NFL News & Notes

Leader

Field Yates -  Some perspective on the team's that will have their work cut out for them this offseason with the current highest cap commitments for 2021:

1. Saints: ~$259M
2. Eagles: ~$252M
3. Steelers: $216M
4. Packers: ~$212M
5. Falcons: ~$206M

Adam Schefter -   During trade talks to try to acquire Matthew Stafford, the Carolina Panthers made a serious offer to the Lions of their eighth overall pick, a fifth-round pick and quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, per league sources. Detroit opted to take the Rams offer. Carolina still looking.

• Andrew Brandt -   And, it seems, not interested in Carson Wentz.

///

I think Wentz it going to surprise some folks. I think he's far from done. Is he worth his contract? Dont know / dont care. GBs not paying it.  Rather - he's like 95% of NFL QBs: they need a functional OL in front of them to succeed.

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -   During trade talks to try to acquire Matthew Stafford, the Carolina Panthers made a serious offer to the Lions of their eighth overall pick, a fifth-round pick and quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, per league sources. Detroit opted to take the Rams offer. Carolina still looking.

• Andrew Brandt -   And, it seems, not interested in Carson Wentz.

///

I think Wentz it going to surprise some folks. I think he's far from done. Is he worth his contract? Dont know / dont care. GBs not paying it.  Rather - he's like 95% of NFL QBs: they need a functional OL in front of them to succeed.

Detroit probably really believes in Goff.  I would have rather had #8.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Not as good as we wanted. Was hoping it would end up closer to $185-$190m. 

Puts us around $30m over.

Spotrac has us at about 22 over.  That is without accounting for any draft picks.  Releasing Preston, Kirksey, and Wagner would recoup about 17 of that.  

What I think this unfortunately means is that we have to get UDFA min guys instead of keeping our established role players like:  Jamaal Williams, Marcedes Lewis, Tyler Ervin, Tyler Lancaster, etc. who we would normally keep.  Is Innis Gaines better than Will Redmond?  We are about to find out.

Matt Verderame -    Per source, the Arizona Cardinals and former All-Pro cornerback Patrick Peterson are parting ways barring a significant change in stances. Peterson, 30, has enjoyed eight Pro Bowl and three First-Team All-Pro campaigns since being selected No. 5 overall in the 2011 Draft.

• Ross Uglem -   Better be for about 12 bucks. 67% completions allowed both of the last two season with passer ratings against over 100. 12 penalties last year. Not saying he's cooked, but he might be cooked.

Edited by Leader

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Matt Verderame -    Per source, the Arizona Cardinals and former All-Pro cornerback Patrick Peterson are parting ways barring a significant change in stances. Peterson, 30, has enjoyed eight Pro Bowl and three First-Team All-Pro campaigns since being selected No. 5 overall in the 2011 Draft.

• Ross Uglem -   Better be for about 12 bucks. 67% completions allowed both of the last two season with passer ratings against over 100. 12 penalties last year. Not saying he's cooked, but he might be cooked.

Unless he’s interested in returning punts for the league minimum no thanks 

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

He's not cooked. Just need a change of scenery. Look what Woodson did after turning 30. We can't dismiss players once they reach that age, not with improved nutrition, fitness and technology extending careers. It may have been true 20 years ago but not now. Sportsmen like Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Federer, Nadal all played at a high level after their 30s. Look at what Brady did after turning 40!

Some of the players on Tampa defence, look at their ages, Suh (34), JPP (32), David (31).

1 minute ago, Chili said:

He's not cooked. Just need a change of scenery. Look what Woodson did after turning 30. We can't dismiss players once they reach that age, not with improved nutrition, fitness and technology extending careers. It may have been true 20 years ago but not now. Sportsmen like Messi, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Federer, Nadal all played at a high level after their 30s. Look at what Brady did after turning 40!

Some of the players on Tampa defence, look at their ages, Suh (34), JPP (32), David (31).

Agree with the concept generally.....and before I read Uglem's comment my thoughts ran along the "we cant afford him" lines.

But - after reading Uglem's comment - somebodies gonna have to put some context to these stats :

67% completions allowed both of the last two season with passer ratings against over 100.
12 penalties last year.

And convince me he's league average at worst - and that a change of scenery would bring out his former greatness.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Agree with the concept generally.....and before I read Uglem's comment my thoughts ran along the "we cant afford him" lines.

But - after reading Uglem's comment - somebodies gonna have to put some context to these stats :

67% completions allowed both of the last two season with passer ratings against over 100.
12 penalties last year.

And convince me he's league average at worst - and that a change of scenery would bring out his former greatness.

If you put Peterson on our team, he pairs with Jaire.  And if we actually move Jaire around, that puts Peterson on their second best WR, most of the time.

He would be outstanding.  Upgrade from King for sure.

We need to kick those tires, and see if he will play for the vets minimum.

• Like 1