NFL News & Notes

Leader

35 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Do their job for 6 months, keep their noses clean and they can live in their paradise the other 6 months.  Tough life .. 

Don’t pay for a lot of the daily needs either. Finest healthcare possible. All those of us that didn’t make it should just be happy some of us did and can I guess. Not like they haven’t earned it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

Exactly. You can do anything in a boat on any body of water in the world that you would do on Green Bay with a boat. You've made the point that it isn't special. You can have a boat there really isn't a great selling point.  Also, most people can't afford a boat nice enough to be more fun than work. If you have to invest 20k+ on something to make a place enjoyable is it really?

Look I don't WANT to **** on Green Bay but it's small (1/4 the size of any other NFL city) and the weather sucks and there's nothing exceptional about it other than the Packers. That's just reality. 

Most people 30+ want nothing to do with city living. Being 5 miles from your destination and taking 30 minutes to get there is enough to make me want to end it. If you're someone born in a rural or suburban area and lived their your entire life, Green Bay is an awesome place to live. I don't even live there, but I went to college 45 mins away in Oshkosh and that's pretty much the same town without the Packers.

Cities are where you go in college or post college to meet someone, have your 2-3 years of fun with no responsibility, then you move the hell out to the burbs and enjoy the quiet and get old and cranky.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Name a pro sports market that would be worse to play in as a single twenty something year old than Green Bay. 

What % of NFL players do you think qualify as outdoorsmen?

How much time do players actually have to go do anything in the middle of the playing season?

Name a player that has left Green Bay for a 2nd contract elsewhere? (that GB wanted back)

No one's is saying Jaire Alexander or Kenny Clark love Green Bay and will stay there in retirement. It's the NFL, money talks, and I'd argue the actual facilities the players spend their 60-70 hrs a week in (locker rooms, meeting rooms, weight room, training room, etc...) matter more to an incoming FA than what clubs or entertainment a city has. No NFL player can go party on a Friday night before a Sunday game in the social media era, it'd be all over.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Name a player that has left Green Bay for a 2nd contract elsewhere? (that GB wanted back)

No one's is saying Jaire Alexander or Kenny Clark love Green Bay and will stay there in retirement. It's the NFL, money talks, and I'd argue the actual facilities the players spend their 60-70 hrs a week in (locker rooms, meeting rooms, weight room, training room, etc...) matter more to an incoming FA than what clubs or entertainment a city has. No NFL player can go party on a Friday night before a Sunday game in the social media era, it'd be all over.

I’m not saying the organization and people or lore don’t make up for it as a place to work. Or that it’s even been a problem any more than any other organization has because of any other reason. I’m saying every other city has the same amenities, plus others. It’s the least exciting town in pro sports, if you are the athlete. Furthermore, the business opportunities in Green Bay are pretty weak.

9 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

What is there that isn’t in every other NFL city? A small town feel isn’t the only thing, right?

Right, it's not just a small town feel. Other than not having other major sports teams (NBA, MLB, NHL) there is nothing GB doesn't have that other NFL cities don't. We have great seasonal recreation activities, great food and drink, great arts, great schools, great people, less crime, less congestion. My wife and I were born here and moved back to raise our children. Couldn't ask for a better place to live and raise a family. We stay busy and active all year long.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Most people 30+ want nothing to do with city living. Being 5 miles from your destination and taking 30 minutes to get there is enough to make me want to end it. If you're someone born in a rural or suburban area and lived their your entire life, Green Bay is an awesome place to live. I don't even live there, but I went to college 45 mins away in Oshkosh and that's pretty much the same town without the Packers.

Cities are where you go in college or post college to meet someone, have your 2-3 years of fun with no responsibility, then you move the hell out to the burbs and enjoy the quiet and get old and cranky.

I would have to disagree with “most people” considering there are a whole lot of people 30+ who do choose to live in cities.  It comes down to what you like and that is different for many people.  I love living in a very dense city with so much to do but also a lot of natural beauty nearby.   The expense/quality of life calculation is a always a real thing but I would enjoy the country or deep burbs for a short while, and then really miss the energy of a city. There are probably some happy mediums out there and I do feel differently in my deep 40’s than my early 20’s but I accept people will have their own take on what’s best.

If you were at 20 something millionaire, especially a 20 something African American millionaire, GB would likely not be at the top of your list. If anything, the dating scene is a fraction of what there would be in a larger city. Of course these guys can live where they want in the off season but for anyone starting a family, it is probably preferable to raise kids in one place. In the end, if a player even has a 10 year career, that is a huge win and windfall of money so get it while you can but people will still have their preferences. It’s not surprising that GB interviews guys to make sure they have a good perspective on what having a pro sports career in a small town would be like.  It’s not for everyone, but then again, nothing is.

• Like 2

Ian Rapoport -  Raiders QB Derek Carr has informed the team he won’t accept a trade to the Saints or any other team. The team is expected to release him and he’ll be a top free agent.

• Andrew Brandt -    Translation: the agent has found a team that will pay him more than he was scheduled to receive (and doesn’t have to give draft picks to Raiders).

DK to the NYJs coming up...........

If I were the Jets, I'd take Carr over AR in a heartbeat.
He's younger, cheaper, wont cost any draft picks, not talking about retiring every two minutes or his latest orgasmic experience.

Edited by Leader