2018 Free Agency Discussion Thread

AnAngryAmerican

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

And Peko is only under contract another year. Lot of questions. It’s too bad because on paper, it’s the only position group left on the team with a legitimate combo of talent and depth. 

Really sad but very true.

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

There’s talk that Denver could go QB, I really don’t see it.  The Keenum signing is very reminiscent to the Plummer signing under Shanahan.  IMO, Denver spends the next 2 seasons trying to fortify the rest of the team with young talent, while in the process hitting on a QB in the mid rounds. Hell maybe Chad Kelly ends up being the guy, I don’t know.  But, I think that’s the current plan.

I think you're right.

7 hours ago, germ-x said:

I mean they signed 2 average (maybe below) players.  Is the team better, probably just because Keenum is a better QB, but the defense is worse than last year, the OL is unchanged, the WRs unchanged, TE unchanged.

There is the draft, but the only position improved from last year is QB.

We gotta let our young guys play otherwise how are they gonna get better?

7 hours ago, germ-x said:

There’s talk that Denver could go QB, I really don’t see it.  The Keenum signing is very reminiscent to the Plummer signing under Shanahan.  IMO, Denver spends the next 2 seasons trying to fortify the rest of the team with young talent, while in the process hitting on a QB in the mid rounds. Hell maybe Chad Kelly ends up being the guy, I don’t know.  But, I think that’s the current plan.

I cant buy this theory.  Mid round is a stretch but I think they are identifying their guy otherwise keenum gets longer than a 1 and a half year deal essentially. 

I personally don't think Elway knows what he's doing yet. You still have prodays, private workouts.  They want no stone unturned .

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I cant buy this theory.  Mid round is a stretch but I think they are identifying their guy otherwise keenum gets longer than a 1 and a half year deal essentially. 

I personally don't think Elway knows what he's doing yet. You still have prodays, private workouts.  They want no stone unturned .

Pro Days have all been completed. I think they've done most of their workouts as well. I agree, no stone unturned, but I think Elway is not inclined to trade picks to move up, so instead he's gathering data to see who will be around at 5 QB-wise and then compare that to some of the non-QB players. 

I don't think it's a stretch to say they'll look at taking, say, Rudolph or Jackson via a trade back into Round 1.

6 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

We gotta let our young guys play otherwise how are they gonna get better?

What young guys are you speaking of?  Yes, there is always the draft and Denver should land 2 immediate starters/contributors with their first 2 picks.

So just for the hell of it, let’s say they go Nelson at #5 and Michel with their 2nd since many seem to think Denver will be in on a RB.

The current roster would look:

QB: Keenum

RB: Anderson/Michel

WR: Thomas, Sanders, ???

TE: Butt, Traylor, Huermann

LT: Bolles

LG: Nelson

C: Paradis

RG: Leary

RT: Watson

Defense:

DE: Wolfe, Harris, Walker?

NT: Peko

OLB: Miller, Ray/Barrett

ILB: Davis, Marshall

CB: Harris, Roby, Brock

S: Stewart, Simmons

I see quite a few areas that could’ve been improved upon in FA and don’t really see a whole lot of young players (Butt, maybe Walker) getting opportunities that weren’t there before.

16 hours ago, champ11 said:

bruh if we have to watch Keenum behind a line that includes Menelik Watson I might just sit this one out 

Keenum is a great athlete who moves around well, it's one of his more under-appreciated traits. Come on man, haven't you been listening to The Fan?

15 hours ago, Epic said:

I would entertain the idea of trading C.J. Anderson to Miami for their RT, J'Wan Jones.   We could find another RB to pair with Booker, but I can't live with Watson as the swinging door Right Tackle.   Maybe we could deal C.J. to New England for a late 3rd, but more likely a 4th?  At least we could get a project in the draft that we can sub in when Watson completely fails on the right side.

We got a late-fifth for a future Hall of Famer at a critical position and that was considered good value. No way we're getting more for a slightly above-average RB.

13 hours ago, germ-x said:

That's what I've been saying for a while now. 

It took Mike a good five years to realize that Plummer was what he was and by the time he finally decided to embark on a real rebuild, beginning in the 2006 draft with Cutler & Co., it was too late to save his job. I still wonder what kind of path this franchise would have taken had Ellis not jumped at the opportunity for a power grab when Mr. B got sick. If Mike had stuck around in 2009, instead of going through the McDisaster, I wonder how things would have worked out. 

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Keenum is a great athlete who moves around well, it's one of his more under-appreciated traits. Come on man, haven't you been listening to The Fan?

lolllll man I believe it. I think Keenum could be successful with a revamped offense, but it's not looking like that's happening. I like the Alex Smith upside comp, but not behind this current line and with these weapons. 

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

This is my argument on why you take overall BPA early on - need is a year-to-year thing, but if you look to 2-3 years down the line, every position but QB is a position of need.   The draft is not how you address current-year needs.   Last year, people kept arguing against Foster saying we had Marshall & Davis & Nelson.   The same argument against Chubb this year with Wolfe/Gostis/Walker.    If a guy is elite-level, and you don't worry about the present-day situation.   Now, if the talent level is close, you can use need as a tiebreaker - why need later on is more than justifiable, once you are out of the top 50-75 depending on the depth of the draft, the gap is very small.   Or if you have 2 very equal talents early.  But not if there's a sizeable gap.

Honestly, we get Rosen/Darnold, great.    But if we aren't going there, just get the most talented guy, the elite difference-maker.

Klis threw out the possibility we'd go WR Round 1 (trade back hypothetical) - this is classic OMG terrible need-based drafting.  There are maybe 1-2 guys who might be a top 25 talent.  Might.  There are a ton of OL and D guys who are clear top-25 guys.   Don't do it.  That it came from Klis is just scary - because as bad as his takes are content-wise, as @AnAngryAmerican has noted, he's the org's mouthpiece.    

Please, Elway, go back to overall BPA.   Don't do present-day need-based drafting early. 

I just read that Klis article and this quote has me worried: 

The Broncos have expressed interest in several free-agent receivers, but one NFL source said the team is fishing in the small-contract waters.

When Klis says "NFL Source" it means someone high up inside Dove Valley. 

Now, I wouldn't mind, and I have mocked, us taking Michael Gallup in the late second or early third round, but given the lack of WR talent in this year's class, it's likely he gets picked higher than that. 

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I just read that Klis article and this quote has me worried: 

When Klis says "NFL Source" it means someone high up inside Dove Valley. 

Now, I wouldn't mind, and I have mocked, us taking Michael Gallup in the late second or early third round, but given the lack of WR talent in this year's class, it's likely he gets picked higher than that. 

There’s actually a lot of Day 2 talent at WR.   The top end talent is very lacking.  Only 2 WR seem to be locks to go Rd1 and pretty late (Ridley to BAL lol with the Bama connection) and maybe Sutton.  Maybe a 3rd guy makes it to late Rd1 but mostly the next tier of talent is actually quite deep.  DJ Moore, DJ Chark, Christian Kirk, ESB, Auden Tate (please no), Simie Cobbs, Anthony Miller & bad boy Calloway just to name a bunch who likely go sometime between Rd2-4.   Gallup belongs in that group and I like him over several among them but it’s next to impossible to separate them for different reasons they all kinda lump together. 

So Gallup at 3.8 or 3.99 is very possible. 

Wow. There is no way this is a coincidence. On the same day two of the three most connected guys on the Broncos beat (the third being Renck) are out with a column on the Broncos needs for a WR. Woody has this today on the 7news website

The Broncos have their quarterback in Keenum, but who will he throw to?

The Broncos reportedly are showing some curiosity about former Bills wide receiver Deonte Thompson, who is 29 and has 77 career receptions. He did make only $500,000 last season, and he did have field-stretching speed. Otherwise, the Broncos didn’t make a move on any of the high-price wideouts. They’ll have to draft in the first five rounds a wide receiver or two, and a tight end, and a running back.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's what I've been saying for a while now. 

It took Mike a good five years to realize that Plummer was what he was and by the time he finally decided to embark on a real rebuild, beginning in the 2006 draft with Cutler & Co., it was too late to save his job. I still wonder what kind of path this franchise would have taken had Ellis not jumped at the opportunity for a power grab when Mr. B got sick. If Mike had stuck around in 2009, instead of going through the McDisaster, I wonder how things would have worked out. 

I thought Mr. B was still well when Ellis hired the child.

Archived