NFL News & Notes

Leader

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Jones had a Packer all time best single season for offensive production. Cant be said for the other players listed.

Except two of those guys are directly responsible for the year Jones had

Edited by smetana34
  • Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

Jones had a Packer all time best single season for offensive production. Cant be said for the other players listed.

There are a couple counter argument points to this argument. 

1. How much did Bakhtiari and Bulaga contribute to Jones?  Just one example alone was posted here a while back with Bulaga providing an excellent block that sprung Jones for a long 20+ yard TD against the Cowboys.  This is the biggest argument of them all because it has been proven throughout the NFL.  Running backs can't run unless they've got players blocking for them.  You can directly attribute a running back's success to two things: First, their health.  Second, the state of their offensive lines.  All those monster seasons we've seen out of running backs didn't just happen to have great offensive lines. 

2. I posted a while ago a direct correlation between running backs with and without LaFleur.  Henry had a career boost with LaFleur.  Gurley had his best years as a pro with LaFleur on staff.  Coleman and Freeman both got big contracts and have shown nothing out of them thanks to the years LaFleur was on the staff. 

3. Jamaal Williams was no slouch at RB last year either.  He averaged only .3 less yards per carry and had 5 receiving touchdowns. 

None of this is to say that Jones is bad, but maybe to suggest that he's not as valuable relative to his potential replacement as someone like Bakhtiari. 

10 running backs in the NFL had more yards rushing than Jones.
7 other running backs had double digit rushing touchdowns.
14 other running backs had more yards per carry than Jones (with a minimum of 100 attempts)
13 other running backs had more receptions than Jones.
44 other running backs had a higher catch percentage than Jones with a minimum of 20 targets (although I think this one is on Rodgers)
11 running backs had more receiving touchdowns.

Now if you take that all into account and you start comparing the value of Jones to the value of Clark and Bakhtiari, let's say Aaron Jones is right there at 10th best running back in the league. 

Can you list 9 players better than Bakhtiari at LT?
Can you list 9 players better than Clark at IDL? 

Let's also consider that 10/10 (that's all 10) of the top running backs in yards this past year were under 26 years old.
9/10 in 2018 were under 26 years old (with the sole outlier being a **** old Adrian Peterson.
7/10 in 2017 (Spiller 26, McCoy 29, Ingram 28)
7/10 in 2016 (Murray/Mccoy 28, Blount 30)

So in the past 4 years, 33/40 (83%) of the league's leading rushers were under 26 years old.

And Jones turns 26. 

I keep going back and forth on this myself, but I'd rather trade Jones than re-sign Jones. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm getting prepared to see us trade Jones in the draft, then take a RB pretty high.  And that will upset me.  But...so would overpaying Jones.  And so would franchising Jones.  And so would letting him walk at the end of next year and getting a third.  Though the last one isn't that bad.

I could be swayed that trading him for a second, then using one of our first three picks (1, 2, 2) on a RB like Taylor or Swift is actually a good thing.  They are unknowns, but have a lot of upside.  Williams becomes the #1 RB to start...and while he's not spectacular like Jones, he is steady.  And the rookie would come in to offer some juice.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse on this one. 

On the other hand, if that situation actually occurred, I'd rather take Dobbins; we're already tied to Dobbins and I think Swift goes right before our first round pick while I'm not sure Taylor really fits our system. He's not natural pass-catcher either...

43 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think you're putting the cart before the horse on this one. 

On the other hand, if that situation actually occurred, I'd rather take Dobbins; we're already tied to Dobbins and I think Swift goes right before our first round pick while I'm not sure Taylor really fits our system. He's not natural pass-catcher either...

Tis why I said a running back "like" Taylor or Swift.  Not taking either Taylor or Swift.  It's the little things.  ...like this clip.  Apologies for those that click as Booger does some talking.

Edited by vegas492

53 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Tis why I said a running back "like" Taylor or Swift.  Not taking either Taylor or Swift.  It's the little things.

Right,  I just don't think we trade Aaron away and I don't think Taylor/Swift would work out for us; Aaron's not perfect, but his best years are ahead of him and, again, Taylor's hands are much more questionable while Swift will probably be off the board.

My god... how many teams are redoing their jerseys this offseason?

and all of them are just going back to their original ones.

- falcons

- bucs

- browns

- Rams

and both the rams and colts did new logos.

This is well above average for a typical offseason. Something in the merchandise contracts for 2020? Like it’s crazy.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Rumor of OBJ going to the Vikings would make my entire offseason fantastic.

He would be better for the Packers as a Viking than a Packer and would completely destroy that team from within.

He would also make them better on the field versus having Tajae Sharpe out there. I'm fine not buying O'dell but I don't want him going to the NFC.