NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Motherf**ker. Damnit Gute, for once I'd like to win a trade, lol. 

Lol, the national media puts the Packers name in every potential trade in the NFL since Gutes took over and said they would be 'in every conversion'. Packers can't/won't deny the trade rumors either because it would be contrary to the image they were trying to put out. 

With the price being next to nothing for Shenault, a wise fan might want to try to understand why the Packers wouldn't give-up an empty tin can for him.      

• Like 2

Tom Pelissero -  The Vikings are waiving QB Kellen Mond, per source. A third-round pick out of Texas A&M in 2021, Mond had a lot of fans in the pre-draft process. But he struggled in preseason action and Minnesota's new regime traded for Nick Mullens recently. Now, Mond heads to waivers.

30 minutes ago, Leader said:

Tom Pelissero -  The Vikings are waiving QB Kellen Mond, per source. A third-round pick out of Texas A&M in 2021, Mond had a lot of fans in the pre-draft process. But he struggled in preseason action and Minnesota's new regime traded for Nick Mullens recently. Now, Mond heads to waivers.

They didn't deserve his future greatness

21 minutes ago, Sandy said:

This seems more like they couldn't trade him and just want to get draft pick compensation next year.

Which won't happen because he's a free agent with a clause they can't tag him. Best they are looking at is a comp pick in 2024. My guess is he won't fetch more than a 4th or 5th round comp pick. 

Although it was reported his no trade clause could be waived if a team comes knocking during the season and Jimmy G would be the starter if traded. I'm sure that trade would involve a nice, new contract for Mr. Mediocre. 

Edited by Old Guy

34 minutes ago, Leader said:

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

They didn't deserve his future greatness

Does this kid even get picked up on waivers or does he go to somebody's practice squad? 

20 minutes ago, Sandy said:

This seems more like they couldn't trade him and just want to get draft pick compensation next year.

Yeah, a half decent comp pick or they could trade him this year if he agrees to waive the no trade clause so he would have to approve of the destination. If he does see the field for the 9ers, his salary more than doubles with escalators so he will probably ride it out unless a very good opportunity opens up. On paper it’s not a terrible deal but the fact that it all happened last minute means things are not going as planned. 

27 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Yeah someone on twitter likened it to selling your house. If you're not getting any offers, why not wait until next spring and try it again when there's more foot traffic out.

46 minutes ago, R T said:

With the price being next to nothing for Shenault, a wise fan might want to try to understand why the Packers wouldn't give-up an empty tin can for him.      

I mean I think that's rather obvious. Amari Rodgers is a 3rd round pick and he's not going anywhere this year, full stop. Shenault is the same mold of player so it wouldn't make sense to have both. Packers certainly aren't a team that makes those types of "in and out" moves with players and you certainly have to be careful with that stuff for locker room purposes, etc. Shenault has two years left on his contract whereas Rodgers has three so it's not like Shenault is a rental and he's cheap. The former is obviously very far ahead of the latter in terms of performance, at least right now. 

To put the question a different way: If Shenault and Rodgers were both available in the 3rd round of the 2021 draft, who do you think Gute would have taken? Shenault would have been an improvement over Amari, I don't think any serious person can say otherwise, but the Packers simply don't do business that way, which is fine too.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Does this kid even get picked up on waivers or does he go to somebody's practice squad? 

I'd imagine he's a PS guy I guess. I didn't think he looked all bad the little bit I saw him. He was a mess coming out though. 

Albert Breer - 

2018 Draft QBs, four years later ...

• Baker Mayfield (1): starting for his 2nd team.

• Sam Darnold (3): backing up Mayfield on his 2nd team.

• Josh Allen (7): Top 5 player at the position.

• Josh Rosen (10): cut by his 6th team.

• Lamar Jackson (32): '19 MVP, 2 Pro Bowls.

• Like 2