This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

I don't know why so many people are so afraid of making the right move just because "traditional wisdom" suggests otherwise. 

The Vikings should not give a deal to Teddy "Game Manager" Bridgewater.
The Vikings should not give a deal to Sam "Sneezes Way to IR" Bradford.
The Vikings should not give a big deal to, Case "Poor man's Rich Gannon flash in pan" Keenum. 

They should get a third round compensatory pick, a 4th round compensatory pick and a 5th round compensatory pick from all three of those quarterbacks leaving, and they should do what's in their power (30th overall, next year's first pick) to move up in the draft for the third or fourth QB off the board.

They're built for success for a long time WITH a franchise QB.  They don't have that franchise QB.  If they stick with what they've got, everyone knows they're not repeating this same success next year, especially with a healthy Rodgers and a new defense in Green Bay, but they will anyway because it's easier to forgive the "traditional wisdom" failure than it is to forgive the alternative.

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't know why so many people are so afraid of making the right move just because "traditional wisdom" suggests otherwise. 

The Vikings should not give a big deal to, Case "Poor man's Rich Gannon flash in pan" Keenum. 

They should get a third round compensatory pick, a 4th round compensatory pick and a 5th round compensatory pick from all three of those quarterbacks leaving, and they should do what's in their power (30th overall, next year's first pick) to move up in the draft for the third or fourth QB off the board.

They're built for success for a long time WITH a franchise QB.  They don't have that franchise QB.  If they stick with what they've got, everyone knows they're not repeating this same success next year, especially with a healthy Rodgers and a new defense in Green Bay, but they will anyway because it's easier to forgive the "traditional wisdom" failure than it is to forgive the alternative.

Thats close but not quite a "bullseye" to what I was just saying.

The Vikings are the absolute opposite of the Packers in terms of build, but they both have the same danger in the playoffs. If Rodgers doesn't have a great game, GB is going to lose and the defense isn't going to save them. Likewise, if Minnesota doesn't get a great performance from their D, they are going to lose and the offense isn't going to save them. We have seen this with both teams. When Rodgers doesn't perform, Packers get beat and usually in ugly fashion. When the defense doesn't step up, Minnesota gets hammered just like they did yesterday.  There is nothing wrong with what the Vikings are doing at QB. The defense failed them last night, not Keenum. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This is all true but Keenum gives you pause because if he can be an Alex Smith for you... he can always flirt with taking you all the way with how good the rest of the team is.

I agree they still need to draft a QB high... but they cant throw the baby out with the bath water here either. Because if their draft pick is Manziel or Leaf or name any bust... you are again wasting that defense.

They need to setup options. Like Seattle did, have a veteran you know you can rely on but draft a guy that could be the franchise. So the vet can be the bridge as the rookie learns and if the rookie fails... you have the veteran.

Just now, Green19 said:

This is all true but Keenum gives you pause because if he can be an Alex Smith for you... he can always flirt with taking you all the way with how good the rest of the team is.

I agree they still need to draft a QB high... but they cant throw the baby out with the bath water here either. Because if their draft pick is Manziel or Leaf or name any bust... you are again wasting that defense.

They need to setup options. Like Seattle did, have a veteran you know you can rely on but draft a guy that could be the franchise. So the vet can be the bridge as the rookie learns and if the rookie fails... you have the veteran.

You can't have it this way because of the contract Keenum is going to demand.  Alex Smith cost less than 18 million dollars a year for the past four years.  Even by four years ago, that was acceptable money for a QB like Smith.  Smith had proven himself to be a good game manager for several years with several different coordinators on two different teams.  If you're the Chiefs, you can accept that.

You can't do that with Keenum because he just had a damn good season and took the Vikings to the Championship game.  Mike damn Glennon counted 14 million against the cap for the Bears.  Mike damn Glennon, who hadn't started a game since week 9 of the 2014 season.

THAT is why the Vikings can't bank on one of their quarterbacks.  Each one of them is going to make more than they could afford to pay them in free agency this year, so I believe they're better off letting all three go. 

18 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You can't have it this way because of the contract Keenum is going to demand.  Alex Smith cost less than 18 million dollars a year for the past four years.  Even by four years ago, that was acceptable money for a QB like Smith.  Smith had proven himself to be a good game manager for several years with several different coordinators on two different teams.  If you're the Chiefs, you can accept that.

You can't do that with Keenum because he just had a damn good season and took the Vikings to the Championship game.  Mike damn Glennon counted 14 million against the cap for the Bears.  Mike damn Glennon, who hadn't started a game since week 9 of the 2014 season.

THAT is why the Vikings can't bank on one of their quarterbacks.  Each one of them is going to make more than they could afford to pay them in free agency this year, so I believe they're better off letting all three go. 

I guess... I just don’t think he gets THAT much. Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins are going to soak up the crazy stupid money I feel.

I just don’t know any team outside of Minnesota could look at Keenum and say “yeah I’m going to sign him to a big deal”, so I don’t see the market driving up his price like a Smith or Cousins. I mean maybe a truly desperate team like the Jets or Bills could shock me.

But it depends on Keenum... his best chance at repeat success is in Minnesota. He has to know that. Unless he gets crazy stupid money from say the jets it’s probably in his best interest to stay in Minnesota take a good fair deal for a year or 2 and really put back to back years together to strengthen his position.

• Like 2

If they sign Keenum and draft a QB....then what happens to Teddy ? Is he gonna sign in minny too, in hopes of beating out Keenum ?

If the vikes sign both Keenum and Bridgewater, they'll combine to earn elite QB money for 2 non-elite QBs.  Really interesting to see what happens here

And if they opt to draft a QB, that means they'd have to invest a bunch of draft capital this year to move up and grab a top guy,  and that hurts the rest of the team

If they take a lesser-rated QB later in the draft, how long before that guy is ready to beat out the Keenum/Bridgewater depth chart ?

They can't go into 2018 with just Teddy and they can't go with just Keenum. They have to hedge their bets with both of them. And OC Pat Shurmer is gone and Norv Turner is gone. So that means yet another OC and offense in minny... and another learning curve for whichever QBs they do sign

Crazy offseason ahead....maybe they should trade for Foles and hire De Filippo for the combo platter...

The Vikes would be smart to choose one to franchise and go up and try and get whomever between Jackson, Mayfield and Allen slip, or stay pat if you like Mason Rudolph and take him at 30.

I think Barr, Diggs, Kendricks, Waynes and maybe a few more starters are FA in 2019. No point in mini rebuilding yet, you have to go for it this year.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The Vikes would be smart to choose one to franchise and go up and try and get whomever between Jackson, Mayfield and Allen slip, or stay pat if you like Mason Rudolph and take him at 30.

I think Barr, Diggs, Kendricks, Waynes and maybe a few more starters are FA in 2019. No point in mini rebuilding yet, you have to go for it this year.

MIN 2019 UFA -- Barr, Diggs, Kendricks and Hunter.  

As noted, tough decision on a QB.  

Maybe they can re-sign Keenum for a short 2-3 year deal that has most of the cap hit early, pick a QB in the 2nd/3rd round if none fall into a range they can move up for.  If the rookie QB develops within the first 2 years, if the Keenum contract is structured well, they could move on from him and be able to retain enough of the key defensive pieces.   

Would be good to try to start signing a few of the 2019 FA class to extensions when they can.  Spread some of that  SB over an addition year.

The real problem isn't manipulating cap space - its having a QB and a defense good enough to win a Trophy.

Neither Keenum nor Bridgewater nor a draft pick fits that criteria in 2018.  Alex Smith, Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins might...vikes already spent a 1st on Bradford and another on Teddy. Their best bet might be to trade for a QB and sign Teddy or Keenum as insurance, with Teddy being the cheaper option

10 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The real problem isn't manipulating cap space - its having a QB and a defense good enough to win a Trophy.

Neither Keenum nor Bridgewater nor a draft pick fits that criteria in 2018.  Alex Smith, Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins might...vikes already spent a 1st on Bradford and another on Teddy. Their best bet might be to trade for a QB and sign Teddy or Keenum as insurance, with Teddy being the cheaper option

Yeah....I am not envious of their QB situation.  IMO, the definition of QB purgatory x3 with Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford.