If you could say one thing to your 21yo self

UKTexans

It'd be easy to say invest in company X/Y/Z, but in all honestly i'm not sure i'd change anything given the opportunity.  When you think about how your life is stitched together by seemingly random events or things that wouldn't have happened if you were 1 minute earlier or later to something, you think about all the good things that would have changed.  Would i have my two kids if i was a young millionaire?  Probably not.

And while i'd probably be happy if life had gone a different route, i can't change it now knowing what i know now.  That'd be more painful than any good thing i'd bring about in return.

So the answer is - i'd keep quiet.

If you want the non-serious answer, i'd tell myself to invest in Amazon or some other quick rising stock.  It'd be nice to get out of the daily grind of M-F 8-5.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

things that wouldn't have happened if you were 1 minute earlier or later to something

Sliding doors was a great movie. 

I understand your thought process. I wouldn't want to change my life drastically, but if I'd put in more effort with studying I would still be where I am now, just without this qualification hanging over my head and my salary would probably be 50% higher right now. 

On 7/29/2017 at 3:43 PM, Heimdallr said:

invest everything in Amazon

Was $15/share on my 21st birthday.......................................... brb killing myself

But for real, I would've worked harder also and just jumped into the career workforce when I got out of school. I was in the "I've got a good degree I can lean on, I'm going to just bartend and wait tables and mess around for a few years while I pay off my loans". While that was nice, I really set myself back as a result w/ the exception of paying my loans off. I was making great money and living at home for a few years after school so it was rather easy to do. I'm glad that's something I can't say in this thread and HIGHLY suggest it to those new grads. If you have the ability to live at home after you get your bachelors, DO IT!!!! I cannot emphasize that enough. Stay there for a couple years if you can. Get into the workforce and save but just start chucking money at your debt. It will go away quickly. Maybe just choose a professional career that'll let you move forward more quickly lol.

If you're in your mid 20's and you have advice for your past self that you screwed your life up because of whatever, that's fixable. If you didn't study to get into the program or field that you want, go back to school. If you didn't apply yourself at your job, polish your resume up, get a fresh start at a new place, and hit the grindstone. If you didn't save enough, make a budget and start saving. If that girl got away, go get her or go hit the gym, get some confidence, and find somebody. You're not even 30, much less 65.

And that'd be my advice for a 21 year old me. Life is full of random events that you can't predict - embrace it.

Archived