Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Reagor probably provides an immediate upgrade to our PR spot, but dropping ISN to make room for him sucks. I feel like ISM probably starts as a WR 3 at worst on 8+ teams in the league, and could probably see significant time with division rivals in the Bears and Packers if they pick him up. Just to get a view on the Vikes playbook alone makes him an asset to those rivals. I like Nailor, but I’d have kept ISM over him, or Udoh, and tried to get those guys on the practice squad. Really thought ISM would be a solid backfill in the future when Theilen hangs them up.

Any idea what cap space we are left with now? Is another add like Suh still feasible?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Really, really surprised about ISM.

I think what’s led to so much of the surprise is that no one expected the Vikings to only keep 5 wide receivers. Everyone expected them to carry 6, and many think they still will. If the general belief had always been that they’d keep 5, this likely isn’t a shock. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

A 5th for Reagor feels ignorant.

Why? Who cares. We have proof from last year that you can bust on every pick in the draft. I have no problems with taking a risk on a 1st round pick from two years ago who is still young and is already a good returner. He won't have the pressure of being a #1 type player anymore or the pressure to live up to his draft status, and could learn a lot from AT and JJ. Not to mention McCardell is a beast at developing talent. 

I think a 5th round pick is fine for something like this. A 5th round pick turned into Zach Davidson, Harrison Hand, and Dru Samia. Very rarely are they Stefon Diggs. I am totally fine with this trade given the potential.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

What potential? He got worse in year 2 lol.

He is fast, elusive, and was a 1st round pick 2 years ago. There is potential there especially with Keenan McCardell as our WR coach and him not needing to perform to his draft status. I'm sorry you would rather have another Danny Isadora or David Yankey on this team instead. Hell, most of last years draft class was cut yesterday. Draft picks are extremely overrated sometimes. The hit % on 5th round picks is so low... This move isn't bad imo.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 2

Roster observations

-  I’m glad they only kept 2 QBs. I’ve always felt that it’s a great sign the GM knows how to maximize the roster. 

-  5 RB/FBs seems unnecessary, but it was expected. It’ll be interesting to see if any team is willing to pay the asking price, which is apparently a 4th round pick. 

-  8 pass catchers is probably the biggest surprise for me. But I do think it shows that the team expects Jalen Nailor to be a contributor. I think most fans and pundits had the team keeping 6 receivers with the expectation that Nailor would be the 6th, and therefore inactive receiver. But with 3 TEs and 5 WRs, I’d expect all 8 players to be active on game days. 

-  That 9th pass catcher that everyone was expecting turned out to be a 10th offensive lineman. Which I do find interesting given that there doesn’t seem to be any question as to who the 5 starters are. Chris Reed is the obvious IOL backup, with Udoh as the swing tackle, and Brandel as the JOAT. I was glad to see them keep Lowe on the 53 man roster. He got better each game and looks like a solid swing tackle to replace Udoh next season. Keeping Schlottmann is an interesting choice. He was ok during the preseason, but he’s not exactly a developmental player, and he’s likely going to be inactive each week, barring injury. Keeping Schlottmann does give me the sense that the team is trying to do something with Bradbury. 

-  Absolutey zero surprises, or anything remotely unexpected with the secondary. Every player that people expected to make the team made it. 

-  Same with the edge rushers and linebackers. No real surprises. I thought the team would keep Blake Lynch over Vilain as the 9th guy who stands out on special teams, but Vilain looked good on ST and reportedly caught the eye of Matt Daniels. I like seeing UDFAs make the team. 

-  The d-line saw the biggest surprise move with cutting Watts. But, looking back at the preseason, there were signs that he wasn’t as safe as many expected. He played far more snaps than any other expected starter. In the end I think Blacklock will be a better fit for what Donatell wants from his 3 down lineman. Holding up against the run is key for those front 3, and run defense was easily Watts’ biggest weakness. 

Kwesi definitely did take one thing from Andrew Berry, and that’s churning up the bottom of the roster.