NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Yah he's pretty horrible.  Leave it to Barry to make him look like an all pro.  Not a fan of short QB's.  Rarely do they ever work out.  5'10" isn't going to cut it.  Always exceptions but they are rare.  Kyle Murray is OK same height as Young.  17th ranked QB.  Probably the ceiling for short guys.  Top QB's in the league are 6'2" or above.  Little guys can't see over the line.  Big disadvantage. 

43 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Yah he's pretty horrible.  Leave it to Barry to make him look like an all pro.  Not a fan of short QB's.  Rarely do they ever work out.  5'10" isn't going to cut it.  Always exceptions but they are rare.  Kyle Murray is OK same height as Young.  17th ranked QB.  Probably the ceiling for short guys.  Top QB's in the league are 6'2" or above.  Little guys can't see over the line.  Big disadvantage. 

I feel like Madden needs to add a height disadvantage for short QBs in the game. Only way these teams will realize how much of a disadvantage it is. When the kids age to become GMs they will remember what a struggle it was

Philly game last night was just another example of how the Fangio defence has been figured out and is now obsolete in the NFL. That style of defence is also obsessed with using prevent defence which has been proven time and time again that it doesn't work. The best QBs and middling QBs will just throw underneath all day long and also have minimum pass rush to deal with as well. It's far too easy to drive down the field.

Youtuber The Franchise Guy did a really good video about this a couple of years ago and it has aged fantastically well since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7quyQ-N_cYM

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Scoremore said:

You've got to be exceptionally athletic or exceptionally accurate to overcome the height thing.  Brees did it, Russ/Kyler did it.

I would guess Bryce Young has a nice career as a backup if he doesn't return to starting.  Can't see him as a starter now though.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

You've got to be exceptionally athletic or exceptionally accurate to overcome the height thing.  Brees did it, Russ/Kyler did it.

I would guess Bryce Young has a nice career as a backup if he doesn't return to starting.  Can't see him as a starter now though.

Once youre highly successful in a pro ish scheme in college i dont think heights the problem anymore. The leap from college to pro just sorts more guys out. Think Young just couldnt make the next leap, happens to tons and tons of 6'2 guys.

I don't think Bryce Young has gotten a fair shake of the stick.  Carolina is a dumpster.  They churned through Baker AND Darnold - both of whom are fair to good starters now.

No continuity AND no preseason reps AND no playmakers in year 1 is a recipe for disaster unless you are Peyton Manning.

Caleb is struggling with excellent weapons.  Bryce Young had nothing and nobody except for Joe Barry on his side.

I would trade Malik Willis for him if/when Love is healthy again.

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't think Bryce Young has gotten a fair shake of the stick.  Carolina is a dumpster.  They churned through Baker AND Darnold - both of whom are fair to good starters now.

Agree with this. Carolina cant put a roster together and Young's got zero help out there. Now....I remain a skeptic about "smaller" QBs - but there have been some who've shown it can be done. It's unlikely to happen in Carolina however.

16 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am thinking CAR is unlikely to go for a Willis/Young swap after reviewing the contortions MLF just went through trying to protect Willis from actually having to play QB.

yeah I don't think they would do it either.  But if Carolina wants to make a clean break from Young, I'd be game for a cheap price.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am thinking CAR is unlikely to go for a Willis/Young swap after reviewing the contortions MLF just went through trying to protect Willis from actually having to play QB.

I don't know Carolina's roster, especially their OL, but it takes a very good OL and play caller to stick with the run like that.  Even in the second half when they loaded the box, we kept running and chewing time.  Not many play callers would do that, but we did.

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah I don't think they would do it either.  But if Carolina wants to make a clean break from Young, I'd be game for a cheap price.

He's got contract considerations.  Don't think I'd want him at north of 9 mil/season.  So really not an option unless Carolina agrees to eat a portion of his contract.  It's fully guaranteed so don't know what they are going to do with that fiasco. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

He's got contract considerations.  Don't think I'd want him at north of 9 mil/season.  So really not an option unless Carolina agrees to eat a portion of his contract.  It's fully guaranteed so don't know what they are going to do with that fiasco. 

Young if traded would be around $4.2M and $5.8M the next 2 years.  Carolina would take on the prorated signing bonus

• Like 1