If you could say one thing to your 21yo self

UKTexans

4 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I'm only 25 but same dude

Never too late. I'm thinking of it and I'm knocking on 40s door. We'll see how things shake out after my wife finishes school in about a year (she was about 35 when she left medical billing, and will be a BCBA in about a year... wasn't easy, but worth it).

20 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

I was in Minnesota once in February for work. I'm not sure how anyone lives there that time of the year. It was unnecessary. Luckily downtown's skyways are insanely useful. Great time during the summer though!

Skyways are the best.

I wouldn't be kind to my younger self. "Diet and work out you fat PoS!"

On 7/29/2017 at 3:43 PM, Heimdallr said:

invest everything in Amazon

I was just about to post this. Also, teach myself how to be a better student in the career I'm aiming for and travel with a better group of friends. I wasted about 5-6 years with people who didn't want to accomplish nothing. They talked about it, but never did anything. I had to separate myself from them.

Actually, I would go back to when I was 22, not 21. I would tell myself to get out of the teaching-coaching track I was on and go in the Phys Ed-Sport part of my major (and maybe even look into Physical Therapy as well). I would also tell myself to not work at that camp the following year, and stay that the part-time job that I had. 

18 hours ago, champ11 said:

Study something you are passionate about rather than something "that will get you a job." Talented, passionate people can make anything happen, the degree doesn't matter (not in all fields of course lol) 

You're not wrong but there are also a lot of folks with degrees in things like art history, history, etc who are making $12/hr as an assistant manager at McDonald's.

There has to be some balance IMO.

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You're not wrong but there are also a lot of folks with degrees in things like art history, history, etc who are making $12/hr as an assistant manager at McDonald's.

There has to be some balance IMO.

I think if you're not actually passionate about the topic and are coasting through - study accounting or something you can get a job in easily. If you are actually invested in the degree, whether it is history or whatever, and are focused on learning and improving yourself....you will find success eventually no matter what the degree. 

16 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think if you're not actually passionate about the topic and are coasting through - study accounting or something you can get a job in easily. If you are actually invested in the degree, whether it is history or whatever, and are focused on learning and improving yourself....you will find success eventually no matter what the degree. 

Define success. A job you enjoy in a field you love? Definitely possible.

Financial success?  Eh, maybe.  That's not the type of logic I'd personally use when investing 10's of thousands of dollars in a formal a education.

I think the most prudent way to go about incorporating the two is to have a career that pays bills and a hobby doing something you love (photography, gunsmithing, art, etc.)  If you are talented enough and passionate about your hobby that you can eventually make a living at it, great, but if not you have a way to actually pay back those loans and provide a financially secure future for yourself.

IMHO...

To 21 year old me in 2004?

"Don't look for answers at the bottom of that bottle" (I had severe alcohol issues in the Navy)

"Invest in Amazon, and in 2010 Tesla Motors and whatever the hell a BitCoin is."

"Before the beginning of the 2009 NFL season, bet the farm on New Orleans winning the Super Bowl. Just trust me."

I think those would suit me best. My family's curse for a long time has been financial issues. Knowing I would have the means to take care of all of us would be wonderful.

Archived