NFL News & Notes

Leader

The GB power structure has changed considerably since the GB East guys left.  Some of them seemed to come out on the short end of the reorg when it all went down.  I don't see any of them returning.

The CLE ownership seems a little off the rails.  When I read yesterday that the owners decided the new HC hire would have a say in the status of the current GM, it seemed pretty clear that Dorsey wouldn't be long for the job.  What GM would want to stay under those circumstances?  Talk about being neutered.

Edited by Mazrimiv

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

As much as I dislike Rodgers getting paid 30 million a year, I'd still rather have him at that price than Trubisky for free. 

I mean with Trubisky for free you could afford to keep him clean for 10 seconds and surround him with talented skill players. Maybe he'd even fail with that though, who knows......

Field Yates -  NFL team-by-team winning % this decade:

1. NE: .781
2. GB: .644
3. PIT: .641
4. SEA: .628
5. NO: .625
6. BAL: .613
7. KC: .600
T-8. ATL: .556
T-8. DEN: .556
10. PHI: .544
11. DAL: .537
T-12. HOU: .512
T-12. IND: .512
T-12. MIN 512
15. SF: .503
16. CAR: .491
17. CIN: .487
18. LAC: .481
T-19. CHI: .475
T-19. ARI: .475
21. LAR: .459
22. DET: .453
23. BUF:.444
T-24. NYG:.438
T-24. MIA: .438
26. TEN: .431
27. NYJ: .425
28. OAK: .394
29. WAS: .391
30. TB: 369
31. JAX: .319
32. CLE: .266

• Ross Uglem - AFC East is a helluva drug.

24 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Popcorn sales ?

Dorsey "resigned" in Seattle. He "agreed to part ways" in KC. Now more of the same in Cleveland. He also loves bringing in bad character guys. No thanks.

Say what you want about the guy- he’s got an eye for talent and choir boys don’t won’t football games.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Say what you want about the guy- he’s got an eye for talent and choir boys don’t won’t football games.

Who also threw out the work the analytics department put together in a nearby trash can in front of the entire staff before a meeting started. The guy doesn't play well with others and that's not good for an organization. 

What do all of you make of the Cleveland's disastrous season considering they had so many ex-Packers within the organisation? There was a school of thought that injecting people from a highly reputable organisation would go some way towards solving the dysfunction at Cleveland. Clearly this didn't turn out to be the case and they just continued to be dysfunctional.

Cut at 53 cutdown: Joe Kerridge, Brian Price, Lenzy Pipkins

Players: JC Tretter, Justin McCray, J'Mon Moore, Demarious Randall, Morgan Burnett, Jermaine Whitehead (got cut in-season)

Front Office: John Dorsey, Eliot Wolf, Alonzo Highsmith

Coaches: James Campen, Jeff Blasko, Joe Whitt Jr

Apart from Tretter and Dorsey who left at least 3 years ago, all of them were part of the Packers organisation during our decline in the last couple of years before LaFleur's arrival. It got pretty dysfunctional at the end and all these people played a part in that.

In hindsight stockpiling individuals who left the Packers who contributed to our decline may not have been the best course of action for Cleveland.

• Like 1

It was all Tom's fault................

ESPN:  Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan is giving general manager Dave Caldwell and head coach Doug Marrone another chance to prove that the 2017 season wasn't a fluke.

Khan announced Tuesday that he was keeping both in their roles for at least the 2020 season despite a second consecutive losing season after the team's surprising run to the AFC title game in 2017. Khan fired executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin on Dec. 18, two days after the NFLPA's scathing rebuke and warning to players to be wary of signing with the Jaguars, and he has apparently determined that the bulk of the blame for this season falls at Coughlin's feet.

Khan said in a statement he doesn't believe this was the time to make a complete change in the organization.

"While our discussions will remain confidential, the decision I am making to keep our staff intact for 2020 has nothing to do with our victory on Sunday and everything to do with my positive meetings with Dave, Doug, the coordinators and our players, as well as my belief that this is not the time to consider an overhaul of our organization," he said.

"The 2019 season was unacceptable and I've made my dissatisfaction clear. While many unusual circumstances influenced our season, none can fully explain or defend our second-half collapse with first place in the division within reach on Week 9. At the same time, there were positive developments and contributions that should not be overlooked."

Caldwell and Marrone have two years remaining on the contract extensions they were given after the 2017 season.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

It was all Tom's fault................

ESPN:  Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan is giving general manager Dave Caldwell and head coach Doug Marrone another chance to prove that the 2017 season wasn't a fluke.

Khan announced Tuesday that he was keeping both in their roles for at least the 2020 season despite a second consecutive losing season after the team's surprising run to the AFC title game in 2017. Khan fired executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin on Dec. 18, two days after the NFLPA's scathing rebuke and warning to players to be wary of signing with the Jaguars, and he has apparently determined that the bulk of the blame for this season falls at Coughlin's feet.

Khan said in a statement he doesn't believe this was the time to make a complete change in the organization.

"While our discussions will remain confidential, the decision I am making to keep our staff intact for 2020 has nothing to do with our victory on Sunday and everything to do with my positive meetings with Dave, Doug, the coordinators and our players, as well as my belief that this is not the time to consider an overhaul of our organization," he said.

"The 2019 season was unacceptable and I've made my dissatisfaction clear. While many unusual circumstances influenced our season, none can fully explain or defend our second-half collapse with first place in the division within reach on Week 9. At the same time, there were positive developments and contributions that should not be overlooked."

Caldwell and Marrone have two years remaining on the contract extensions they were given after the 2017 season.

That's an absolutely insane decision IMO. 

• Like 1

Adam Schefter -  Sam Wyche, the former Bengals and Bucs HC, died today from melanoma. He was 74. “Sam was a wonderful guy,” said Bengals’ president Mike Brown. “We not only liked him, we admired him as a man. He had a great generosity of spirit and lived his life trying to help others.”

• Like 1

A "Hey guys....remember me?" moment.......

Ian Rapoport -  Ex-Redskins coach Jay Gruden (13:00) tells RapSheet + Friends, "I’m itching to do something. … Hopefully I’ll get an opportunity to talk to some owners to be a head coach or I could take a year off…”