This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Barr is already making $12 million in 2018. I don't think he will get much more than that on a per year basis. He plays a position that is not highly valued around the league.

Diggs is also a free agent in 2019.

Barr Diggs, Hunter and Kendricks are all key free agents in 2019. They will take up a lot of cap no doubt which may force some veterans like Remmers, Rudolph, and Murray off the team.

I'm not too worried about Sendejo. While he is a solid player, MN likely won't have too much issue drafting and developing his replacement within the next two years. Let's not forget that Zimmer is a DB guru.

It helps to have good coaching where MN should be able to keep the talent churning on the defensive side of the ball.

The Vikes are projected to have $50+ million in cap space in 2018. I'd look to devote a chunk of that to Diggs and Kendricks and figure out the QB situation whether that means going after Cousins or  bringing back Keenum or Bridegewater.

@vikingsrule

What type of APY are you thinking it takes to re-sign Diggs and Kendricks?  1 of the QB's (Cousins/Keenum/Bridgewater)?

I see Diggs at ~$12M;  Kendricks at ~$7-8M;   Keenum at ~$18-20M (Cousins around $25M, not sure about Bridgewater, but likely the cheapest of the group with the most unknowns)

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

@vikingsrule

What type of APY are you thinking it takes to re-sign Diggs and Kendricks?  1 of the QB's (Cousins/Keenum/Bridgewater)?

I see Diggs at ~$12M;  Kendricks at ~$7-8M;   Keenum at ~$18-20M (Cousins around $25M, not sure about Bridgewater, but likely the cheapest of the group with the most unknowns)

Adams got almost 15, no way Diggs goes for 12.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

@vikingsrule

Diggs 10

Kendricks 10

Cousins 29

Keenum 15

Teddy 8

I don't think Keenum has much leverage given how bad he was in the playoffs. I could see a bad team throwing a lot of money at him, I just don't get the feeling that Zimmer is all that comfortable with him.

Teddy is such an unknown at this point. There is still a chance that the Vikes could toll Teddy's contract, meaning that he would be under contract through 2018 at a very cheap price. Not sure how the NFLPA and Teddy would respond to that but it's a valid option given that Teddy hasn't really played in two years.

The Vikes seem to typically give out extensions in the summer so I wouldn't anticipate much for Barr, Diggs, Kendricks or Hunter until August.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Adams got almost 15, no way Diggs goes for 12.

If you add in the 2017 part of things for the SB proration, it drops it a little.  As Cwood noted, doing Diggs deal early allows the prorate to be spread out an additional year and softens the blow in the later years.  

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Diggs 10

Kendricks 10

Cousins 29

Keenum 15

Teddy 8

I don't think Keenum has much leverage given how bad he was in the playoffs. I could see a bad team throwing a lot of money at him, I just don't get the feeling that Zimmer is all that comfortable with him.

Teddy is such an unknown at this point. There is still a chance that the Vikes could toll Teddy's contract, meaning that he would be under contract through 2018 at a very cheap price. Not sure how the NFLPA and Teddy would respond to that but it's a valid option given that Teddy hasn't really played in two years.

The Vikes seem to typically give out extensions in the summer so I wouldn't anticipate much for Barr, Diggs, Kendricks or Hunter until August.

Seems like that $50M can go pretty quickly when you start paying multiple players new deals each over $10+M each

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Diggs 10

Kendricks 10

Cousins 29

Keenum 15

Teddy 8

Holy cheeze-its, that's wildly unrealistic.  As I've mentioned, go compare Stefon Diggs season to the one that Davante Adams just had and you're going to have an eerily similar level of production.  I suppose you could make the argument that Diggs being a year away from FA as opposed to Adams set to become a FA being a dealbreaker, but I'd make the counter argument that playing with far superior QB play has benefited Diggs significantly more than Adams.  Either way, tack on another $2M at the bare minimum.  Probably closer to $5M if his agent is even worth his salt.

Eric Kendricks and Kirk Cousins seem fine.  But that Keenum number is god awful.  If Mike Glennon can get a 3 year, $45M deal for mediocre QB play you better believe that Case Keenum will make significantly more.  As I mentioned in the Vikings forum, 3 years, $60M is probably the amicable middle ground for those two.  Bridgewater's contract is a huge wild card.

I could see Cousins demanding $25 mil. He comes from an Evangelical family and money is tantamount to everything they do. The Vikings are better off rolling the dice with Teddy. Teddy's injury was unfortunate, but I think he can come back for the right price. Cousins has talent and leadership abilities, but someone will overpay for him and be essentially disappointed in his performance because he's overly reliant on what's around him.

As for Diggs. He's worth 10 a year but unlike DeAndre Hopkins, he's QB reliant; he's gotta have a good QB to throw him the ball. Teddy COULD be that guy, but I just see more failure coming from Minnesota...

Kendricks is NOT worth 10 a year...Teddy and Kendricks are both equally valuable...

• 1 month later...

Man, if the Vikings sign Cousins, they're going to say goodbye to a lot of these players next year:

Kendricks, Floyd, Barr, Hunter and Diggs.

Almost guaranteed they'll lose one of Hunter or Diggs.

Don't know why they wouldn't just stick with Keenum, especially after what Foles just did.  They just played in the Championship round which had Bortles, Foles and Keenum and they're going to threaten their ability to maintain that defense for the long term by signing a slight upgrade at QB. 

11 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Man, if the Vikings sign Cousins, they're going to say goodbye to a lot of these players next year:

Kendricks, Floyd, Barr, Hunter and Diggs.

Almost guaranteed they'll lose one of Hunter or Diggs.

Don't know why they wouldn't just stick with Keenum, especially after what Foles just did.  They just played in the Championship round which had Bortles, Foles and Keenum and they're going to threaten their ability to maintain that defense for the long term by signing a slight upgrade at QB. 

They're damned if they do or don't. No one is winning a SB with Case Keenum. Keenum doesn't have the means to play as well as Foles those two games and the Vikings D is not the early 2000s Ravens.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:26 PM, Joe said:

I could see Cousins demanding $25 mil. He comes from an Evangelical family and money is tantamount to everything they do. The Vikings are better off rolling the dice with Teddy. Teddy's injury was unfortunate, but I think he can come back for the right price. Cousins has talent and leadership abilities, but someone will overpay for him and be essentially disappointed in his performance because he's overly reliant on what's around him.

He's a top 10 QB statistically. I think that much can be agreed upon. Is he a top 10 QB that deserves to be the highest paid QB/player in the league? Not on your life - which is another thing that can be agreed on.

To me, he's like Matt Ryan and maybe with a bit of Stafford thrown in. Good - yes - but will there be times in just about every game where he makes a bad mistake? Also yes IMO. Ryan has benefitted more times than I can count by extraordinary plays made by Julio Jones. His comfort zone / safety blanket to whom he's put up ill conceived and ill advised passes. The W or L is  determined on whether the D makes him pay for making it.