NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think that judgement depends on whether or not Tom is ready.  Because he is probably a not as good version of Jenkins and in theory can get us out of a game at any of the 5 positions.  But if Tom is not ready yet, Hanson probably offers more than CVL, Walker, or Jones on game day right now.

So far I've heard nothing about Tom taking C snaps. Maybe next week he does but I'd like to see both he and Jenkins get a few snaps in.

As long as they have that then I'd prefer we cut or trade Hanson to a C needy team and roll with 8 olinemen on opening day 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Mary Kay Cabot -   Browns Deshaun Watson suspended 11 games, up from six, and fined $5M in settlement,

Good on the NFL.  6 games for his actions, and 5 games from the NFL owners for that Browns contract. Just kidding, but I hope it sends a msg throughout the NFL.

Per Schefter, Watsons first game back on the schedule is against.....ahhh Houston.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's too harsh. He wasn't brutal. He gave up, what, two pressures? And had a couple decent reach blocks in the run game. The highly agile/less powerful "lose slow" style will play better with a guy like Myers next to him. 

The issue with Hanson is that no matter how you work the numbers, it's really hard to slot him in a spot. He's probably the 4th best C on the roster behind Jenkins, Myers, and Tom (given some reps at the spot). He's, what the 6th best guard behind Jenkins, Runyan, Newman, and Tom and Rhyan (given some reps at the spot)?

He can't play Tackle.

His ceiling at Guard is super low.

his ceiling at Center is low.

His only real chance is as a one year stop gap before Tom runs him off the roster. But if you're the staff, don't you prefer to give any potential reps to Tom knowing that in 6 weeks of live reps, he'll be better than Hanson will ever be?

He was losing 'slowly' to second and third stringers. He will be barely a speed bump against first stringers. His biggest problem is, where is the upside? He's been around here what 3 years? Hasn't gotten strong enough or stout enough and to your point, so many guys who are in the process of blowing by him with way more upside. 

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He was losing 'slowly' to second and third stringers. He will be barely a speed bump against first stringers. His biggest problem is, where is the upside? He's been around here what 3 years? Hasn't gotten strong enough or stout enough and to your point, so many guys who are in the process of blowing by him with way more upside. 

For the record, I'm not a Hanson fan.  By any means.

But...regarding offensive linemen....I've learned not to totally bury a guy.  Past lessons learned from.....

Marco Rivera (I despised him early), Lane Taylor, Lucas Patrick, Yosh Nijman.

I always was a Yosh fan, though.  Kindda had to be with that size and athletic traits.

Point being....sometimes it takes time for an OL to get it.  Even took Lang time.

42 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

To an extent, that's playing offensive line, and especially Center in general, if you're not a stud.

Winning a rep is keeping a guy from getting wear he wants to go for 3.5 seconds.

Losing a rep is keeping a guy from getting where he wants to go in 1.5 second. 

But I agree, I'm done with him at this point. If he hangs out on the PS, fine, but he shouldn't be active. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

For the record, I'm not a Hanson fan.  By any means.

But...regarding offensive linemen....I've learned not to totally bury a guy.  Past lessons learned from.....

Marco Rivera (I despised him early), Lane Taylor, Lucas Patrick, Yosh Nijman.

I always was a Yosh fan, though.  Kindda had to be with that size and athletic traits.

Point being....sometimes it takes time for an OL to get it.  Even took Lang time.

None of those guys lacked the bulk and strength to eventually get it done. Hanson's biggest weakness is his lack of size and strength so he can't really anchor. 

As of right now Hanson is the starting RG if Jenkins is out, and he's still the backup C if Jenkins is back. Unless someone other than Myers starts getting some significant snaps at C (Tom?), his chances of making the 53 seem pretty good. I don't like him either, but it's obvious Packer coaches like him more than we do. 

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Mary Kay Cabot -   Browns Deshaun Watson suspended 11 games, up from six, and fined $5M in settlement,

So, Watson gets nicked for 5 million from the NFL. You have to wonder how much he had to pay in those settlements with the 25 women. Throw in the taxes he's going to have to pay on that contract and the costs his defense attorneys and agent are going to get and wow. He might need so sign another contract after this one to be solid in retirement. 

😂

17 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

As of right now Hanson is the starting RG if Jenkins is out, and he's still the backup C if Jenkins is back. Unless someone other than Myers starts getting some significant snaps at C (Tom?), his chances of making the 53 seem pretty good. I don't like him either, but it's obvious Packer coaches like him more than we do. 

We will see Tom get the snaps at C within the next week.  I'd hope so at least. The sooner we get him comfortable at all five positions, the sooner we can move on from Hanson.

• Like 1