NFL News & Notes

Leader

24 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Does Frank Clark count if they traded Dee Ford during the same offseason? 

That depends.  Did the Chiefs acquire a player in a trade or did they not?

Non smartass answer: Yes, it counts.

Frank Clark had 5 sacks in the postseason including one in the Super Bowl.  He was a big reason the Chiefs came back against the Texans.

Frank Clark is a better player than Dee Ford.  

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

You really are that young, aren't you? Everyone knew Harris was good, he was just stuck behind Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent. There's a reason we gave up a 2nd round pick for him.

Granted.  That’s two players whose name you’d recognize since we traded for Brett Favre 3 decades ago.

The Chiefs, Patriots and Eagles (AKA the last three Super Bowl winners) have had more significant trades in the past 3 years than the Packers have had in the past 30.

Trading for talent is not a bad roster move.  Especially when we haven’t had a 2nd or 3rd round hit since Davante Adams (with the exception of Elgton Jenkins).

Between Jenkins and Adams, our best 2nd or 3rd round pick has been Kyler Facking Fackrell.  

2 hours ago, Lodestar said:

You really are that young, aren't you? Everyone knew Harris was good, he was just stuck behind Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent. There's a reason we gave up a 2nd round pick for him.

And Ahman Green was RB2 behind Ricky Watters and was the 76th overall pick of the '98 Draft.

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

94869-6661332Fr.jpg

Keith Jackson's Momma brought in 5 flapjacks...
 Keith said:  Momma take back 2 of them flapjacks
'cause I  gotta stay HUNGRY for the Crimson Tide

Quit responding with examples from two decades and 4 GMs ago.

15 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don’t like the way you responded because I’m not going through the trouble to respond to my own post and cut/paste so I’ll just give you another challenge:

Name any other position that moves from team to team as frequently as the WR position.

CB maybe? Although they’re pretty similar to WR as far as being “Divas” go. Is it a value issue, locker room issue, contract issue when these guys get traded?

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Yeah, it's better to talk about trends with a GM who's been only 2 years.

To Gute's credit, at least he's been open to the idea of acquiring veteran talent through trades and has been "in" on at least a few, notably the Mack deal. 

I'm serious when I say, I'm not sure if TT knew you were allowed to trade for veteran talent, whether before or during the season...

15 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Seriously, honest question, when was the last time the Packers have EVER traded for somebody whose name you could recognize?  Other than Kizer, I can’t think of a single example, and the only reason anyone recognized Kizer’s name was because of how bad he was.

Keith Jackson.  Loooooooong time ago.

Jacob Westendorf -  Sports book has released their O/U for win totals this year.

NFC North is:
Vikings 9
Bears 8.5
Packers 8.5
Lions 6.5

• Ross Uglem -   Wow. Even with regression to the mean, I feel very comfortable with Green Bay's over. They must have really liked Bryan Bulaga.

9 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

94869-6661332Fr.jpg

Keith Jackson's Momma brought in 5 flapjacks...
 Keith said:  Momma take back 2 of them flapjacks
'cause I  gotta stay HUNGRY for the Crimson Tide

Clear example of a trade putting a team over the top.  Didn't we give up like a second round pick for Jackson and Mark Ingram?

33 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Vegas is drunk. Right now, pre-draft I'd probably say: 

Packers 9

Bears 7.5

Lions 7.5

Vikings 6.5

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Jacob Westendorf -  Sports book has released their O/U for win totals this year.

NFC North is:
Vikings 9
Bears 8.5
Packers 8.5
Lions 6.5

• Ross Uglem -   Wow. Even with regression to the mean, I feel very comfortable with Green Bay's over. They must have really liked Bryan Bulaga.

Figure we had a differential of 9.5-6.5 last year, and we're going to take a minor hit at RT and ILB and a major hit at slot CB with what is likely a bottom 10 draft pick value addition. Throw in any residual belief in further Rodgers regression and I see how you get there. 

I don't agree with it, but I see how you draw that conclusion.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Figure we had a differential of 9.5-6.5 last year, and we're going to take a minor hit at RT and ILB and a major hit at slot CB with what is likely a bottom 10 draft pick value addition. Throw in any residual belief in further Rodgers regression and I see how you get there. 

I don't agree with it, but I see how you draw that conclusion.

I mean, I think the 8.5 for the Packers is fair. We were a few bounces from being a 9-10 team win last year. 

But the Vikings at 9? They've been gutted on defense and lost their best perimeter weapon in Diggs. I fear the Lions more than Minnesota right now and it might not be that close. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, I think the 8.5 for the Packers is fair. We were a few bounces from being a 9-10 team win last year. 

But the Vikings at 9? They've been gutted on defense and lost their best perimeter weapon in Diggs. I fear the Lions more than Minnesota right now and it might not be that close. 

The Vikings had an expected record last year of 10.7-5.3 based on their differential.