Eagles vs Patriots SBLII GDT

Nabbs4u

16 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Patriots fans (not on here really) are already getting on my nerves.

I have seen the Patriots lose numerous heartbreakers (and fortunate enough to have seen them win numerous close games), I've never really made excuses (except I am a still a lil salty about that gronk call against the panthers for some reason)

Line is 4.5 because Pats Sb's end up close. 

So its very likely that Pats win by 1, 2, 3 or 4, all within the spread. 

I personally can't see the Eagles winning. I though the Seahawks could win. I thought the Falcons could win. But  after what happened last year I just cannot imagine any other result now. Apart from against the Giants, the ball just bounces the right way for the Patriots in SB games and no matter how well the Eagles play I will be absolutely shocked if I the trophy is anywhere other than Boston on Tuesday. 

14 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

So the Eagles are your favorites, but you expect them to lose O.o

I am confused.

Those are two different things. 

The probably of an event and the result of said event can be two different things. 

6 hours ago, RollEagles said:

j1Zxuh8.jpg

If you Google "Eagles Patriots predictions the first page seems primed for an eagles upset.

Also I googled a couple of the names and couldn't find any of the predictions.

"Mike Golic super bowl prediction"

"Jarrett Bell super bowl prediction"

"Jonathan Jones super bowl prediction" turned up nothing. 

Can anyone confirm these picks not from some local eagles site? Oh and preseason picks for the pats to win font count as a prediction to beat the eagles.

Just now, kramxel said:

Those are two different things. 

The probably of an event and the result of said event can be two different things. 

Ok, then what does favorite to win mean?

If you think the Pats are going to win(regardless of logic/reasoning) wouldn't they be your favorite to win? Maybe you think the Eagles are a better team, but you expect the Pats to win, that makes sense. If you said the Pats were the perceived favorite(by the media and general fan), but you thought the Eagles were going to win that would make sense.

Basically, it is semantics in a way, but your favorite to win should be the team you believe are going to win, no?

I am pretty sure this is a first for SI:

NICK FOLES UNDERDOG WIN!!! YAY! (big picture of him taking a snap)

fine print at the top right  He's getting his butt kicked 27-16 because we still don't believe in him. (with a picture of Brady above Foles)

They take a jab at the cover athlete they are featuring ON THE COVER!

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I am pretty sure this is a first for SI:

NICK FOLES UNDERDOG WIN!!! YAY! (big picture of him taking a snap)

fine print at the top right  He's getting his butt kicked 27-16 because we still don't believe in him. (with a picture of Brady above Foles)

They take a jab at the cover athlete they are featuring ON THE COVER!

Not on si.com. Do people still get the magazine?

Everyone knows the line has nothing to do with the actual game, right? It is where Vegas thinks they can get close to 50/50 betting on the teams. The line moving up or down 2 points is not going to change the outcome on the field. Even if the line were somehow accurate, it means something like New England would win 56 games if they played 100.

Vegas was not predicting the Falcons or the Vikings to beat Philly. They were not predicting the Patriots would beat the Titans by exactly 13.5 and the Jags by exactly 7.5. Those outcomes are impossible. They were predicting how the general public would bet.

The last time Vegas 'picked' the correct winner and the spread was within 2 points of the outcome was Rams - Titans in 1999 (Jan 2000)

The underdog has won the Super Bowl outright in 7 of the last 10 games. (Giants x2, Broncos, Seahawks, Ravens, Saints, Patriots)

The underdog has won 4 of Brady's 7 Super Bowls.

The Patriots are 1-4 against the spread as favorites with Brady. The 1 cover was last years OT game.

5 hours ago, lancerman said:
5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

^^ Yes they are. If we're being honest the Eagles are better at Rushing the ball, stopping the Run and Rushing the passer.

Problem is the Patriots have the clear cut advantage with the two most important positions in football. QB and HC. Only time will tell whether or not for a singular day, Foles, Pederson and the "Eagles Team" can be better.

Also I'd argue the Patriots have the most dynamic play maker in Gronk in the game.

While I 100% agree Gronk is a Nightmare for any Defense ,the collective TE Group for the Eagles Ertz, Burton, Celek somewhat negates that since I think the Patriots might struggle with them as well. But yes he is by far the best Skill Position player on the field.

8 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Everyone knows the line has nothing to do with the actual game, right? It is where Vegas thinks they can get close to 50/50 betting on the teams. The line moving up or down 2 points is not going to change the outcome on the field. Even if the line were somehow accurate, it means something like New England would win 56 games if they played 100.

Vegas was not predicting the Falcons or the Vikings to beat Philly. They were not predicting the Patriots would beat the Titans by exactly 13.5 and the Jags by exactly 7.5. Those outcomes are impossible. They were predicting how the general public would bet.

The last time Vegas 'picked' the correct winner and the spread was within 2 points of the outcome was Rams - Titans in 1999 (Jan 2000)

The underdog has won the Super Bowl outright in 7 of the last 10 games. (Giants x2, Broncos, Seahawks, Ravens, Saints, Patriots)

The underdog has won 4 of Brady's 7 Super Bowls.

The Patriots are 1-4 against the spread as favorites with Brady. The 1 cover was last years OT game.

I'm not sure what exactly prompted this post, but by judging the rest of this page, I guess its in response to the argument that the Eagles are underdogs and suggesting otherwise? If not, then just ignore this post... Although it still applies to those who don't like the Eagles underdog narrative.

You're right, Vegas wants the bets to be 50/50, so they use the best minds and best technology to not only determine which team is most likely to win (and thus the team most likely to receive bets), but determine how many points they need to take away from that team right off the bat in order for the bets to come in evenly. So no, they may not be directly trying to predict the winner, but that is 100% what they are doing as a result of their true motives. Now this only applies to the opening line, as after that they simply react to the bets and continually change the spread to maintain that even distribution of bets. However, as long as the line remains >0 for the Eagles, we can say that the general public is favoring the Patriot to win. So you've got most of your major analysts picking the Patriots, and most of the general public picking the Patriots. Thus, the Eagles are underdogs. That's how it works. If you're not the favorite, you're the underdog. If you're not the favorite 3 games in a row, you get the underdog label and narrative surrounding you.

I am honestly baffled that people have taken issue with the Eagles' underdog narrative as if it was up for debate... or even mattered. 

16 hours ago, RollEagles said:

Pats Fan: "This artificial no one believes in us crap eagles fans are playing is hilarious."

*Posts image of game picks by national writers and analysts where literally 35 people picked the Patriots and 0 picked the Eagles*

Pats Fan: Eagles fan sure are sensitive about this artificial no one believes in them crap.

The picture you posted is fake. Will Bronson, Ryan Wilson, dave Richard and Jamey Eisenberg all picked the eagles on CBS sports. 

Like I said, this no one believes in us crap is a load of crap.

11 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I have seen the Patriots lose numerous heartbreakers (and fortunate enough to have seen them win numerous close games), I've never really made excuses (except I am a still a lil salty about that gronk call against the panthers for some reason)

Really? I know both statements are true in a sense, but the numerical reality is youve probably seen the Pats lose some heartbreakers but gotten to see them win a ginormous amount of hearbreakers, including probably the 2 biggest heartbreakers in the sports history (the last 2 SBs you got- the way they ended)

With their win record, playoff win record, SB record, you've gotten your way the vast majority of the time. I know many fans would be at peace if their team got 1 SB and then went winless for a decade. WIth the PAts 75% regular season win record, and 8 Sb appearances, packed into that are a lot of Pat blowouts, some Pats losses, and lots and lots of close games in the regular season, each round of the playoffs and the sb where the Pats just squeezed through on the day.

If any of you are making bargains with the devil, youve got bigger debts left to to pay for the last 15 years than the one the US owes China

20 minutes ago, iothar said:

The picture you posted is fake. Will Bronson, Ryan Wilson, dave Richard and Jamey Eisenberg all picked the eagles on CBS sports. 

Like I said, this no one believes in us crap is a load of crap.

The picture I pulled up was from the Eagles reddit. I think there's a bit of confusion because even you have it mixed up. I found the CBS Sports picks page and there's a mix of people picking against the spread and straight up. And there's a nice mix of picks on that page. 

The narrative for a while has been Patriots dynasty and how can Nick Foles beat Brady and Belichick. That much is obvious. And the Eagles have adapted the underdog narrative to create a mental edge for themselves. Not exactly sure what's wrong with that. I mean, if someone has a problem with that, shouldn't they also have a problem with how Belichick and Brady messed around with hiding Brady's hand from the media with gloves and having him put his hands in his pocket until pre-game warmups?

"Wow Eagles fans are silly for thinking no one believes in their team."

Well, since Wentz went down, the Eagles went from arguably being favorites to being dismissed. I'm not so sure how that's so hard to see. And if not for the huge game that Foles put up, the line for this Super Bowl might rival the line the Patriots faced going up against the Rams. If I remember correctly, no one expected the Patriots to beat the Rams in that Super Bowl. I don't know if the Pats used the underdog narrative to give themselves an edge but I'd be surprised if they didn't. And would it have been so shockingly ridiculous or inappropriate for Pats fans to talk up the fact that almost no one believed they would beat the Rams? 

Archived