GWT: Week 20 Jaguars @ Patriots

gopherwrestler

Jacksonville Jaguars @ New England Patriots  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Jacksonville Jaguars
    • New England Patriots

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Worst possible draw for the Pats in these entire playoffs. The Jags have the same makeup as the 2012 Ravens, but their defense is better at every level. If the Pats can't establish an offensive rhythm early, it's going to be one of "those" games for Brady, and not having Edelman is going to be a big problem because the Jags have the personnel to wipe out Gronk and make Cooks/Hogan non-factors. Could still win if Dion Lewis has a huge game (120+ yards on the ground) but I'm not betting on that.

On the other side, I expect the Pats to use the same defensive gameplan, more or less, that they did against Mariota/Henry. But I'm worried because Fournette and Yeldon actually factor into the passing game for the Jags, and the combination of mobile QB + good receiving backs has been a nightmare for the Pats defense for years now.

Jaguars 23, Patriots 21.

The Patriots have played these type defenses in big games before. By that I mean in the mold of Atlanta, Seattle, Miami, etc. The key is to attack them horizontally in the passing game vs. vertically. Dip and dunk down the field. I think the offensive game plan is going to be centered around the receiving backs...Lewis, Burkhead (coming back) and White. See: Seattle SB (Vereen), Atlanta (White). 

The Jaguars defense is no joke. They're fast, strong and aggressive (for better or worse). They can be overaggressive at times. Offensively the Patriots will have to be patient...at times it won't be pretty.

Agreed on the defensive game plan. The focus is to stop the running game. It's the basis of the entire Jaguars offense. They take deep, play-action shots when their running game is rolling. When it's not, Bortles really struggles to move the ball down the field.

I'm confident Belichick is going to game plan to shut down the running game and make Bortles try to get it down through the air. I really think he struggles in this one and people are yet again, overlooking the Patriots defense, and Belichick and Patricia's ability to scheme up a good game plan.

If the Jaguars create a couple T/O's, giving Bortles a short field, that's a different story.

I'm predicting a relatively low scoring game, where the Jaguars offense can't do enough. 21-10 Patriots.

I think the Patriots take this one.  I think it's close,  but at the same time you get the feeling the Patriots aren't threatened. 

The Jags have been hurt by guys who get rid of the ball quick(Rivers, Jimmy g). They've been hurt by receiving backs. Those are the two things that this Patriots do at an elite level.

It's interesting because the Jaguars,  on paper, have the ingredients to stop them. Coughlin knows how to beat them.  Wash, our defensive coordinator, is from Seattle regime who's had some success vs Brady at times (Bradley, a close friend of Wash also is the DC of Chargers who did a good job containing them this season). Malik was with that Broncos team.

The blue print is there to follow, but it is so much more difficult to execute than being talked about.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Worst possible draw for the Pats in these entire playoffs. The Jags have the same makeup as the 2012 Ravens, but their defense is better at every level. If the Pats can't establish an offensive rhythm early, it's going to be one of "those" games for Brady, and not having Edelman is going to be a big problem because the Jags have the personnel to wipe out Gronk and make Cooks/Hogan non-factors. Could still win if Dion Lewis has a huge game (120+ yards on the ground) but I'm not betting on that.

On the other side, I expect the Pats to use the same defensive gameplan, more or less, that they did against Mariota/Henry. But I'm worried because Fournette and Yeldon actually factor into the passing game for the Jags, and the combination of mobile QB + good receiving backs has been a nightmare for the Pats defense for years now.

Jaguars 23, Patriots 21.

You keep referencing the 2012 Ravens, ignoring that the Pats weapons this year are significantly better than that year.

Hernandez/Ridley/Woodhead/Fells/Lloyd/Welker/Branch

Gronkowski/Lewis/White/Cooks/Hogan/Amendola

The Pats had no deep threat in 2012 and only Welker/Hernandez over the middle. The Ravens didn't need to respect the outside or deep zones. Ridley/Woodhead were significantly worse receivers (especially route running) than Lewis/White

You say the Jags are better at every level but so are the Pats. A healthy Gronk and two quality perimeter receivers makes a huge difference.

The Jags could shut the Pats down, they have the pieces to do it. But comparing the 2017 Pats offense to many previous years doesn't work. If (big if) the offense is healthy and in sync, the Pats have their best/deepest group of offensive talent in a long time. It's very difficult to execute a Ravens or Giants game plan when Gronk, Cooks, Hogan and Amendola are all healthy

This will come down to turnovers and whether or not the Pats can run the ball. Brady should be able to move the ball enough to score a few TD unless the OL melts down. If they are their usual shaky big passable selves, I expect the Pats to get plenty of yards.

If New England plays a clean game - no stupid penalties, 1 or 0 turnovers, I think they win

26-17 Pats

4 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I wonder who will be tasked with covering Gronkowski on most snaps. Ramsey might be interesting. 

AJ Bouye started to earn his reputation in Houston for being the guy covering TEs. Covered Gronk in last years' Texans/Pats matchup and picked Brady off twice.

He's got demonstrated success against TEs (covered Kelce when KC/Hou played, was on Delanie Walker when Hou played Tenn).

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

AJ Bouye started to earn his reputation in Houston for being the guy covering TEs. Covered Gronk in last years' Texans/Pats matchup and picked Brady off twice.

He's got demonstrated success against TEs (covered Kelce when KC/Hou played, was on Delanie Walker when Hou played Tenn).

I think having Bouye or Ramsey on Gronk benefits NE, which is why I think they go with a combo of the safeties (Gipson/Church) and LBs (Smith/Jack) in bracket coverage. 

If you put one of the CBs on Gronk and they do manage to mostly keep him locked down (far from a given, even for Ramsey IMO), it makes the other and Colvin go cover Cooks, Hogan, and Amendola. Those guys get frustrated with physical play and I imagine they’d love to see Colvin over Bouye. 

The one thing you have to consider if you have the bigger guys cover Gronk, is that you need someone to cover the running backs. 

Should be really interesting to see how they go about defending NE. If the D-line is pouring it on, it’ll be a lot less of a pressing matter.

Archived