NFL News & Notes

Leader

What is the cutoff for touches/snaps for a RB that people feel they lose some tread or are heading for the cliff?   If Aaron Jones repeats his previous season he's a young 26 years old with only 686 carries over 4 seasons and an additional 133 receptions.   Add in the touches on plays that are called back for penalty and don't count in official stats, and add in all the collisions while asked to block.    Still, looking at that his age and he would only have had two years of full-time usage - he would seemed primed for a decent "non-CMC-but-higher-than-bargain-basement-fans-want contract (provided he can repeat 2019).

44 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Wouldn't $8m be a bargin?

Doubt we would even pay that. You really can't pay running backs big money, especially when you're paying a ton to your QB. I love Jones as a player and he's a great guy if you've ever had the chance to meet him. Always a training camp favorite. But you probably have to let him walk. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Doubt we would even pay that. You really can't pay running backs big money, especially when you're paying a ton to your QB. I love Jones as a player and he's a great guy if you've ever had the chance to meet him. Always a training camp favorite. But you probably have to let him walk. 

Yeah I wouldn't pay him more than that, it just seems to be on the low side if thats what his going rate is going to be which unfortunately it probably wont.

9 hours ago, smetana34 said:

What if Green Bay acted now and inked Jones to an extension? He's making peanuts right now. He'd likely take less annually for more security right now

Rumor has it that GB was working on an extension.  No doubt it is team friendly, but guarantees Jones much more money now as opposed to waiting it out to get paid.

I thought it was likely to be done, as Ekler was the last deal and they could work off of that.

But with Christian getting what he did, it probably moved that line a lot from the Ekler deal.

I'm getting prepared to see us trade Jones in the draft, then take a RB pretty high.  And that will upset me.  But...so would overpaying Jones.  And so would franchising Jones.  And so would letting him walk at the end of next year and getting a third.  Though the last one isn't that bad.

I could be swayed that trading him for a second, then using one of our first three picks (1, 2, 2) on a RB like Taylor or Swift is actually a good thing.  They are unknowns, but have a lot of upside.  Williams becomes the #1 RB to start...and while he's not spectacular like Jones, he is steady.  And the rookie would come in to offer some juice.

Just now, vegas492 said:

I'm getting prepared to see us trade Jones in the draft, then take a RB pretty high.  And that will upset me.  But...so would overpaying Jones.  And so would franchising Jones.  And so would letting him walk at the end of next year and getting a third.  Though the last one isn't that bad.

As much as I love Jones, I would love that.

All evidence points to LaFleur being able to get a lot of his backs. 

Aaron Jones wasn't the only running back with a career year last year. 

Jamaal Williams beat his yards per rush record by half a yard. 
His career best rush went 20 yards further than his previous high.
Had 12 more receptions this year than his previous career high.

And he had 5 receiving touchdowns.  More receiving touchdowns than Jones had. 

Aaron Jones is quite a bit quicker than Williams, but I don't think he's all that much better overall.  I don't see him falling off the face of the Earth if he gets paid, but I also don't see him as McCaffrey or Tomlinson or Bell or a back who is going to create without help or without the help of a scheme.  He's not worth anything near McCaffrey numbers.

When Ekeler signed, I said I'd be ecstatic if we could get Jones on that same deal.  I'd be okay with one more million per year just to not worry about it.  Anything more and you don't do it.  If we could get even a mid second round pick for Jones, you take that deal. 

Are you ready for this? 

Since 2009:

There have been 292 combined seasons from running backs drafted in the first three rounds. 
Of those 292 combined seasons, 148 had over 500 rushing yards.
80 had over 800 rushing yards.
51 had over 1,000 rushing yards.

46 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

As much as I love Jones, I would love that.

All evidence points to LaFleur being able to get a lot of his backs. 

Aaron Jones wasn't the only running back with a career year last year. 

Jamaal Williams beat his yards per rush record by half a yard. 
His career best rush went 20 yards further than his previous high.
Had 12 more receptions this year than his previous career high.

And he had 5 receiving touchdowns.  More receiving touchdowns than Jones had. 

Aaron Jones is quite a bit quicker than Williams, but I don't think he's all that much better overall.  I don't see him falling off the face of the Earth if he gets paid, but I also don't see him as McCaffrey or Tomlinson or Bell or a back who is going to create without help or without the help of a scheme.  He's not worth anything near McCaffrey numbers.

When Ekeler signed, I said I'd be ecstatic if we could get Jones on that same deal.  I'd be okay with one more million per year just to not worry about it.  Anything more and you don't do it.  If we could get even a mid second round pick for Jones, you take that deal. 

Are you ready for this? 

Since 2009:

There have been 292 combined seasons from running backs drafted in the first three rounds. 
Of those 292 combined seasons, 148 had over 500 rushing yards.
80 had over 800 rushing yards.
51 had over 1,000 rushing yards.

I could get excited about the possibility of taking a RB relatively high if we got a second for Jones.

Williams isn't exciting, Jones is.  Williams is very reliable and tough.  

Taylor or Swift would bring the explosive play ability.

Yah, I can get behind that.  A little reluctantly at first, though.  Pretty much because I feel like Jones worked his tail off to get to where he is at.  

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Same can be said about Kenny Clark, David Bakhtiari, and Bryan Bulaga.  One of which we already had to let go of because of cap restraints.  Don't pay RBs.

Jones had a Packer all time best single season for offensive production. Cant be said for the other players listed.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I could get excited about the possibility of taking a RB relatively high if we got a second for Jones.

Williams isn't exciting, Jones is.  Williams is very reliable and tough.  

Taylor or Swift would bring the explosive play ability.

Yah, I can get behind that.  A little reluctantly at first, though.  Pretty much because I feel like Jones worked his tail off to get to where he is at.  

I read that way to fast and was initially unsure what Taylor Swift would bring to the backfield.

• Like 3