NFL News & Notes

Leader

If you look at how many millions have been vaccinated and how few serious reactions there have been, the vaccines as a whole have been wildly, ridiculously successful. In the UK there is currently a mini-surge of the Delta (Indian) variant in a few places - and who is catching covid in these hotspots ? Almost all are those who chose not to get vaccinated, and those below the ages that have been offered the vaccine (under 30's). The under 30's rollout is underway now.

The takeup of the vaccine in the UK is the highest in the world, I believe, and the possible cosequences of a bad covid reaction (long covid, etc) is so nasty, I felt entirely comfortable having the two doses (the second one for me was May 1st). 

I don't like having injections, not for fear of a needle (I used to be a blood donor), but because it bypasses all your natural defenses straight into the bloodstream. Nevertheless it is a balance of risk, so I had the vaccinations (Pfizer, in my case).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

There's simply no reason beyond own selfishness and ignorance to not take the vaccine. They are the most studied vaccines by a large margin and their risks (or more their lack of thereof in mRNA ones) have been thoroughly investigated. By not taking the vaccines you are putting yourself and everyone else around you in danger not only by getting infected now and the ones near you, but also by allowing the virus to mutate into more dangerous variants. Millions of people have died and those that do not get the vaccine will provoke even more deaths.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If you look at how many millions have been vaccinated and how few serious reactions there have been, the vaccines as a whole have been wildly, ridiculously successful. In the UK there is currently a mini-surge of the Delta (Indian) variant in a few places - and who is catching covid in these hotspots ? Almost all are those who chose not to get vaccinated, and those below the ages that have been offered the vaccine (under 30's). The under 30's rollout is underway now.

The takeup of the vaccine in the UK is the highest in the world, I believe, and the possible cosequences of a bad covid reaction (long covid, etc) is so nasty, I felt entirely comfortable having the two doses (the second one for me was May 1st). 

I don't like having injections, not for fear of a needle (I used to be a blood donor), but because it bypasses all your natural defenses straight into the bloodstream. Nevertheless it is a balance of risk, so I had the vaccinations (Pfizer, in my case).

I'm a nurse in an emergency room so I was able to get the vaccine back in January. Got the two doses of Moderna, and outside of some arm soreness with the second shot I really had no issues. At first I wasn't going to get it, because I had the "**** it" mentality that I was already thrown into the fire with limited PPE, resources, education and so fourth. That being said me and another guy I work with were talking about it and decided what the hell lets ask our pharmacists with their smart brains and see what they think. They couldn't have been more convinced in the science and the importance of doing it. Showed us the studies they have read and so fourth. I don't know why I am rambling all this, but I am glad I used resources and actually looked into the science. I was given a great opportunity to protect myself and my family and I'm glad I took it. I did however lose out on the raffle to go to the super bowl, but as many of you here can imagine, I wasn't too pumped about watching it anyways. I think it's important to do your part. I almost let anger and bs keep me from making a good decision. I wont judge those that don't vaccinate as bad people, just wanted to share that I think it is good to look into it. I think you can trust the science. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Leader said:

Watson says he wants to be traded to Denver.

LOL. Those Denver / Green Bay trade scenarios may all go Houston's way..........

I'm not sure a GM in the league would touch Watson until his legal troubles are cleared up. It doesn't seem good for Watson either. 

Houston is dumb, but are they dumb enough to trade him now. His value in his present situation has got to be at it's lowest point. 

17 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Eh.  I feel exactly the same way.  Not being political here, just talking about vaccinations that go into my body.  I'm not comfortable getting the shot(s) yet, and I haven't had COVID, while being in close contact with a few people who have.

Now...if my employer, or my employer's private equity firm said I had to get the shot?  Yah, I'd be getting it quickly.  And I don't make Montez Sweat money.

What would you need to see to be comfortable with the shot that you haven't already seen?

This is hardly new biology/immunology. Monoclonal antibody combinations (like the Bamlanivimab/etesevimab used in the Covid vaccines) have been used to recognize and attack the bonding/spike protein of envelope viruses like Covid-19 for decades. The vaccine doesn't attack the actual genome of the virus, it attacks the means in which the virus bonds to other cells in order to spread.

If the concern is about the effectiveness of the vaccine and potential side effects, there have been basically none. The testing for these have been beyond anything seen in medical history.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If the concern is about the effectiveness of the vaccine and potential side effects, there have been basically none. The testing for these have been beyond anything seen in medical history.

How dare you!?  I died, three times, since I had the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What would you need to see to be comfortable with the shot that you haven't already seen?

This is hardly new biology/immunology. Monoclonal antibody combinations (like the Bamlanivimab/etesevimab used in the Covid vaccines) have been used to recognize and attack the bonding/spike protein of envelope viruses like Covid-19 for decades. The vaccine doesn't attack the actual genome of the virus, it attacks the means in which the virus bonds to other cells in order to spread.

Easy answer.  Time.  And that's it for me.  There are side effects for some people.  I have two close friends who both had significant side effects.

I'm not against the vaccine.  Not at all.  I'm just not ready to take it at this time.  And that could very well change in the near future as I do have a very important event in July that I will need to be vaccinated for in order to attend.

17 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Is Pfizer that single shot, or the two shot vaccine?