Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

It’s a 53 man roster. Given that the Vikings have lost depth in free agency and haven’t drafted yet, their last 10 contracts above that line include guys like Sloter, Bower and Aviante Collins, plus several from last year’s practice squad. Signing 7 or more draft picks and adding back more depth (maybe Newman or some otheir vets for fairly cheap) will limit the top 51 to the actual 53 man roster. 

Point is just that adding a player for $800K only takes up an additional $300K of cap space, since someone counting as $500K won’t count if they get pushed below the top 51 cutoff. 

5 hours ago, Krauser said:

I think they’re actually still well over $20M. They were over $21M before the two signings mentioned here. 

Cap space is calculated based on the top 51 contracts the team has that year. Adding 2 vet minimum deals pushes their 2 lowest caps hits from the top 51 (according to Over The Cap, could be Sloter and Cayleb Jones) below the cutoff.

Since Sloter and Jones were counting $480K each against the cap, Forbath and Compton only take up and additional $320K or so each in replacing them when calculating the team’s total. Net change roughly $650K. By OTC’s page that means they’re almost exactly at $21M remaining. 

This is a good point. Also remember that veterans on one year minimum contracts do not count against the cap for the full amount of that one year minimum. Owing to the veteran minimum salary benefit rule they only count against the cap at the second year minimum. Ergo, Kai Forbath on a one year veteran minimum contract of $790k only will have a $555k cap hit for 2018. Subtract the $480k minimum for a player with no years accrued and Forbath should be a net hit of $75k at most. If the 51st highest salaried player is a guy with a year of experience it would be a $540k contract and Forbath's net would be only $15k.

I have not seen the details of Compton's deal but it seems likely that it is a one year veteran minimum deal of $790k with a small bonus (can be up to $90k) in order to qualify for this benefit. I have seen a report of $800k salary for the year, but that would be just silly so I doubt it is correct. Perhaps whoever reported that meant to call it a $790k salary with $10k of bonuses (signing, workout, roster). They may have been a bit imprecise owing to ignorance to the multiple hundred thousand dollar cap difference.

I do not know, as the offseason progresses, what the odds are of the 51st salary being a guy with one year experience or a guy with no experience. Right now the 51st salary is a $480k salary but it seems like a good possibility that before too long it will be a $555k contract.

In other words, the net cap hit for any veteran on a one year contract is almost negligible in the offseason and if they make the team it is still hardly more than an alternative.

Edited by Cearbhall

49 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

With roughly $45M available in 2019, before any kind of cap inflation, the Vikings should have enough money to lock up the big 4. 

But we can't only look at the big 4 (Barr/Hunter/Diggs/Kendricks) ... then biggest one is Richardson, who could still be a candidate to get on other contract.

I would look to definitely extend Barr and lower the cap hit (and push more cap space into next off season). And my next priority would be to try and get Hunter on an extension. Then see if Diggs will extend. I'll wait on Kendricks.

Edited by CriminalMind

It does say at least that amount and, fair or not, all of those wide outs have had a 1000 yard season (well 997 for Adams)

Teams also pay, and continue to pay, for draft pedigree even if that’s nonsense and often wrongly pay for past production over presumed future production. 

Edited by rpmwr19

5 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

That Stefon Diggs amount seems to really be very underselling given the contracts WRs got this year namely looking at the Davante Adams and Mike Evans extensions and the deals Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins got by hitting free agency.

He also has a bit of an injury history. He hasn't played all 16 games in his career yet, and I know his rookie year he was just held out, but he still got banged up and that slowed him down quite a bit down the stretch. 

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not looking at Richardson for an extension without even seeing him play. 

No one is suggesting that? But if your looking at extensions for Kendricks (now), your potentially prioritizing him over potentially Richardson. You want to give yourself the opportunity to retain him... So I wouldn't lock up all the "big 4" if it's going to take me out of the potential Richardson future extension during mid season... I would consider Richardson vastly superior to Kendricks, to wait on Kendricks unless it's a very value signing

Edited by CriminalMind

1 hour ago, byuvike88 said:

He also has a bit of an injury history. He hasn't played all 16 games in his career yet, and I know his rookie year he was just held out, but he still got banged up and that slowed him down quite a bit down the stretch. 

Davante Adams has had 3 concussions so I’m not sure he’s a better longterm bet, and he got full price.

• Like 1