LeVeon Bell @ His Contract Demand

Ward4HOF

On 1/17/2018 at 11:58 PM, Boltstrikes said:

Worth 14m for one year sure. I think Pittsburgh tags him and runs the wheels off that vehicle if and when he reports. 

Worth 42m guaranteed for three years? No way. Not to the Steelers. Maybe to the Browns or 49ers or any other team with a ton of cap room. He hit thet magical 400 touch mark. Never forget Jamal Lewis! 

And let's face it, unless we're counting 'pennies' here, he hit 395 touches in 2014. I know the whole 'goal of the game' is 400, but let's say--he hit 801 total touches in two non-consecutive, separate seasons, combined, is enough for me to take pause. Sure, he'll be 26 next season, but as you alluded, 3 years guaranteed?  Ah...no...especially when you can expect either the wheels will start to fall off this season, or by season 3 at the latest, because we 'rode him hard and put him away wet' for 2 seasons...or maybe just one season is all it takes.  IDK.

Point being, he was maybe worth the contract they offered him last year at age 24, for his age 25 season, plus some likely partial guarantees like AB got, like at the beginning of that particular NFL year, he's guaranteed a certain amount. Anyway, he that turned down.  I'd say he came close to earning his $12M Tag this season. Too bad, because he was offered $15M in the first year of that deal he turned down.

But now, he's a year older, and as you alluded, the 'Bell' might be starting to get some dents and cracks.  And now, the cost of the Tag would be $14M.  I do not want the Steelers to pay that for a RB...sorry, I just don't. We need help in other areas.  Sony Michel in the 2nd, or Bo Scarbrough in the 3rd, with using the $12M saved on ILB/OLB/S help we so desperately need? Yeah, I'm thinking that's the better plan. 

On 1/19/2018 at 12:55 PM, 1BackInBlackFan said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-blew-off-steelers-walkthrough-before-jaguars-loss/

Showed up five minutes before practiced ended on Saturday and late for the game. I guess he was busy tweeting.

If that's true, that's horrific.  

And a big huge laugh at "a coach or two" also being late.  Anyone want to put odds on it being Porter?  

No wonder the Steelers always under perform.   That's disgusting.

12 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

If that's true, that's horrific.  

And a big huge laugh at "a coach or two" also being late.  Anyone want to put odds on it being Porter?  

No wonder the Steelers always under perform.   That's disgusting.

Would love if it was Porter.

Reporter asks before the game about game-planning for the Jaguars and he says CAN WAIT...

10 hours ago, Counselor said:

Steelers shouldn't pay him big money. Go draft a young guy on the cheap and pair him with Conner 

Conner with someone like Mark Walton (Miami) or Sony Michel (Georgia) would be vicious.  Though I suspect Michel will be over-drafted.

17 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Would love if it was Porter.

Reporter asks before the game about game-planning for the Jaguars and he says CAN WAIT...

That was Bart Scott.  ???

Though still funny.  

On 1/20/2018 at 10:24 AM, 3rivers said:

Are there any DeAngelo Williams in UFA this year? The team never lost a step when he was starting .

There is a nice grouping of free agent runners available this year. 

Hyde, Crowell as previously mentioned. 

Frank Gore is still fairly useful, especially in a platoon. Still one of the best pass protecting backs as well, so he could be a decent signing. Jeremy Hill is a free agent. Orleans Darkwa, I believe. Dion Lewis. Shane Vereen if you want a pass catching back. Rex Burkhead has shown to be useful for the Pats. Damien Williams from Miami. Blount. Jerick McKinnon. Alfred Morris if you want someone to go downhill. It's a nice free agent class at running back. 

On 1/20/2018 at 1:24 PM, 3rivers said:

Are there any DeAngelo Williams in UFA this year? The team never lost a step when he was starting .

As good as Bell is, I think our OLine has a big part in the success of our running game.    I think Bell can pretty easily be replace as a runner....its his impact in the passing game we will miss.

I would sign Shane Vareen.   Cost effective and is a nice weapon in the passing game.

2 minutes ago, MathMan said:

Let him go to SF to start the 2nd dynasty.

I'm going to be really curious to see if we have any real interest there. Both Shanny and his dad appeared to favor a scheme > actual talent for running game, and pride themselves on creating studs out of forgotten guys later in the draft. Would seem to not be in his plans to drop 15 million a year on Bell...it's just hard to see them investing that kind of capital in him. But undoubtedly he'd be a huge boon to the offense. I just think that there would be more pressing guys that they would want to sign before they really get to Bell. Ziggy Ansah, whom I suspect will hit the market, Andrew Norwell or Justin Pugh, any of the top cornerbacks...I think that they have to feel that those would be more impactful signings 

Archived