NFL News & Notes

Leader

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Comp pick? You'd let him walk for a 3rd in 2023? No way I'd do that. I'd franchise tag him and then trade him. You'd get a quicker ROI and a better pick than a 3rd. 

Tag and trades aren't really a thing anymore.

Edit: I realize they happen, but the value isn't good and it has some cap complications.

Edited by spilltray
Clarification

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Comp pick? You'd let him walk for a 3rd in 2023? No way I'd do that. I'd franchise tag him and then trade him. You'd get a quicker ROI and a better pick than a 3rd. 

The problem is the cap space. GB cap space will be very tight in 2022. His tag would probably be like $20m. To fit that, GB will have to do something with Rodgers. Or restructure Bak/Clark, cut P.Smith/Lowry/Turner, and extend/cut Z.Smith & Amos. And wave goodbye to Tonyan. 

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

The problem is the cap space. GB cap space will be very tight in 2022. His tag would probably be like $20m. To fit that, GB will have to do something with Rodgers. Or restructure Bak/Clark, cut P.Smith/Lowry/Turner, and extend/cut Z.Smith & Amos. And wave goodbye to Tonyan. 

They could do those things and will probably have to do many of them anyway. Also, it wouldn't take too long to get a trade partner for Adams for more than a 2023 - 3rd round pick. You don't give up a top 5 WR, on his worst day, for a future 3rd. Once traded, all of the hypothetical 20 million comes off the books as well. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Tag and trades aren't really a thing anymore.

Edit: I realize they happen, but the value isn't good and it has some cap complications.

Do you think it would take long to get more than a 2023 - 3rd round pick for Adams? Come on, the cap complications can we worked out. 

26 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Do you think it would take long to get more than a 2023 - 3rd round pick for Adams? Come on, the cap complications can we worked out. 

Not happening. It doesn't matter if it takes 10 minutes to do, he would need to be under the tag to be traded and the cap space cannot realistically be made. Plus I doubt the Packers would do it anyways, mainly because I doubt any team is giving up draft capital to sign a WR to a mega deal. 

RB's and WR's are a dime a dozen and easily replaced, don't think MLF thinks Adams is that important to his offense either. More a fan thing. 

53 minutes ago, R T said:

Not happening. It doesn't matter if it takes 10 minutes to do, he would need to be under the tag to be traded and the cap space cannot realistically be made. Plus I doubt the Packers would do it anyways, mainly because I doubt any team is giving up draft capital to sign a WR to a mega deal. 

RB's and WR's are a dime a dozen and easily replaced, don't think MLF thinks Adams is that important to his offense either. More a fan thing. 

Did Dallas not give up a 1st for Amari Cooper? Did Buffalo not give up a lot more than a 1st for Diggs? Then restructured his deal this year already? I guess the Julio Jones thing didn't just happen. I'll bet he's getting a new deal before TC. 

The idea we couldn't make this happen is a bit mind boggling to me. Oh well, to each their own.

Have a great day!  

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Did Dallas not give up a 1st for Amari Cooper? Did Buffalo not give up a lot more than a 1st for Diggs? Then restructured his deal this year already? I guess the Julio Jones thing didn't just happen. I'll bet he's getting a new deal before TC. 

The idea we couldn't make this happen is a bit mind boggling to me. Oh well, to each their own.

Have a great day!  

None of those players were tagged and traded. Their signing bonuses were already paid. Plus 2/3 were much younger.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, spilltray said:

None of those players were tagged and traded. Their signing bonuses were already paid. Plus 2/3 were much younger.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Davante's worth. I'll say it a heck of a lot more than a 3rd round comp pick. If that is the intention you trade him now. 

Great WR's are not a dime a dozen. Good ones, maybe but not great. 

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Have a great day!  

It is silly of me to wade into this conversation ,because it really is a pointless one. 

There is context to every trade. Start with a Pat Kirwan quote, "teams trade for a contract, a player just happens to come along with the deal". 

When Dallas traded for Cooper he still had two years on his rookie deal and cost the Cowboys 700K in the first year. Diggs had signed a 5/72M deal the year before with the Vikings and the Vikings had already paid over 28M of that in signing bonus and salary. The Bills were trading for Diggs and roughly a 4/44M contract when they gave up a 1st, that is a bargain deal for them. His restructure added no new money, only salary moved to bonus for cap relief. 

That is a big difference from paying Adams a new deal of 25M+ a season and a large signing bonus and give up draft capital to do it. 

Not happening, but also really not worth debating much either.    

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Old Guy said:

They could do those things and will probably have to do many of them anyway. Also, it wouldn't take too long to get a trade partner for Adams for more than a 2023 - 3rd round pick. You don't give up a top 5 WR, on his worst day, for a future 3rd. Once traded, all of the hypothetical 20 million comes off the books as well. 

Doesn't really matter how long it takes if you can't get the requisite space. I realize the $20m would go off the books. 

Moves that will probably happen regardless of scenario:

*cuts of P.Smith/Lowry/Turner (not going to cause heartache)

*extend Alexander (expected)

*restructure 1 of either Clark or Bakhtiari (now we're getting to the difficult choices)

Moves that will need to be added to the above to accommodate Adams' contract, even if only for a millisecond:

*restructure whoever didn't get restructured above (so both Bak & Clark)

*Extend/cut Z.Smith

So you are taking some serious dice rolls on guys that are getting long in the tooth. Both Clark and Bak already have been restructured once and doing so again will basically be locking them on the roster for a good while, with no easy outs in case of injury/decline. w/ Z.Smith, you'd be giving a 30yr old a 3rd contract, which always has some risk. Or opening up a hole at starting EDG. There would have to be some high trade returns to make it worth all that. 

8 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Doesn't really matter how long it takes if you can't get the requisite space. I realize the $20m would go off the books. 

Moves that will probably happen regardless of scenario:

*cuts of P.Smith/Lowry/Turner (not going to cause heartache)

*extend Alexander (expected)

*restructure 1 of either Clark or Bakhtiari (now we're getting to the difficult choices)

Moves that will need to be added to the above to accommodate Adams' contract, even if only for a millisecond:

*restructure whoever didn't get restructured above (so both Bak & Clark)

*Extend/cut Z.Smith

So you are taking some serious dice rolls on guys that are getting long in the tooth. Both Clark and Bak already have been restructured once and doing so again will basically be locking them on the roster for a good while, with no easy outs in case of injury/decline. w/ Z.Smith, you'd be giving a 30yr old a 3rd contract, which always has some risk. Or opening up a hole at starting EDG. There would have to be some high trade returns to make it worth all that. 

This whole premise was based on us trading Rodgers, you seem to have forgotten the cap relief we'd get from that move as well. We'd be able to do this. 

19 hours ago, Old Guy said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on Davante's worth. I'll say it a heck of a lot more than a 3rd round comp pick. If that is the intention you trade him now. 

Great WR's are not a dime a dozen. Good ones, maybe but not great. 

If Adams had three years remaining on a deal at a relatively cap friendly # I think he'd bring a 1st in return.  With only one year left on his deal I don't think you can get that.

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If Adams had three years remaining on a deal at a relatively cap friendly # I think he'd bring a 1st in return.  With only one year left on his deal I don't think you can get that.

I don't believe I stated we'd get a first, but think it is very possible. What I stated is we could do better than a 3rd round comp pick in 2023. BTW, Davante is only 28 years old. He's still got a lot left in the tank. 

Guess I feel that there will always be teams out there that overvalue the WR position.  Find one with cap space and I feel 'Vante is worth at least a first and a third.  For the acquiring team, they would have him for this season and a potential franchise tag year at least, if they cannot work out a long term deal.