Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

43 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings have the least amount of cap space available. If they make a move to rent OBJ for the rest of the season, it means a longer commitment to an aging player whose contract they’ll have to restructure. 

every party needs its pooper.

O'Connell, in February: “I give Odell so much credit. He’s been such a joy to be around. I think the greatest thing for me has been learning about the person. He’s an unbelievable person. His teammates love him and then, also, he loves football.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/odell-beckham-justin-jefferson-thielen-cousins/?fbclid=IwAR1v2DW05RN0q8KIO9tNlKSWAmta0QruycBIILBD7zwwRpRrNG6LodVhGaU

This would be a much more reasonable target than OBJ would be...and would make sense, especially since they'd only have to keep him through the end of the season and they would have the option between Smith and him to extend, should they choose to do either one or let them both walk.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

why are the Dolphins trading him, didn't he catch 2 td's last week?

What I've read is that he doesn't truly fit their offensive scheme...he's not George Kittle, although they try to play him that way.  And it's sort of mutual...he doesn't really want to be there.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

This would be a much more reasonable target than OBJ would be...and would make sense, especially since they'd only have to keep him through the end of the season and they would have the option between Smith and him to extend, should they choose to do either one or let them both walk.

That is very odd but I assume they think they can get a decent amount for him in terms of a solid draft pick, and with Hill and Waddle on the roster he just takes targets away from them. 

They also have Hunter Long, Durham Smythe and Adam Shaheen at TE and all could be decent if given a chance, hell I would say any of them could be arguably better than the Vikings TEs, especially Long or Smythe.  

Or maybe they think they can get a solid backup OL for him.  

He’s on the franchise tag. I don’t think we can afford him, even at a prorated salary. If they franchise him again, that salary goes even higher. Not to mention he’d have to get up to speed on the offense and likely wouldn’t be a real contributor for several weeks. 

Unless it’s a 6th or 7th round pick in 2024, it’s just not worth it for a rental. 

If the Vikings decide to add a player before the trade deadline I hope it's via adding a free agent rather than a trade. This team needs to be moulded into KAMs & KOCs vision and to do that I think you need draft picks.

If the team is able to pull off some cap gymnastics with restructures I'd love to add OBJ or Suh.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, viking said:

If the Vikings decide to add a player before the trade deadline I hope it's via adding a free agent rather than a trade. This team needs to be moulded into KAMs & KOCs vision and to do that I think you need draft picks.

If the team is able to pull off some cap gymnastics with restructures I'd love to add OBJ or Suh.

To be fair, trading draft picks for players may be how they want to mold the team. They're still picking a player with that pick, just not a rookie.

However, with our salary cap situation, adding players in any way is going to be difficult and likely not as splashy as we'd like.

4 hours ago, viking said:

You are correct, the front office should keep all options for building the team open.  However, I think that the team needs to be judicious in who they go after in free agency or in trading opportunities.  The one year rental philosophy doesn't help the team in the long term.  If the Vikings were serious contenders (I think it's a 50/50 proposition that they are) and are headed deep in the playoffs, I could see pulling in someone for the remainder of the season, especially on defense.  I don't think I would go after OBJ.  He's been an electrifying player, but he has had serious injuries the two previous seasons.  I think he has become to fragile, but that's just my speculation.  Besides, I think the Rams will find a way to sign him if he passes a physical. I think T.Y. Hilton and Linval Joseph (I could see him as an effective rotational NT) might be better, and less expensive options.

24 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

You are correct, the front office should keep all options for building the team open.  However, I think that the team needs to be judicious in who they go after in free agency or in trading opportunities.  The one year rental philosophy doesn't help the team in the long term.  If the Vikings were serious contenders (I think it's a 50/50 proposition that they are) and are headed deep in the playoffs, I could see pulling in someone for the remainder of the season, especially on defense.  I don't think I would go after OBJ.  He's been an electrifying player, but he has had serious injuries the two previous seasons.  I think he has become to fragile, but that's just my speculation.  Besides, I think the Rams will find a way to sign him if he passes a physical. I think T.Y. Hilton and Linval Joseph (I could see him as an effective rotational NT) might be better, and less expensive options.

I'm not sure how much Linval has left in the tank tbh.

If the Vikings want to continue rushing 4 and dropping 7 into coverage adding another veteran can't hurt. I think Suh would add a lot more in the pass rush department than Linval but like you said at a higher price tag.