Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Coach Kevin O’Connell said the plan is for Reagor to be the punt returner against Green Bay next week:

“We’re going to give him every opportunity to do that. We have some other guys on the roster we feel good about if need be but Jalen is excited about that opportunity. I think he’s got some good experience doing that, obviously some real flashes of doing that at a high level. We’ll get him going and if he’s our best option, he’ll be back there.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/vikings-insider/the-gms-view/a-bizarre-turn-of-events-with-reagor-trade-and-injured-vikings-return-to-practice?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

The Athletic’s Dane Brugler projected Ross Blacklock as the fourth-ranked defensive tackle coming out of TCU due to his athleticism.

“Overall, Blacklock doesn’t get home enough on tape, but all the traits are there with his blend of size, quickness and power to develop into a disruptive presence, projecting as a versatile lineman who can play anywhere from the nose to the five-technique,” Brugler wrote.

Appearing in 29 games over his first two seasons in the league, Blacklock picked up 30 total tackles and two sacks. He was hoping for a breakout season in 2022, but the move to Minnesota spells some doubt after the Texans moved on from a homegrown prospect to move up one round in next year’s draft.

Adofo-Mensah touted Blacklock’s pass-rushing ability which may be a better fit in the team’s 3-4 defense than Watts, however, he’s not a lock to start in Week 1.

“Under the circumstances, where I just came from and how quickly things happen in transition, I know that’s not a reality,” Blacklock said, per the Pioneer Press. “I’ve got to learn the playbook first. I got to get the defense down. … So I’ll say maybe (starting) in time. Not Week 1, but definitely in time.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/ndamukong-suh-ross-blacklock-nfl-rumors/?fbclid=IwAR36-9f0R3R25CGET2JhF0XWPey-3_ulv_RMaT7OnCF_Aew4hLEL8Jrblwk

@ET80, what did we get here with Blaylock...?

Former Minnesota Vikings quarterback Nate Stanley has filed an injury grievance against the Vikings, Pioneer Press beat writer Chris Tomasson reported on September 1.

Stanley, a native of Menomonie, Wisconsin, located an hour east of the Twin Cities, was released on July 19, a week before the start of training camp. He claims Minnesota released him while having a nerve injury that affected his leg and foot, and that he should receive payment from the Vikings because it was a football-related injury, according to Tomasson.

“Due to his grievance, sources said Thursday that the NFL has placed a $172,000 amount on Minnesota’s salary cap while the issue is being investigated,” Tomasson wrote. “That is 40 percent of the $420,000 injury split in Stanley’s contract that he would be entitled to if it were ruled he has an injury making him unable to play in the 2022 season.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/nate-stanley-injury-grievance-nfl-news/

In the aftermath of the Reagor trade on August 31, SNYTV’s Connor Hughes reported that the Vikings called the New York Jets about acquiring 2020 second-round pick Denzel Mims.

However, the Jets’ asking price for Mims was too much for Minnesota.

“The #Vikings, #Cowboys and #Seahawks, along with the #Panthers, called the #Jets about trading for WR Denzel Mims, sources tell @SNYtv,” Hughes tweeted. “The Jets asking price was a 4th round pick. No team was willing to offer that, so Jets kept Mims.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/new-york-jets-denzel-mims-trade/

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

@ET80, what did we get here with Blaylock...?

None of what that scouting report mentioned. Guy lacked explosiveness, any sort of push up front. Frequently washed out, teams would run at him knowing he’d give up 2-3 yards on initial push. Blacklock really didn’t show that strength and quickness in college during his tenure in the NFL - some believed the ankle injury he suffered as a Soph in TCU was causing him issues, others felt as if his tape in college is exaggerated by playing against some inferior opponents. 

He once got into a spat with former Texans’ player JJ Watt over his work ethic and intensity - Watt is famously known for his unwavering work ethic, so perhaps that’s a bar that’s too high for anyone.

All in all, nobody is really shedding tears for the former Fort Bend Elkins HS product; There was never a point where Blacklock looked like a consistent contributor out there, and was actually a liability on the field the majority of his career to this point. It's a shame, Blacklock was the pick that came from the DeAndre Hopkins trade, so expectation were impossibly  high to begin with - even without that shadow cast over him, Blacklock never really stood out in a good way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

and there were those who said CJ Ham would be cut....

It is pretty nuts to keep 4 running backs and 1 FB when technically the McVay offense does not really use a FB.  Maybe O'Connell will change it, still keeping Ty Chandler is a surprise big time but then again Cook and Mattison both get hurt and not sure either one recently has made it through an entire season healthy.  

I still would use Ham as a HB type or multiple TE type in multi TE formations.  He can make plays catching the football and can block better than arguably any TE they have especially in motion.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

It is pretty nuts to keep 4 running backs and 1 FB when technically the McVay offense does not really use a FB.  Maybe O'Connell will change it, still keeping Ty Chandler is a surprise big time but then again Cook and Mattison both get hurt and not sure either one recently has made it through an entire season healthy.  

I still would use Ham as a HB type or multiple TE type in multi TE formations.  He can make plays catching the football and can block better than arguably any TE they have especially in motion.  

I wasn't at all surprised they kept Chandler. He looked great in the preseason games and practice chatter was positive. Didn't see them being able to sneak him onto the Practice Squad. I was more surprised Mattison was kept, since we won't be extending him after the season. But I think there is something to be said for keeping your best players and not just wasting a spot on the 10th o-lineman.