This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

7 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

The Packers advantages over the Vikings are QB and offensive line.  IMO the offensive skill positions are close enough to be a push, Vikings certainly get more bang for their buck here.  The Vikings defense is a lot better than the Packers defense across the board, unless you maybe take Kenny Clark and whichever safety instead of Sendejo.  The Packers need all-world QB play to win, the Vikings need above average QB play to win.  I would say that the Vikings top to bottom are better.

I don't think the skill positions are that close tbh. Thielen/Diggs were a top 5 WR duo in the league this season. GB definitely needs another WR to pair with Davante. Rudolph is better than whatever GB has at TE right now. RB is interesting with both teams having rookie RB's who flashed explosive playmaking ability but both suffered injury. I'd say both teams are in good shape there at that position

13 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

The Packers advantages over the Vikings are QB and offensive line.  IMO the offensive skill positions are close enough to be a push, Vikings certainly get more bang for their buck here.  The Vikings defense is a lot better than the Packers defense across the board, unless you maybe take Kenny Clark and whichever safety instead of Sendejo.  The Packers need all-world QB play to win, the Vikings need above average QB play to win.  I would say that the Vikings top to bottom are better.

Again agreed... but rosters are built around  star players. My point is regardless how constructed, a team of 1 or a team with good talent top to bottom... it still renders the same results. 

Guess I just have an issue with the idea of “if you take Rodgers out...” because GB has built AROUND him as the center piece. So until GB gets a defense or Minnesota gets a QB, in a weird way we are in the same spot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

I don't think the skill positions are that close tbh. Thielen/Diggs were a top 5 WR duo in the league this season. GB definitely needs another WR to pair with Davante. Rudolph is better than whatever GB has at TE right now. RB is interesting with both teams having rookie RB's who flashed explosive playmaking ability but both suffered injury. I'd say both teams are in good shape there at that position

I have a different take.  As I noted, the Vikings have much better value at the skills.  The Packers spend eleventy billion dollars on WRs and Scumbag Bennett.  But some of the production issues with the Packers was because of how truly horrible Hundley played this season.  Trade Keenum for Hundley straight-up and the Vikings skill guys suddenly don't look so hot either.  But this is not the discussion that I hoped to have.  The Vikings defense is what really sets them above the Packers, and until the Packers can make up some ground on that side of the ball, or the Vikings get truly horrible QB play, the Vikings should be viewed as a better team.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

So do we want Minnesota to sign Bridgewater, Keenum or Bradford long term?

Not a single one scares me but I'm hoping for Teddy. He never played well against us.

Bradford's knee is shot, he's pretty much done at this point.  I'd imagine he'll get some sniffs from a team whose looking to develop their young passer (i.e. Arizona, Denver, etc.) but nobody is going to give him high guarantees or a guaranteed starter spot without a developmental type behind him.  As for Bridgewater, I think there's motivation for both sides to remain in Minnesota.  The Vikings want some sort of insurance in case Keenum's success this year is a mirage, so I wouldn't be surprised if they hammered out a 1 or 2 year deal to remain in Minnesota.  As for Keenum, I don't see any way the Vikings don't re-sign him.  You don't post that kind of season and let him walk.  At the very least, they're franchising him.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Again agreed... but rosters are built around  star players. My point is regardless how constructed, a team of 1 or a team with good talent top to bottom... it still renders the same results. 

Guess I just have an issue with the idea of “if you take Rodgers out...” because GB has built AROUND him as the center piece. So until GB gets a defense or Minnesota gets a QB, in a weird way we are in the same spot.

Let's make both teams 100% healthy.  Rodgers improves the Packers offense, pretty drastically.  The Vikings defense is still much, much better than that of the Packers.  Rodgers being injured didn't help the Vikings beat the Redskins, Falcons, or Bengals.  The Vikings are good.  This isn't the fluky 7-9 Seahawks we are talking about.

22 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Personally I think Keenum (even though most of the loss can be attributed to the defense) cost himself millions of dollars last night with the poor play of the offense.

How much value do you place on one game though? I guess I just don't see a $15 per year contract for Keenum if he wins the Super Bowl turning into a $3 per year because he lost the NFCC.  I think he was always going to get a mid-level contract after the season he had, regardless of his playoff outcomes.  And one can blame him for the Eagles loss but have to give credit for the Saints win as well.

45 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Personally I think Keenum (even though most of the loss can be attributed to the defense) cost himself millions of dollars last night with the poor play of the offense.

One game isn't going to cost Keenum millions.  He's going to get paid, and going to get paid handsomely.  There's too many QB-starved teams who wouldn't jump at the chance of signing him if the Vikings don't franchise him.  As I said in the Vikings forum, 3 years at $60M would be my target if I were his agent.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

One game isn't going to cost Keenum millions.  He's going to get paid, and going to get paid handsomely.  There's too many QB-starved teams who wouldn't jump at the chance of signing him if the Vikings don't franchise him.  As I said in the Vikings forum, 3 years at $60M would be my target if I were his agent.

That's nearly what Rodgers makes. If I'm the Vikings I say bye to Keenum and focus on resigning Teddy and drafting a QB.

Edited by TENINCH

1 minute ago, TENINCH said:

That's nearly what Rodgers makes. If I'm the Vikings I say bye to Keenum and focus on resigning Teddy and drafting a QB.

Good luck repeating your 2017 season then.  If you want to roll the dice with Teddy Bridgewater and/or hoping that a QB drops to the Vikings pick, go right ahead.  You're doing the Packers more favors.  Even if you believe that Keenum's season was an anomaly, you HAVE to franchise tag him.  The Vikings can't afford to let Keenum walk given the season he had.  Honestly, I'm not sure why Vikings' fans are so opposed to using the franchise tag.

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Let's make both teams 100% healthy.  Rodgers improves the Packers offense, pretty drastically.  The Vikings defense is still much, much better than that of the Packers.  Rodgers being injured didn't help the Vikings beat the Redskins, Falcons, or Bengals.  The Vikings are good.  This isn't the fluky 7-9 Seahawks we are talking about.

Not arguing the Vikings aren’t good. I’m arguing the notion and claim by GB’s President they have surpassed GB. I’d say at this point they are equals, just built very differently.

Although I’m pretty confident that a healthy Packers  team gives the eagles a better game yesterday. GBs defense I think is bad enough to give up 38 like the amazing Vikings defense. But GB’s offense easily puts up more then 7 points.

**but I’m glad Murphy is operating with that mind set. Changes needed to happen if they want anything more than just good**

Edited by Green19

The vikes won't win a Super Bowl with Keenum or Bridgewater or Bradford.  So it kinda doesn't matter who they keep. Their fate will be the same.

The only chance they have is to get a much better QB while the defense is still top notch. And even that's a challenge because that defense got beat by Cam Newton ( 31 points), Drew Brees ( 24 points in the 2nd half) and Nick Foles ( 31 points) in December/January

The vike defense didn't have the horses to pull it off on the road (or at home) in crunch time -  when paired with a subpar QB. 

IF they had a top notch QB, then maybe they can battle with the elite teams in December/January.

Teddy and/or Case  ?  No SB win, ever

Drafting late round QB ?  No SB win for 2-3 seasons

Zimmer's defense was 0-4 in the playoffs in Cincy. He's 1-2 in minny and the only win he got was on a Miracle. Zimmer is a very good NFL coach, but he's not good enough to overcome their limitations on both sides of the ball.

24 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The vikes won't win a Super Bowl with Keenum or Bridgewater or Bradford.  So it kinda doesn't matter who they keep. Their fate will be the same.

The only chance they have is to get a much better QB while the defense is still top notch. And even that's a challenge because that defense got beat by Cam Newton ( 31 points), Drew Brees ( 24 points in the 2nd half) and Nick Foles ( 31 points) in December/January

The vike defense didn't have the horses to pull it off on the road (or at home) in crunch time -  when paired with a subpar QB. 

IF they had a top notch QB, then maybe they can battle with the elite teams in December/January.

Teddy and/or Case  ?  No SB win, ever

Drafting late round QB ?  No SB win for 2-3 seasons

Zimmer's defense was 0-4 in the playoffs in Cincy. He's 1-2 in minny and the only win he got was on a Miracle. Zimmer is a very good NFL coach, but he's not good enough to overcome their limitations on both sides of the ball.

All true but can the Vikings really just let all their QBs go? They are in a tough spot... because the only FA options will be Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins and will either of them play better then Keenum did this year?

If I was a Vikings fan I would hope at this point that both parties are reasonable. Give Keenum his due but not break the bank on some crazy deal. Then draft like a JT Barrett and hope he is Russell Wilson 2.0.

Edited by Green19