NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I think your post had too many What If's!!!

Reality is P.Smith is costing us $16m next season and that is 8.48% of the Cap. His production was 4 sacks, 7 TFL and 11 QB hits.

D Line is a weakness. JJ Watt in 2020 had 5 sacks, 14 TFL and 17 QB hits.

Cutting P.Smith saves us $8m, if you spend that $8 on Watt that is a better use of capital across the roster.

We'll agree to disagree there. Preston has missed 0 games the last five years, Watt has missed 32, or about 6 per year. I'll try and negotiate a re-structure and keep Preston and toss a couple mil offer at Watt. I'm not going to cut a sure thing for a guy who might last all of a few games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

So we've cut Preston, now we're an injury away from Garvin starting, or we have to use a top pick on an EDGE. We probably lose King, so we're at Josh Jackson starting and used decent sized money on Watt so we really need a high draft pick at CB as we can't afford to sign one. We've lost Jones and probably Williams, don't really have any high picks left to replace guys in that room, so we're an injury away from calling up TyMon to see what's left in the tank there.

Cutting Preston and paying JJ just doesn't make sense. There's going to be ring chasers this year in the vet class, guys who sign for a year at 2,3,4 mil to chase a ring. There's not many good teams that have cap space, so title chasers won't have a choice but to bite the bullet and sign cheap.

If Watt's one of those guys, great I hope he's a Packer. If he's looking for a long-term deal for 8m+, good luck elsewhere, I'll just move on to the next vet.

This will be and NBA style offseason. We've got our LeBron, who wants to sign for dirt cheap to chase a ring with him? You just keep making calls until you hear "yes."

I view Watt as someone who will take Preston's snaps.  His line of scrimmage snaps, not his coverage snaps.  So in this hypothetical world, Garvin is still EDGE #4.

Nothing was said about losing King.  

Nothing was said about Jones or Williams.

All my post said was that, in my math, I could free up about $49M by working with a few guys and releasing Preston and Kirksey.

Said nothing about what it would cost to sign JJ.  I'm assuming something like $5-7M with some heavy incentives on top of that.  Take the remaining money and do what you please.  Be it free agency, or bringing back guys like Jones or Lindsley.

Guess I'm in the camp of believing folks close to JJ who tell me that he wants to chase a ring and that money is not overly important.  I've also been told he's watching the Watson saga very close, like if he goes to San Fran, JJ may follow.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We'll agree to disagree there. Preston has missed 0 games the last five years, Watt has missed 32, or about 6 per year. I'll try and negotiate a re-structure and keep Preston and toss a couple mil offer at Watt. I'm not going to cut a sure thing for a guy who might last all of a few games.

For me, it's close. Preston is younger and could rebound. He's also more expensive and last year, statistically was an anomaly for Preston, not the norm over his career. Watt's production has dipped recently and he's got the injury history, but if you're going with a Peppers-type move, Watt could be just that. 

Some other intangibles here. Watt probably brings some extra energy, on and off the field, as well as leadership and that Preston doesn't provide. You hear 12 talk about Peppers' off-the-field influence all the time. Watt brings that variable. On the other hand, Preston looked like he came into this year a bit sluggish, got off to a terrible start, and got better later on, but never reached his 2019 level of play. Frankly, his motor wasn't there a lot of the times. 

Finally, we have to factor in playing time. Assuming Watt is healthy, his opportunity is simply going to be a lot higher than Preston's who, even if he stays, will become that No. 3 guy. We can't keep Gary on the bench for over 50% of the snaps anymore. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Way too many what ifs there. 2019 Preston Smith is better than JJ Watt of the last couple years, Id rather he regain that form.

Key words ... regain that form.  Why did Smith regress so much?  2019 maybe, 2020 I'd take Watt in a heartbeat.  Paying that much on a hope and a prayer he regains that swag, not so sure.

36 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Key words ... regain that form.  Why did Smith regress so much?  2019 maybe, 2020 I'd take Watt in a heartbeat.  Paying that much on a hope and a prayer he regains that swag, not so sure.

We'd be hoping for a player to regain their form with either player.  It's been a long long time since JJ Watt was a difference maker for a defense.  

Smith's career is goofy.  He's never put up back to back good years but he's also never put up back to back bad years.  He seems to have a career year every other year.  IMO stopping putting him back in coverage so much will go a long way to help him regain the form we seen in 2019.

I'd love to have Watt but I'm not sure I'm cutting the younger more versatile player to get him.  I think Preston has the higher upside of the 2 players given Watt's age and scary injury history.  I don't love the idea of paying him his current salary but I  think this defense is better with him than it is without him.  This is all a wasted conversation if we aren't able to get Adams, Rodgers and Z to extend/ restructure.  Right now, we can't afford either Preston or Watt.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

The redistribution of cap space from OLB #3 to DL is a must. Who that player is an another discussion, whether it is JJ Watt or Dalvin Tomlinson or someone else, it just needs to happen

The NFL is about the subpackage now. #2 DL is not needed there, #3 EDGE is. Therefore we don't need to redistribute money there.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The NFL is about the subpackage now. #2 DL is not needed there, #3 EDGE is. Therefore we don't need to redistribute money there.

Tell that to San Fran if we make the playoffs against them next year:) Our sub is easy to run on, sorry I mean we are easy to run on. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Run plugs are cheap. Not saying we don't need one, but we don't need to cut a pass rusher to add one.

I hear ya Ray, was just lol'g at that. I have been reading the buzz in the thread. Some tough calls to be made this offseason that's for sure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Dean Lowry 602 snaps
Kenny Clark 597 snaps
Kinsley Keke 416 snaps
Tyler Lancaster 353 snaps

1100 snaps on defence. Give me a DL that takes Lowry snaps or/and some of Lancaster's.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Wasn't there talk about him talking to Allen Robinson about coming to Green Bay?

I watched him talking pretty candidly with him after the last game, have no idea what was said but I imagine he was letting him know how good he's been despite never having a starting caliber QB throwing to him.  Megatron said 12 would "jokingly" tell him to come on over across the pond a few times.

Anyway, that's not his job.  Any offensive player should see it as obvious that he would elevate their stats.  Gute needs to sell it and make it work.  I like the in season role player pick ups we've had so far but if we could get the caliber of Fournette and AB on bargain rentals for example, it would be a nightmare for other teams.

4 hours ago, SSG said:

We'd be hoping for a player to regain their form with either player.  It's been a long long time since JJ Watt was a difference maker for a defense.  

Smith's career is goofy.  He's never put up back to back good years but he's also never put up back to back bad years.  He seems to have a career year every other year.  IMO stopping putting him back in coverage so much will go a long way to help him regain the form we seen in 2019.

I'd love to have Watt but I'm not sure I'm cutting the younger more versatile player to get him.  I think Preston has the higher upside of the 2 players given Watt's age and scary injury history.  I don't love the idea of paying him his current salary but I  think this defense is better with him than it is without him.  This is all a wasted conversation if we aren't able to get Adams, Rodgers and Z to extend/ restructure.  Right now, we can't afford either Preston or Watt.

More than likely that's correct.  Smith just didn't "do" $16,000,000 worth of work this year.  Not so sure replacing him is the key  but if he doesn't restructure his contract ... way to much to pay.