NFL News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Malfatron said:

definitely true.

but if im the coach, i try to get a few extra yards

for the bears, a 41 yarder at crunch time is a coin flip

This is just internet stuff. I dont believe in curses.
This FG kicker failed. He'd won some game (or games) earlier in the year with good kicking. He missed this one - and apparently - had missed a shorter one earlier.

lolol @ nagy. "We're wasting our time talking about this right now". Does he really expect to walk into that room and not have to answer questions about that?

The interesting thing is that the kneel itself never even had to happen. Someone (Nagy? not Trubisky) called timeout after the previous play ended with 43 seconds left on the clock. They could have just let it run if they needed to eat clock. Not that the kneel itself made the difference.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is just internet stuff. I dont believe in curses.
This FG kicker failed. He'd won some game (or games) earlier in the year with good kicking. He missed this one - and apparently - had missed a shorter one earlier.

I don't know how the wind conditions were but an extra point is 33 yards.  A 41 yarder shouldn't be that much harder.  You line up, snap the ball, hold it, kick it, like you do all week, win the game and go home.  It's not Nagy's fault the kicker missed it.  If it goes in, everyone is talking about how great he is for not giving Trubisky a chance to loose them the game. 

IMO nobody knows anything about kicking a football other than Justin Tucker.  That's why this leads to 10 million arguments about things that don't matter, like a 38 yard vs 41 yard field goal.  Also why we see some kickers get paid so much, or teams thinking picking a kicker in the 2nd round is a good idea.  

21 hours ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport - Bears coach Matt Nagy told players this week it’s “horse expletive” to run it 7 times. He took ownership & will run it more today, listening to his O-linemen in the process… but they need to deliver, too.

The Bears ran it 38 times for 162 yards (4.3 YPC) and still lost. Leading carrier David Montgomery averaged 5 yards per carry. Even more fun was the fact that in spite of their rushing success, Nagy decided that on first down with over 40 seconds on the clock, and with a timeout in his pocket, that a 40 plus yard FG was a gimme. In the end he essentially told his O-lineman that he didn't trust them, going so far as to sacrifice yardage with a kneel down rather than try to make the FG easier with a couple more runs. Oddly if you were watching as I was, he also neglected to run a play to the middle of the field to spot the ball between the hashes, instead settling for a spot on the left hash. The fatal FG attempt missed just to the left of the left goalpost.

Coaching kills my friends.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

The Bears ran it 38 times for 162 yards (4.3 YPC) and still lost. Leading carrier David Montgomery averaged 5 yards per carry. Even more fun was the fact that in spite of their rushing success, Nagy decided that on first down with over 40 seconds on the clock, and with a timeout in his pocket, that a 40 plus yard FG was a gimme. In the end he essentially told his O-lineman that he didn't trust them, going so far as to sacrifice yardage with a kneel down rather than try to make the FG easier with a couple more runs. Oddly if you were watching as I was, he also neglected to run a play to the middle of the field to spot the ball between the hashes, instead settling for a spot on the left hash. The fatal FG attempt missed just to the left of the left goalpost.

Coaching kills my friends.

I thought it was turnovers why the bears lost. They should have never been in that situation to begin with. 

10 hours ago, Norm said:

I'm fine with what he did. And the press is annoying. He just got short with them really easily

Yah, that happens when you are underachieving.  His offensive woes are as much on him as it is Mitch.  

He's clearly not building on the offense from last year and teams have caught up.

The same will happen with us the more film we put out there.  Gotta adapt and that's what I've liked about MLF and Rodgers now.  They seem to be advancing the offense.

Ben Fennell - 2017 Draft class of RBs was:

Alvin Kamara
Christian McCaffrey
Tarik Cohen
Aaron Jones
Dalvin Cook
Leonard Fournette
Joe Mixon
Kareem Hunt
James Conner
Jamaal Williams
Marlon Mack