(Poll) Predict the QB John Dorsey Wants at Number 1

Mind Character

(Poll) Which QB Does John Dorsey Want at Number 1?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. (Poll) Which QB Does John Dorsey Want at Number 1?

John Dorsey will draft Baker Mayfield number 1 overall. Book it. I'd put a lot of money on it.

Dorsey has experience with evaluating and liking QBs of all varieties and will likely value Mayfield's energy and tough mentality in such a way as to override possible negative beliefs regarding his size and stature.

There's also some buzz from Oklahoma's athletic staff that Baker will measure in just under 6 ft. 1 inches during Senior Bowl weigh-ins and will be a lot taller than people/scouts expected  (not that I think it matters in Dorsey's case).

Tony Pauline elaborated that Dorsey told him that "Rosen is not a guy he'd want leading the franchise as players won't naturally gravitate around him..."

In Dorsey's words, a snapshot he wants....

• "Natural leader...do guys come to them...do guys gravitate to him..."
  • "Have to have good feet..."
  • "Can he extend the play
  • "Can he drive it at the end of the game and win it..."
  • "How does he respond to adversity..."

There's a ton of other things that Dorsey has stated publicly about what he wants out of the QB position. Beyond his public comments, his scouting training and experience with QBs in the league has shaped the archetype of a QB he desires.

Everyone is focusing on Josh Allen right now, but I believe Baker Mayfield is the apple of Dorsey's eye as he likely projects onto Mayfield a lot of Favre-like qualities and loves Baker's on-field leadership intangibles.

Now you're just being inflammatory. If they pass on Darnold or Rosen at 1, I'll be LIVID.

If they pass on both of those AND draft Mayfield at 1 when he could be had at #4 for certain, I may throw a brick through my television. I certainly won't be needing it on Sundays anymore anyway.

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

John Dorsey will draft Baker Mayfield number 1 overall. Book it. I'd put a lot of money on it.

Mind Character is making another guarantee so his reverse mojo means we will "NOT" be picking Baker Mayfield #1 overall. 

I have no idea who Dorsey is going to pick.  I can only HOPE that he picks Sam Darnold.

Peace!!!

I also believe it is Darnold, but I don't think that it's locked at this moment.  I am curious to see how Mayfield and Allen do at the Senior Bowl.  Remember, it was the Senior Bowl where Wentz showed he wasn't just a Div 1A player.  

I agree with Mind that Dorsey seems to favor "mental toughness" and a "leader" to take over at the position.  Mayfield is all that.  I was definitely in the "he is too short" camp, but I think that may be a tad overrated.  It's  not just Brees and Wilson that are excellent QB's, who happen to be short.  Case Keenum is also in that category, and he has been excellent this year.

I just want them to evaluate EVERYTHING and come away with the best prospect.

Blood pressure and pulse okay. Not picking up any bricks to throw at tv. Why?

Because Ray Farmer or Sashi Brown are not in charge this year. The best truth is that real competent evaluators and scouts are, especially Alonzo Highsmith and Dorsey. We are no longer setting sail on Lake Erie in a cardboard box expecting to reach the other side intact. I will enjoy the process and expect good results, as long as Hue is not making the decisions  

Whoever is best should be chosen. If that is not true, then it is time to follow professional bowling. 

4 hours ago, HH650 said:

Blood pressure and pulse okay. Not picking up any bricks to throw at tv. Why?

Because Ray Farmer or Sashi Brown are not in charge this year. The best truth is that real competent evaluators and scouts are, especially Alonzo Highsmith and Dorsey. We are no longer setting sail on Lake Erie in a cardboard box expecting to reach the other side intact.

I mean, Farmer stunk, but so far our last two drafts have outpaced GB's average draft the last five or six years for amount of talent added. Now that's taking some optimistic views, but still... Don't let the old boy's club tell you who is and isn't good at evaluating talent. Results should speak on that, not chummy media members.

I have high hopes for Dorsey/Wolf/Highsmith, but let's not go crowning them. FO guys thinking they're smarter than everyone else is how we've been what we've been for so long. Gotta evaluate on tangible results rather than, "the league thinks he's great!" because the league thought Michael Lombardi was a great GM, and "league sources" said Farmer got promoted so he wouldn't be hired out from under us by another team. It astounds me how much we believe what other people in the league say about who should run their competition, no wonder only a handful of teams haven't had insane turnover the last few years.

5 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

At this point I'm really just #TeamGodNoPleaseNotAllen. Any of the other four will be a relief to me at this point.

Yep I’m on that team as well. Allen is going to be a bad pro QB. His accuracy is just terrible. I see a mid round prospect 

16 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Yep I’m on that team as well. Allen is going to be a bad pro QB. His accuracy is just terrible. I see a mid round prospect 

Agreed. I absolutely see the potential! But he is a LONG way from getting there and there's no way to know if he ever will. He's a lottery ticket compared to the other top five.

Also, I finally figured out who Allen reminds me of. Logan Thomas. Huge kid, great running ability, cannon arm, makes "WOW!" plays like no one else in the class, just not very accurate.

If we are talking about Lamar Jackson having to move to WR, I think we should have the Josh Allen to TE conversation (see:Thomas, Logan).

Even allowing that Allen has the most upside in the class (I disagree, I think upside is way more the physical tools, see Brady, Tom), his risk makes him a worse pick than the other top guys.

Let's say Allen has the ceiling to be 10% better than Darnold, and 15% better than Rosen. So their ceilings are Allen - 115, Darnold 105, Rosen 100 (I don't believe these, I'm arguing a hypothetical).

But Allen is far, far riskier. He's shown less, he played against worse competition (why does Mayfield get crucified for murdering the BIG12 but Allen gets a pass for being bad against the Mountain West?), and he was less accurate overall. So let's say Allen has a 50% chance of hitting his potential (generous considering the history of QBS). Let's say Darnold has a 70% chance, and Rosen an 80% chance (I'm assigning arbitrary #'s but I think on their film so far this is the order), now let's do the math.

50% of 115 is 57.5

70% of 105 is 73.5

80% of 100 is 80

All of this is a silly mathematical way of saying that I think I value much more someone's realistic ceiling based on what they've done so far, rather than their hypothetical ceiling based on their physical tools.

Archived