that 2nd CB goes off the board around the 15th pick, which is right in the range the Packers are picking.  It wouldn't surprise me if they ended up being the 2nd team to to take a CB.

As for your second scenario, barring a team making a trade-up for a QB I don't think the Packers are interested in moving back far enough they'd gain an additional 2nd.  If they're moving that far back, someone's blowing the TVC out of the water if they're moving back only a few slots.  The Packers probably don't really have any interest moving into that 20-24 range and likely drafting in a different tier of prospects.  I think it's far more likely the look to slide 2-3 spots back, and pick up an additional 3rd round pick than it is them moving back 8-12 spots for a 2nd round pick.

Archived