Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

While they have no significant depth, they run quite a bit of nickel, so they don't need to be all that deep.  Expect Wilson (who I really like) to take a jump this offseason, and they also have Antwione Williams, who spent most of the season on the PS to go with Gedeon.    

Kentrell Brothers suspended 4 games. 

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/4/20/17263804/minnesota-vikings-kentrell-brothers-suspension

Linebacker depth has been an area of concern for the Minnesota Vikings as they head into next week’s draft. After Friday’s news, that area just got a little larger. Linebacker Kentrell Brothers has been suspended for the first four games of the 2018 season for violating the NFL PED policy:

Edited by marshpit23
Add info

6 hours ago, disaacs said:

While they have no significant depth, they run quite a bit of nickel, so they don't need to be all that deep.  Expect Wilson (who I really like) to take a jump this offseason, and they also have Antwione Williams, who spent most of the season on the PS to go with Gedeon.    

The Vikes are an injury to Barr or Kendricks and not having a legit starter on the defense. Maybe Gedeon would become a three down player in that scenario but I'd prefer to have some kind of veteran backing up either Barr or Kendricks.

Wilson should be okay in Lamur's role. I struggle to find 6 LBs on this roster worthy of a roster spot come week one. There's probably four right now (not including Brothers).

Edited by vikingsrule

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes are an injury to Barr or Kendricks and not having a legit starter on the defense.

I think I know what you're trying to say here, but this statement as written here is obviously false. :D

But to the point you were making, I wouldn't rule out the team drafting someone like Lorenzo Carter as the third LB. Slots Gedeon back on the second unit and special teams where he probably belongs.

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

I think I know what you're trying to say here, but this statement as written here is obviously false. :D

But to the point you were making, I wouldn't rule out the team drafting someone like Lorenzo Carter as the third LB. Slots Gedeon back on the second unit and special teams where he probably belongs.

I would not mind that but I don't want to spend a top 2 pick on a WLB when they only play 30% usuallly in Zimmer's defense.

Maybe that changes with a better player at that position, but I don't think Zimmer wants to change what he's doing right now fundamentally. 

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I would not mind that but I don't want to spend a top 2 pick on a WLB when they only play 30% usuallly in Zimmer's defense.

Maybe that changes with a better player at that position, but I don't think Zimmer wants to change what he's doing right now fundamentally. 

If we draft someone in the top 2 rounds like Lorenzo Carter, it probably means they will be taking over for Barr in 2019.

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

If we draft someone in the top 2 rounds like Lorenzo Carter, it probably means they will be taking over for Barr in 2019.

Is doesn't necessarily mean that. It means that Barr & Carter will get snaps rushing the passer at DE along with LB snaps. I'm expecting an Edge\LB hybird selection

33 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

When has Barr ever been a successful pass rusher from the DE spot? I can’t even remember the last time he tried.

Never. Anthony Barr is not an edge rusher. 

If this team team is looking for a hybrid linebacker, they’re looking for a S/LB hybrid that can cover and move around the field. 

Just go back in to the history of teams where Zimmer has been the defensive coordinator/Head Coach, and look at the linebackers that have been drafted. Except for DeMarcus Ware, all of the linebackers drafted are your traditional linebackers. There were no edge hybrid linebackers drafted in Cincinnati, and the closest one being drafted by the Vikings was Barr, who’s never been used in that role. So it’s hard to call him a hybrid player. 

What edge hybrids have the Cikings reportedly been interested around draft time? Honesty, I can’t think of any. But I can think of S/LB hybrids that the Vikings have been linked to having interest (Shaw Thompson, Sua Cravens, Jabril Peppers). 

Zimmer’s defense has never really utilized hybrid, or specialty players. His defense is fairly straight forward with traditional positions. He just looks for great athletes at those traditional positions. 

Edited by SemperFeist

Minnesota Vikings linebacker Kentrell Brothers was suspended Friday without pay for the first four games of the 2018 regular season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances, the league announced. Brothers is eligible to return to the Vikings' active roster on Sept. 28, following the team's Sept. 27 game against the Los Angeles Rams. Brothers is allowed to participate in all offseason and preseason practices and games. He will miss games against the San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers, Buffalo Bills and Los Angeles Rams.

Brothers has appeared in 26 games over the last two seasons for Minnesota, primarily on special teams. He took just eight defensive snaps over 16 games in 2017.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000927692/article/vikings-kentrell-brothers-suspended-4-games-by-nfl

Brothers will lose $148,233 in salary while sitting out. He has a base salary of $630,000 in 2018.

The NFL did not offer specifics on what sort of performance-enhancing substances Brothers used.

Brothers: “While it was not my intention to violate any league policies, I understand that it is up to me to be aware of what goes in my body, and I take full responsibility for that. I sincerely apologize to the Vikings organization, my teammates and our fans for my mistake. I take my job as a professional seriously and will continue to support my teammates during this time.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/20/vikings-lb-kentrell-brothers-suspended-by-nfl-for-first-four-games-of-2018/

Edited by vike daddy

I will never understand why an NFL player would use any type of supplement that wasn’t given, or recommended, to him by the team’s training staff. 

I also don’t understand why the NFLPA doesn’t regularly check, and test, supplements that players could find themselves using. 

3 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

When has Barr ever been a successful pass rusher from the DE spot? I can’t even remember the last time he tried.

Notice the post said Barr AND CARTER. Everyone fixates on Barr, but I think Carter is someone who could easily play along the DL in sub-packages. I think he'd be a chess piece for this staff, kinda like a young Everson Griffen was for the previous staff. He could provide LB depth during Brothers' suspension. He can help the pass rush in sub-packages. Use him on special teams.

• Like 1