Best three year run of any team since the merger

TecmoSuperJoe

I wanted to know your opinions on what team in a three year span was the most dominant in a three year run. I guess you'd have to take into consideration the circumstances. Era being the biggest one since there didn't used to be salary cap. Also competition level in conference and league at the time. We have yet to have a three peat champion. The NFL is such a small sample size I'm personally not going to have Super Bowls be a dealbreaker for me. Others will differ obviously. 

Off the top of my head I'm guessing most answers will consistent of:

1999-2001 Rams
1987-1989 49ers
1988-1990 49ers
1992-1994 Cowboys
1977-1979 Steelers
2003-2005 Patriots
1996-1998 Broncos
2003-2005 Colts
1971-1973 Dolphins

I feel like I'm forgetting some others choices that should stick out. Hopefully some "seasoned" fans chime in. 

I'd throw the 90's Bills in there, even if they did lose 4 in a row. What an unbelievable feat that will never again be replicated. I wish that they would have won JUST ONE so that their players and coaching staff would have gotten the recognition they deserve, not to mention their awesome fans.

Any team that did not win 2 Super Bowls in a 3 year period is out.

Packers (I & II)
Dolphins (VII & VIII) -- Lost VI
Steelers (IX & X)
Steelers (XIII & XIV)
49ers (XXIII & XXIV)
Cowboys (XXVII & XXVIII)/(XXVIII & XXX)
Broncos (XXXII & XXXIII)
Patriots (XXXVI & XXXVIII)/(XXXVIII & XXXIX)
Patriots (XLIX & LI)

Given all these I'm going to say back to back winners take precedence. And the fact that the only team to make the Super Bowl all three times in any three year span was the Dolphins, they get the nod. Now if they were to play eachother on the field? Who the hell knows, but that's not what this thread is about. Free Agency and the Salary Cap certainly make it more difficult to do something like that today, Also the fact that there are just generally more teams also makes a few more hurdles. So I'm also going to go with the Patriots in XXXVIII & XXXIX

Give my nod to that Dolphins team. 3 straight Super Bowl appearances with 2 wins and 1 of the wins being off an undefeated season? Amazing. The Dolphins in general don't get a lot of respect as a franchise that they deserve. Between 1970 and 2003 they only had 2 seasons where they were bottomed out at 6 wins in a season. Imagine your team going 33 years with only seeing 2 losing seasons

On 2/1/2018 at 11:39 AM, MWil23 said:

I'd throw the 90's Bills in there, even if they did lose 4 in a row. What an unbelievable feat that will never again be replicated. I wish that they would have won JUST ONE so that their players and coaching staff would have gotten the recognition they deserve, not to mention their awesome fans.

Bingo. Goodness knows what the narrative is if Scott Norwood doesn't miss. The butterfly effect on that one kick is enormous.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:12 PM, nextsuperstar1 said:

I think four year runs might be a better measure. Four years seems to be the measure of a dominant team. 

For example: the 1993 to 1996 Cowboys; the four Buffalo Super Bowl teams; the 2001 to 2004 Patriots. 

You mean 92-95 Cowboys. I agree, they were thisclose from a 4 peat. So that is the correct answer.

Archived