Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

15 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Get creative and find a way to keep your most talented players on the field. There was a lot of talk about 3 Safety looks this year. Additionally, Cam can play some CB in a pinch. 

That's probably the best way to handle it.  You could potentially have Cam play some slot corner if Cine is ready and Harry has not retired.  Once Harry retires, then it's Cine and Cam, but until then, they can make it work.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Gotta get third downs figured out, but this is really promising 3 games into the Kevin O'Connell era.

That's good data and shows the offense has been clicking fairly well but why does it feel like it has been so stagnant? How much is the Green Bay game inflating those numbers?

Alexander Mattison has served admirably as both a backup and replacement starter for Cook. In six career starts, Mattison has averaged 115.5 all-purpose yards and five touchdowns. He surpassed 100 rushing yards in two of those games and posted over 90 rushing yards in four of his six starts.

When and if Mattison signs to a new team next offseason, Minnesota will receive a compensatory third- or fourth-round pick for helping develop Mattison. The floor for a potential trade would have to involve at least a pick of that value.

However, understanding Cook’s injury woes over his career, Mattison is the ultimate insurance policy for Cook and likely much more valuable than simply a mid-round draft capital.

Ben Goessling: “Mattison will be a free agent after the season, and the Vikings got plenty of calls this summer from teams interested in trading for him. He remains on the roster as a complement and insurance policy for Cook, though, and even as Cook prepares to play against the Saints, the Lions game provided a reminder of why Mattison is still here."

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/kirk-cousins-alexander-mattison-dalvin-cook/?fbclid=IwAR21TnwHXfw9tAFAsfLPpRp-nrm3RkqqeHwvbwUe4xVYUdWvIW1hQtFOEPY

48 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Would honestly take Mattison going forward over Cook given that he’s likely cheaper and should have a bit more longevity, especially with Cook’s injury history. 

I can't go with that.  While it seems sound on it's face, I'm not sure I could fully trust Mattison being the lead option...while he's certainly solid, he's not dynamic.  Either way, after this year, Dalvin's basically on a year-to-year deal, because his dead money drops significantly after this year.  I think, just like lots of other veterans on the team, Dalvin will probably be around for 2023, but come 2024, it's over.  

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I can't go with that.  While it seems sound on it's face, I'm not sure I could fully trust Mattison being the lead option...while he's certainly solid, he's not dynamic.  Either way, after this year, Dalvin's basically on a year-to-year deal, because his dead money drops significantly after this year.  I think, just like lots of other veterans on the team, Dalvin will probably be around for 2023, but come 2024, it's over.  

There are options behind Mattison like Chandler who could provide a bit of variety. I’ve always been impressed with Mattison’s ability to pick up yardage. While he isnt as flashy as Cook, it seems he’s always at a comparable YPC clip. 

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

There are options behind Mattison like Chandler who could provide a bit of variety. I’ve always been impressed with Mattison’s ability to pick up yardage. While he isnt as flashy as Cook, it seems he’s always at a comparable YPC clip. 

My best guess is that they'll just pick up someone in the draft next year who can fill that Mattison role, and then may split the carries with Chandler or Nwangwu in 2024.