Nintendo Switch Thread

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Last three years? So 2020+. It looks pretty solid to me - guess we have different tastes. 

Animal Crossing
Metroid Dread
Kirby
Pokemon Arceus, Scarlet/Violet, Snap
Fire Emblem Engage
Mario 3D World
Paper Mario
Xenoblade 1 & 3
Skyward Sword HD
Pikmin 3
Splatoon 3
Bayonetta 3
Mario + Rabbids 2

I don't know, that's just first party stuff, not even counting the ports you mentioned or all of the great indie or retro games that are on the Switch. I do 90% of my gaming on Switch and I've never thought "I have nothing to play." 

Obviously, it depends on taste.   

If I had kids, it would have been the first "next gen" console I got.

First party exclusives are what sell a console for me, and Nintendo doesn't do it for me PERSONALLY outside of Zelda and Xenoblade.   I like Mario, but its not a system seller for me.

If they had a couple more exclusive franchises I liked, Id absolutely go get it.

Ill probably get one in the next year, especially if the new Zelda is good, but outside of that, the Xenoblade games are the only ones I really want.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Cool mechanics but I'm more interested in dungeons and story.  Hope to have some great boss fights!

I really hope they improve the dungeons for sure. It was an interesting idea with BOTW but it felt cheap to me. I would rather have less big more complex dungeons then 8000 tiny ones. 

On 3/28/2023 at 3:14 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Cool mechanics but I'm more interested in dungeons and story.  Hope to have some great boss fights!

Still looks like weapons break after a few uses, which was my biggest knock on the first game.   Just a really terrible design choice.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 43M said:

Still looks like weapons break after a few uses, which was my biggest knock on the first game.   Just a really terrible design choice.

Using the same weapons over and over gets old real quick in terms of combat, oh no my weapon broke because it's condition is low better go spend money to repair it got old so quick, the player is stuck with the same 2-3 weapons they like over the course of the game instead of mixing up their playstyle.

BOTW's implementation allowed you to use different things in combat, runes, physics, explosives etc. Your weapons changing/breaking was a massive part of that. 

I like the idea behind the design but having your weapon break during combat after like *30 hits* was dumb. Bows were whatever cause strings can break and there were special bows that were OP as heck so fair enough.

I think allowing you to make your favorite weapon fairly easily again is a good compromise. 

2 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Using the same weapons over and over gets old real quick in terms of combat, oh no my weapon broke because it's condition is low better go spend money to repair it got old so quick, the player is stuck with the same 2-3 weapons they like over the course of the game instead of mixing up their playstyle.

BOTW's implementation allowed you to use different things in combat, runes, physics, explosives etc. Your weapons changing/breaking was a massive part of that. 

I like the idea behind the design but having your weapon break during combat after like *30 hits* was dumb. Bows were whatever cause strings can break and there were special bows that were OP as heck so fair enough.

I think allowing you to make your favorite weapon fairly easily again is a good compromise. 

I dont have a problem with it to a point, but it was WAY over the top.    I actually love the wide array of weapons, but when I find a supposedly powerful sword and it breaks after 10 hits, eventually, it gets old and took me out of the game a little.    

I know it didn't annoy everyone, and it was a great game either way, but that one dynamic prevented it from being on another level for me.  

Hell, even the master sword was limited!  That was at least one weapon they shouldn't have nerfed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 43M said:

I dont have a problem with it to a point, but it was WAY over the top.    I actually love the wide array of weapons, but when I find a supposedly powerful sword and it breaks after 10 hits, eventually, it gets old and took me out of the game a little.    

I know it didn't annoy everyone, and it was a great game either way, but that one dynamic prevented it from being on another level for me.  

Hell, even the master sword was limited!  That was at least one weapon they shouldn't have nerfed.

Was what frustrated me with it. Never played a LoZ game before, only got NFL handhelds aside from Wii, and don’t think it was a great in for me.

10 hours ago, 43M said:

I don't care for the weapon breaking and was hoping it was the a thing of the past. Like the sword that you could find in the castle. It was really good and you couldn't just grab a bunch yet it broke fairly easily. 

• Like 1

NGL I went pretty soft when he used the stick and it broke in 4 hits. At least you can add a rock to the end so it lasts longer. Hoping they made better weapons more durable but I doubt it... we will have to make a cool sword an abomination for it to last a few more swings

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 9:38 PM, 43M said:

My biggest knock was a combination of energy being tied to climbing mixed with rain making you slide down what you’re climbing. I used almost all my energy swimming to the final boss island and got to the rock to climb up it and it started raining. If I slid down once I was gonna die so I just sat there for like an hour irl waiting for it to stop raining 

• Like 1

Did anybody get the N64 package on their switch? I bought it for some nostalgia gaming and noticed all of the controls on the games are all out of whack. I tried playing Goldeneye with the joycons inserted into a chargable controller thing and all of the buttons were all over the place.

Can you only play the N64 games with the new N64 controller?

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Did anybody get the N64 package on their switch? I bought it for some nostalgia gaming and noticed all of the controls on the games are all out of whack. I tried playing Goldeneye with the joycons inserted into a chargable controller thing and all of the buttons were all over the place.

Can you only play the N64 games with the new N64 controller?

No, you can play them with the Joycons or Pro Controller - it's just a bit awkward since the N64 and Switch controllers are not the same. It's hard to replicate the c buttons and Z button, for instance. 

The N64 controller you buy is probably the best way to play those games though. 

1 minute ago, Lions017 said:

No, you can play them with the Joycons or Pro Controller - it's just a bit awkward since the N64 and Switch controllers are not the same. It's hard to replicate the c buttons and Z button, for instance. 

The N64 controller you buy is probably the best way to play those games though. 

Yuck lol I wonder if they have the same 5ft bluetooth range that the Joycons do haha

On 3/30/2023 at 7:53 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I don't care for the weapon breaking and was hoping it was the a thing of the past. Like the sword that you could find in the castle. It was really good and you couldn't just grab a bunch yet it broke fairly easily. 

Yep, i'm with you. Not a fan of game mechanics like this unless there is a pretty good balance. Makes collecting weapons unexciting at best and an extreme chore at worse.