GWT: Week 20 Vikings @ Eagles

gopherwrestler

Minnesota Vikings @ Philadelphia Eagles  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Minnesota Vikings
    • Philadelphia Eagles

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

They are very good, but Eagles are right behind them at number #2 for stopping 3rd down conversions and in the top ten for converting 3rd downs like the Vikings. (Comparison sake the Saints were the bottom 3rd in both categories)

The Eagles do it by a multifaceted attack, from many different people. And since football isn’t a vacuum, they are all boosted by one of the best o lines in the game. But yea one to one Saints backs are better.

But back to my original stats, it’s that reason why I think things could break for the Eagles. If they can string together some drives early, not even necessarily touchdown drives. If they can get that Vikings dline tired, which has already showed they’ve slowed down over the course of the season and last week’s game (even though the 3rd down conversion rate of the saints was way down that game) I just think it’s a big key to a successful night for the birds

They don’t need fluke plays or turnovers to win. They can do it with scheme and execution. Now they obviously can’t give the ball away themselves. 

Also with Shamar out it further puts pressure on that dline.

the vikings played the three best third down-converting teams in the league this year (besides themselves). their conversion rates:

PIT: 3/13 

TB: 1/6

ATL: 1/10

total: 5/29 (17%)

the other two teams they played in the top 10 were the panthers (5/15) and the rams (3/11). while not impossible i don't think long, sustained drives against the vikings is likely through an entire game. the eagles defense and special teams making plays to give the offense a short field will be critical for the eagles to put up points. 

5 minutes ago, whitehops said:

the vikings played the three best third down-converting teams in the league this year (besides themselves). their conversion rates:

PIT: 3/13 

TB: 1/6

ATL: 1/10

total: 5/29 (17%)

the other two teams they played in the top 10 were the panthers (5/15) and the rams (3/11). while not impossible i don't think long, sustained drives against the vikings is likely through an entire game. the eagles defense and special teams making plays to give the offense a short field will be critical for the eagles to put up points. 

Not sure if it's brought up as we all know the Vikings are great on 3rd downs, but the rate they stopped the other rate was one of the best in decades. We were historically good this year

17 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Oh yea it’s kinda an obvious thing, it’s just an important thing to watch and I think is a more extreme difference in the two teams that is worth noting.

7 fresher guys from a season and game standpoint vs now 4 with Stevens being out

Really we still have our rotation. Jaleel Johnson played well while in the limited time he has played while Stephens has been out and missed a couple spot games this year, he should add to the actual pass rush for us more than what Stephen did. Stephen was really just another big body that would come in on obvious running downs. 

Griffen
Hunter
Robison (Who also moves in as a inside pass rusher on distance downs)

Linval
Tom Johnson
Jaleel Johnson

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:
11 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Welp, we've now become underdogs

DT9YwTyWkAA1rBm.jpg

Yeah, honestly the media loves Philly and fans are extremely confident in their team. This underdog nonsense really doesn't belong.

NFL Networks picks are far from the norm. 

We are still underdogs and have been from the minute Wentz went down with a season ending injury.

Just look at some of the other networks analyst picks:

CBS - Vikings (7-1)

BleacherReport - Vikings (7-2)

ESPN - Vikings (7-1)

New England Patriots 1/1
Minnesota Vikings 2/1
Philadelphia Eagles 7/1
Jacksonville Jaguars

8/1

Vegas odds for teams to win the SB. Vikings are 3.5 point favorites on the road, which means if they were to play on a neutral field they would be a 7+ point favorite.

Eagles are clearly the underdogs. Does it matter? Not really, but it is reality.

I don't really understand why so much is being made of the "underdog" thing by Eagles fans.  If Wentz were still playing, you would be solid favorites.  The problem is that he isn't playing.  You went from having an MVP candidate running your offense to a mediocre backup with Foles.  If you want to see what that does to a team, just ask Packer fans.  They lived that situation for most of the year.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't really understand why so much is being made of the "underdog" thing by Eagles fans.  If Wentz were still playing, you would be solid favorites.  The problem is that he isn't playing.  You went from having an MVP candidate running your offense to a mediocre backup with Foles.  If you want to see what that does to a team, just ask Packer fans.  They lived that situation for most of the year.

I think sentences 3, 4, and 5 from your post address the confusion you expressed in sentence 1.

The Eagles went 13-3. 

And when Wentz tore his ACL and was ruled out for the year, the national narrative around the Eagles shifted from Super Bowl contender to not even winning a playoff game. 

Then the Divisional Round week of preparation started up and Vegas had the Eagles as the first #1 seed that was an underdog in the Divisional Round in NFL history. People were saying the Falcons were dangerous and going to win. 

You want to know why the Eagles players feel like underdogs? You really can't figure it out based on that description?

The players on that team feel disrespected because they were written off once Wentz went down. They want to show people that beyond Wentz, they're still a great team. And when people question that, it makes them want to show that even more.

Archived