NFL News & Notes

Leader

19 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Name a player that has left Green Bay for a 2nd contract elsewhere? (that GB wanted back)

No one's is saying Jaire Alexander or Kenny Clark love Green Bay and will stay there in retirement. It's the NFL, money talks, and I'd argue the actual facilities the players spend their 60-70 hrs a week in (locker rooms, meeting rooms, weight room, training room, etc...) matter more to an incoming FA than what clubs or entertainment a city has. No NFL player can go party on a Friday night before a Sunday game in the social media era, it'd be all over.

this is what I was alluding to by all these polls about visiting or playing in NFL cities. Any player who would eliminate a team based on the city is super soft for the reasons you list above.

Have to be a special kind of soft to avoid playing for a franchise like GB because you're super boring and "there's nothing to do there" when you should be focused on your million-dollar career when you're there anyway.

Great litmus test of someone's softness or unseriousness.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Refugee said:

I would have to disagree with “most people” considering there are a whole lot of people 30+ who do choose to live in cities.  It comes down to what you like and that is different for many people.  I love living in a very dense city with so much to do but also a lot of natural beauty nearby.   The expense/quality of life calculation is a always a real thing but I would enjoy the country or deep burbs for a short while, and then really miss the energy of a city. There are probably some happy mediums out there and I do feel differently in my deep 40’s than my early 20’s but I accept people will have their own take on what’s best.

If you were at 20 something millionaire, especially a 20 something African American millionaire, GB would likely not be at the top of your list. If anything, the dating scene is a fraction of what there would be in a larger city. Of course these guys can live where they want in the off season but for anyone starting a family, it is probably preferable to raise kids in one place. In the end, if a player even has a 10 year career, that is a huge win and windfall of money so get it while you can but people will still have their preferences. It’s not surprising that GB interviews guys to make sure they have a good perspective on what having a pro sports career in a small town would be like.  It’s not for everyone, but then again, nothing is.

Plus there a lot of different types of city living/vibes. NYC city living is different than LA is different than Milwaukee is different than Vegas etc. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leader said:

DK to the NYJs coming up...........

If I were the Jets, I'd take Carr over AR in a heartbeat.
He's younger, cheaper, wont cost any draft picks, not talking about retiring every two minutes or his latest orgasmic experience.

Go ahead .. take Carr.  They'll be in the same sh**hole after next season.  Being younger, cheaper without giving up picks doesn't mean squat to the Jets owner.  DK wouldn't do a thing for that team.  Jet's owner wants a splash and now.

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Go ahead .. take Carr.  They'll be in the same sh**hole after next season.  Being younger, cheaper without giving up picks doesn't mean squat to the Jets owner.  DK wouldn't do a thing for that team.  Jet's owner wants a splash and now.

I disagree that Carr couldnt help them.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:02 PM, 15412 said:

I get what you're saying about GB to a point.  DePere is a very nice place to live, no?  That whole area has more than the Packers, the big water to fish is outstanding.  Not sure I want to actually eat the fish it produces though....

Eating anything out of the Bay is fine, and the farther north you go, the better and cleaner the water gets.

The Fox River, though?  Yah, don't eat anything out of there.  Unless you want your poop to glow in the dark.  And that's only cool once.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:14 PM, 15412 said:

Well, I love ice fishing and no I don't need to eat every fish I catch.  I do a lot of catch and release and rarely take more than I can eat fresh.  Lakes not that far to the north offer plenty of fish for consumption and my species can cover ground fast

Wife and I got our 30 perch up in Door County, two weeks ago.  We were fishing about a 10 minute walk off a public launch.  Perch were 10-14 inches long.  Most were 10-12.  Probably 6 of them went 13-14.

I've fished the Chippewa Flowage for about 6 years now.

I used to summer in Vilas County and fished there for about 35 years.

I've jumped into a lot of rivers on the NE part of the state for trout.

I now live in SE Wisconsin and have access to Pewaukee Lake.

None of those areas, combined, offers what Green Bay does, fishing wise.  And if you are in Door County, you also have access to Lake Michigan and some of the best salmon fishing out there.  

On 2/11/2023 at 7:26 PM, wgbeethree said:

Exactly. You can do anything in a boat on any body of water in the world that you would do on Green Bay with a boat. You've made the point that it isn't special. You can have a boat there really isn't a great selling point.  Also, most people can't afford a boat nice enough to be more fun than work. If you have to invest 20k+ on something to make a place enjoyable is it really?

Look I don't WANT to **** on Green Bay but it's small (1/4 the size of any other NFL city) and the weather sucks and there's nothing exceptional about it other than the Packers. That's just reality. 

K.  So I agree with you concerning Lake Michigan.  Though I know plenty of people who love running through Veterans Park and taking in the sunrises.  All times of the year.  Plenty of shore fishing opportunities down there.  Tons actually.  But if you aren't into fishing?  Kayaking, if you are into that.  Boat wise, you do not need a 20k boat to enjoy the Harbor.  But, it sure doesn't hurt things if you do have one.  Then there are booze cruises and bars/restaurants right on the river downtown.  Many people like relaxing by water.

But that is just the Milwaukee Harbour and McKinley park area.  I don't love it down there, also I do not hate it.  And when I do go down there for trout/salmon, I do have a good time.

But Green Bay is is different.  There are so many parks within an hour of Green Bay that you can explore anything.  White Dunes on Lake Michigan.  Penninsula Park.  Potawatomi Park....etc.  And tons more of parks that just don't offer camping.

Look up Newport State Park.  It is one of just a slight few "dark parks" in the nation.  If you want to, you can camp on Lake Michigan's shoreline and see things in the sky that you would never, ever see around a city.  It's an amazing feeling.  (Clearly this is where Rodgers is "going dark".  :) )

While I do own a very fancy and expensive fishing boat, I'll bet I only take it north one out of two times I go up there.  Why?  There is plenty to do without needing a boat...and much of it revolves around being near water.

And that is just for me.  No doubt that I'm not the demographic that the Packers are drafting.  I can totally see where the city and it's main attractions do not endear itself to NFL football players.

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not via trade. He's already nixed that idea. 

He's doing his new team a solid while sticking it to the Raiders.  He's making it so the Saints don't have to give up any compensation, and can get his contract structured in a way that works for them.  He could shop around, but I think he's had his wife in for a visit there and likes the situation.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's doing his new team a solid while sticking it to the Raiders.  He's making it so the Saints don't have to give up any compensation, and can get his contract structured in a way that works for them.  He could shop around, but I think he's had his wife in for a visit there and likes the situation.

I think this is correct, but once released, I think there could be more than a few teams after his services and things could change.

Will Bieniemy move on to a HC position or has he been promised the torch when Reid moves on and wants to stay and keep winning?  Andy was quick to give him credit when the trophy was being given. Seems like there must be some agreement there because he would have been poached a long time ago.